spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TexasD

@comcast.net

Comcast charging for customer service?

Called Comcast today to have some service problems dealt with (tiling problems).

The CSR told me it would be $24 for the service call unless I had a in-house wiring maintenance plan for $2.50 a month.

So basically I'm now responsible for paying to fix Comcast's own service problems.

Has anyone else heard of this?

jpg366

join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX
If line losses are in your internal wiring, you'd expect to pay for a call if you don't have the monthly service "insurance."

If they find a bad signal level to your home, you'd have a good argument against paying for the service call.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to TexasD
If the issue is found to be caused by your homes wiring you will be charged a service call charge and the repair will be made. If the issue is your drop or on the plant outside there is no fee.
The Inside Wire Maintenace Plan covers your homes wiring.. and pretty much everything else a tech will come across.

Way to pick up on the context clues. Try to get your phone company to fix your wiring issues for less then $100.00 walking in the door.

Just a heads up, most tiling issues and intermittent issue are resolved inside the home. Some are plant and signal related.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

bicker

join:2007-05-10
Burlington, MA
Indeed. Comcast, like all common carriers, is only responsible for bringing service to the outer wall of your home. Inside wiring has been the homeowners' responsibility for many many years.

TexasD

@comcast.net
Inside Wiring isn't the issue.

They wanted to post a $24 charge on my bill BEFORE they came out and even figured out what the problem was.

I've got new professionally installed inside wiring. In fact Comcast has installed an AMP inside my house to boost the signal coming off of the drop.

The CSR wasn't even waiting for the problem to be diagnosed. She just started out with a $24 charge.

I looking for others that have had this problem not people to lecture me out who's responsibility Inside Wiring is.

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA
The CSR should have "advised" you that there COULD be a charge. Not outright There Is A Charge ! As Tool stated above If its Your fault (bad split/cables inside) then its a small fee. If its Outside , then its On us. I will charge maybe 20% of the calls I go out on. Hell even the Turn your set to ch 4/3 I will make something up that is Not chargable. Some things are just going to happen in the industry , some in the customers control some in the companies control. If you are paying for a service it should work, and I personaly do not think You the customer should be liable for the little things.
Now if you move equipment to a room that has nothing , or is sub par, or fry a box , spaz out on a modem with a hammer (which I have had) than damn Skippy you should pay. The small stuff I try to overlook.
Simple theory for me is , if the call should have caught it and could have resolved , well thats on US. If it takes a lot of work and hassle to repair (inside) well that could be on you. If you are new to the home and I have to bust my butt , I blame it on the previous tenants and its on us.

CableTool
Premium
reply to TexasD
said by TexasD :

The CSR wasn't even waiting for the problem to be diagnosed. She just started out with a $24 charge.

I looking for others that have had this problem not people to lecture me out who's responsibility Inside Wiring is.
The CSRs are drilled to make each caller aware of the charge. That way when the tech shows up and states the resolution is billable the sub does not say "WHAT! I wasnt aware there could be a possible charge!!"
There is no way a charge would be applied to your account BEFORE the tech even shows up. Its a simple misunderstanding.

And "professionally installed wiring" is completely wrecked out every single day.
Especially if the "Professional Installer" is an electrician who only knows how to wire for antennae.
--

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2
reply to TexasD
said by TexasD :

Inside Wiring isn't the issue.
Well, guess what? You are going to find many who have had this same problem. Why? Because Comcast has hundreds and hundreds of systems all over the country and thousands and thousands of people have had this problem because of something that was happening inside their home.

I don't think anyone was lecturing you, as much as they were making you aware of why there is a service call charge. It's simple. Inside problem = $24 charge. Outside problem = FREE.

said by TexasD :

So basically I'm now responsible for paying to fix Comcast's own service problems.
No, you are responsible for the wiring inside your home that Comcast does not own. If someone from Comcast professionally wired your house a month ago, and you are experiencing problems already, then they should come to your house for nothing. But if you hired an outside contractor to wire your home and there is a problem, then why should they eat the cost of them coming to your house?

And just because Comcast put an amp inside your house, doesn't mean that something is wrong on their side. If you have an excessive amount of cable outlets (typically more than 4) then you would NEED a signal boost to make up for the splitter loss, even if the outside network is functioning perfectly.

Bottom line is, you came to a forum to ask if someone had heard of what you experienced, and the answer turns out to be something you don't want to hear. And I would definitely understand your frustration if you hired someone outside of the cable industry to professionally wire your house and it was diagnosed as problematic. Nobody would want to hear that. However, I don't see how you can get upset at Comcast at this point for making you aware of the POSSIBILITY of a charge that COULD occur if they have to fix YOUR property.

Lastly, if you are so sure that your inside wiring is not to blame, then you why would you even care about a charge that only occurs if they have to fix your inside wiring?

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX
reply to TexasD
Funny it was the cable company that came in and did the inside wiring in the first place. So now if something were to happen to the job they initially did it becomes our responsibility to pay for it. So they do an initially crappy job and then want us to pay for them to fix it.

bicker

Burlington, MA
If you don't have a wire maintenance plan through Comcast, you are absolutely responsible for the inside wiring, unless you have a explicit or implicit warranty from the folks who did the actual wiring work, and if so, your recourse is directly with the folks who did the wiring, not the folks who happened to have installed an amp for you.

Incidentally, note that if Verizon wired your home for telephone, if there is a problem after you take ownership of your home, then it is your responsibility. The same goes for electric wiring, plumbing, walls, floors, windows, doors, etc. You have a limited warranty when you purchase a new home. Through the builder you can perhaps capitalize on that. However, if you bought a resale, you signed papers explicitly stating that you're accepting the house AS IS (with standard exclusions regarding known but unrevealed faults). That means you are personally taking responsibility for anything in the home that fails from that point forward.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX
The folks who did the wiring were the cable company.

So why should we pay maintenance to the same people who put it in the first place.

I had a drop made 3 months ago. If something should go bad with the drop I must [pay for a tech visit or I must pay a maintenance fee. So Comcast does not stand behind their work?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to TexasD
do you read?!?! the drop is outside...NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Flippant
if it was done by comcast you should not have any problem with them charging you. now if your dog chewed the line or a mouse chewed it. that may be a seperate circumstance but you wont find many people complaining about the policy simply because its a fair policy. bottom line if comcast is responsible you wont have to pay either way but if its a problem not of comcasts making you will have to pay if you dont have the line protection plan. this policy is years old. if the cable company installed all your wiring dont worry about it. you wont be charged unless its not wire related.

MadMANN3
Premium
reply to Flippant
said by Flippant:

Funny it was the cable company that came in and did the inside wiring in the first place. So now if something were to happen to the job they initially did it becomes our responsibility to pay for it. So they do an initially crappy job and then want us to pay for them to fix it.
Ok, so now we have a straight answer as to who did the wiring in your home.

Now that we have this info, the next question(s) would be:

How long ago did they do it?
Have you changed anything since?

If it was a matter of months ago and a tech sees a flaw in what the last tech did, then the tech has the power to not charge you to fix company-provided work. If it was a matter of years ago, then the their work is likely not the cause of what is happening now. Animals can chew through wires in an attic, power surges can damage cable, and splitters can go bad, just to name a few examples. The more time that passes, the less responsible they are for your house wiring.

Similarly, if you decided you didn't want to pay Comcast to run another line in a bedroom, so you bought a splitter and a 50' piece of cable from radio shack, installed the stuff, and affected the rest of your house system by doing so, the responsibility falls on you.

A good analogy would be a TV purchase. You buy a $2K LCD tv and do not get the extended warranty. The initial warranty is for a year. One year and 2 months later, something goes wrong with your TV. Guess who is paying for the repair?

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do to get your issue resolved is to schedule the appointment. For all you know, the box might be going bad, in which case they'll replace it free of charge. If it is in your house wiring, you can explain to the tech that it was professionally done by someone at Comcast. Depending on your answers to the above questions, you can take it from there.

Regardless, your CSR did his/her job absolutely perfectly by making you aware of the possible charges. Just remember that POSSIBLE is not synonymous with PROBABLE or DEFINITE.

bicker

Burlington, MA

1 edit
reply to Flippant
said by Flippant:

The folks who did the wiring were the cable company. So why should we pay maintenance to the same people who put it in the first place.
Because wiring inside your home plus a service plan to maintain that wiring costs more than the wiring alone. It's like buying a television: You can buy a 1 year, 2 year, 3 year or 4 year extended warranty -- yes, pay the television manufacturer extra for fixing the television they made for you if it breaks.

Read your contract. What does it say with regard to the warranty for the services they provide you? Don't rely on what you WANT the contract to cover. Don't rely on what you FEEL the contract should cover. Rely ONLY on what the contract DOES cover.

bicker

Burlington, MA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to MadMANN3
said by MadMANN3:

Regardless, your CSR did his/her job absolutely perfectly by making you aware of the possible charges.
This is really critical: It blows my mind how obstinate some people are about this sort of thing. You practically have to hit them over the head with warnings about something possibly having a cost associated with it, or they'll insist, swearing to God above, that no one ever said that there could be a cost, or worse yet, swearing that they were told it would be free.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX
reply to TexasD
I have been paying for cable for 20+ years, never had to pay for wiring. Especially never had to pay the same company that did the original wiring to come back and do it again. It all just rubs me wrong. As bad as my drop appointment went it would not surprise me that something would go wrong with it. The way Comcast (and yes other providers like at&t do it too) are nickel and diming their customers to death is just sickening. It almost gives them a reason to do crappy work.

bicker

Burlington, MA

1 recommendation

I think if we consumers were more willing to pay a premium (read: higher) base price, without hopping back and forth between providers to get the lowest base price all the time, suppliers (of both products and services) would probably be more willing to forgo charging for incrementals -- they would probably even be able to compete on what incrementals they include in their base prices.

Ebolla

join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA
reply to Flippant
said by Flippant:

The folks who did the wiring were the cable company.

So why should we pay maintenance to the same people who put it in the first place.
An electrician install electrical in home, why should it be your responsibility if wiring needs to be replaced.

a Plumber installed pipes within home why should it be your responsibility if you get a leak.

Just because a company did the initial install doesn't mean they will replace lines for no charge. This isnt anything new, these rules have always been in place( at least in New England) but alot of times if it is something simple like a jumper or a bad splitter a tech just codes off as a no charge. Comcast covers its own equipment inside home, as well as from pole to demark point, from demark to box is internal and customers responsibility.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX
An electrician/plumber etc is contracted to do just the install. The cable company is paid for on-going service to bring a product in my house month to month. The cable company is responsible for the transport of the signal into my house. Until this latest gouge into my back pocket that included to the STB. Now they want to disown the wiring they installed in my house in the first place. So if a cable or a splitter or a connector in my house goes bad, they claim no responsibility for something they had been for the last 20 years. Big difference.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by Flippant:

An electrician/plumber etc is contracted to do just the install. The cable company is paid for on-going service to bring a product in my house month to month. The cable company is responsible for the transport of the signal into my house. Until this latest gouge into my back pocket that included to the STB.
They do bring it in your house each month, the drop is there responsibility and no one has refuted that. As soon as they drill through your wall and stick the drop through, its in your house and responsibility becomes yours, especially if you expect a decent service.

They also transport the signal to your house each month, look outside at all the hardline CoAx up on the poles and goinginto the ground and passing your home.
--
BlockNews.Net- Quality Usenet Block And Unlimited Accounts

ada

@comcast.net
reply to TexasD
wait just a minute.. the wire is your property.. cable guy installed it-but u own it. just like the plumbing in your house-u own it, but gee boss-a plumber installed it?!

bicker

Burlington, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Flippant
said by Flippant:

An electrician/plumber etc is contracted to do just the install. The cable company is paid for on-going service to bring a product in my house month to month.
Now I believe you're just making things up. Please post a picture of the contract you signed with the cable company to wire your home that said that the price you paid for the wiring included wire maintenance in perpetuity.

I didn't think so.

Take personal responsibility and stop blaming others to assuage your frustration.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
Katy, TX
reply to TexasD
For the last 20 years I have been able to call my cable company, have them come to my house and fix any problem up to my tv for FREE. Ever since Comcast has taken control in my city my service has seen erosion eroded and fee increases (15% - welcome to Houston charge). This is just the latest salvo in a very crappy introduction to Houston. As much as I was annoyed by Time Warner they were a blessing compared to the service Comcast has presented so far.

Call it what you will it is just anoher fee created by Ciomcast that I never had before. You can keep telling me how great they are but nothing can be further from the truth in my experience. It is no wonder they are the lowest rated major cable service in the US. You can continue arguing now until you are blue in the face but so far the service speaks for itself. Nuff said.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
time warner has the same fee. phone, electric, gas all are companies we pay a monthly service fee and none of them delivers free inhouse service calls. the phone companies like 75 dollars to walk thru the door and just troubleshoot a problem + hourly to repair anything. the gas company is going to be a minimum of 150.00 and probably more depending on whats done. the last time i was without electric, a switch tripped on a transformer and because it was sunday they didnt even want to send anyone out. finally they agreed and said if it wasnt a problem on their end ide be charged 200.00 because it was sunday and they wouldnt even fix it. if you dont like it you can go to satellite but they also have the fees. hell they charge you to fix a reciever that you rent from them. be glad its very rare for anyone to actually be charged the fee. if comcast installed the line and it goes bad and wasnt altered just tell the tech and if you didnt alter it he isnt going to charge you. its not rare at all for people to think that until you point out that since it was installed some fool came and installed three splitters with twiston fittings in the line to hook up other tvs. and by fool i mean the subs 12 year old son or a friend of a friend. the fees mostly for people in the latter category or repeat multiple troublecall problems. or just pay the service protection plan and dont worry at all. its a choice that only you can make.

bicker

Burlington, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Flippant
said by Flippant:

Call it what you will it is just anoher fee created by Ciomcast that I never had before.
Rest assured that if the fees get to be higher than the service is worth, you and others will make other purchasing decisions, and service providers will get the message that the fees are too high. Until then.... Keep in mind that people have been complaining about rising fees since the concept of money was invented. With regard to cable companies specifically, fees have been rising steadily, and yet subscriptions continue to rise. Anyone who would conclude that increasing fees is a bad business decision from that data doesn't understand business.

bicker

Burlington, MA
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

time warner has the same fee.
Yes, I was going to point that out. I've noticed that it is very common -- very human -- to remember the past fondly, as if through rose-colored glasses. "The grass is always greener ... " That sort of thing.

CableTool
Premium
I know Comcast got into it hot and heavy when they got into phone. Once you become the phone provider you assume those lines as well.
There is actually a regulation that had to be followed once you offer "Cable Guard" or inside wire maintenance. You have to cover all wiring.
So if they are expected to go through and repair your homes phone wiring once they become your provider.. without having previously installed it, then there is a charge.
Once that went through the same thing had to be done with Cable.
Ill still walk into a house to this day and have the customer swear we installed her cable 10 years ago. Its all radioshack with premade fittings. Materials any cable company wouldnt use. Thats the homes wiring. Same with phone, electric ,etc. Its your property. You will be charged a fee to have it maintained.
I believe there is also a clause in regards to new installs. if it was installed X amount of months ago no charges can be incurred due to home wiring. As long as we installed it.
Not assumed its use because it was present during the installation.
--

MadMANN3
Premium

1 edit
reply to Flippant
I must say, all of this complaining is pretty premature, considering the tech hasn't even been to your house yet. There is a good chance the tech will show up, diagnose the problem, and do something simple to fix it. At that point, many techs just write it off at no charge and move on. This whole thread started because a CSR advised you of the mere possibility.

Incidentally, I would hate to be the CSR at the satellite company who had to tell you about the $100 charge for a tech to come to your house or the $7 monthly fee for their wire guard.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Flippant
You get a 30 day warranty period. If there is any problem with the wiring, it's going to show up.. well,... immediately.

30 days, for inside wiring, is an eternity. Just because comcast put it in for you, you think they should cover things like the cable being physically damaged? wall plates being pulled off? loose fittings because the customer moved something and didn't righten it down? Customers who have made changes to the wires.. additions.. etc?

Think about it...

You hired Comcast, or ANY cable company - just as phone - to put the wires in for you SEPARATE from the monthly service.

I suppose that the cable that comcast put in if it goes bad after you've had satellite come in should be repaired by comcast when satellite runs on that line?

You have the option to do your own wiring, hire an electrician (good luck with that) or hire the provider direct. In any case, the people's beloved congress has determined that you own the wires..
--
"Complaining is the least path of resistance for the self-serving, the lazy, and I’m told it’s a woman’s prerogative..."