how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sarken

join:2005-07-18
Attleboro, MA

Digital Voice problem sending a fax

My parents have Comcast Digital Voice with two lines. One for phone and one for fax. They are having problems with the fax when sending, they are getting unsent errors.

Are there any know problems using Digital Voice and a fax?

Thanks,
Ken

Madcap
Baby's on Fire
Premium
join:2004-06-26
Fpo, AP

IIRC, VOIP was never meant for faxing. Fax machines expect certian queues and wait times associated with POTS and always has a problem sending or receiving faxes.

Going off memory here, so someone with better knowledge feel free to jump in.

Apollo729

join:2006-08-28
Avis, PA
reply to sarken

Might not be what you want to hear but I would suggest going w/ a service like RapidFax, it doesn't cost all that much and may work a lot better for you, could save cost on paper and ink depending on the number of faxes you send.

»www.rapidfax.com/homepage/index.html
--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2
reply to sarken

Two things come to mind when I hear fax trouble in association with CDV.

1. Reverse polarity.
2. Crossed lines.

If it is one of those things, a tech should be able to fix it.

sarken

Attleboro, MA
reply to sarken

Thank you all for the info.

Ken

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

Also try lowering the data rate on the fax machine. Most newer ones want to send at 14.4k, if you knock it down to 9600bps you might have more success.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2

said by Jahntassa:

Also try lowering the data rate on the fax machine. Most newer ones want to send at 14.4k, if you knock it down to 9600bps you might have more success.
I forgot about that one. Very true.

employee

@comcast.net
reply to sarken

make sure that the number on the second line is provisiined or call ATS

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to sarken

check their voice mail too....maybe its trying to dial out before it actually gets dial tone

sarken

Attleboro, MA
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

Thanks for the info. I will be stopping by their house today and it always helps to have a few fixes before troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Ken

kb9rre

join:2008-02-08
Homewood, IL
reply to sarken

i have the same issues. tried a dsl filter but that did no help. it is hit and miss works at times

kb9rre

join:2008-02-08
Homewood, IL
reply to Jahntassa

tried that still hit and miss

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to sarken

I had a splitter that one went to the fax machine and one to the telephone by my parents PC downstairs (fax is next to pc). I found out I had to disconnect the splitter and connect the fax directly to the wall for it to work. I dunno why and was wondering how I could fix this so my parents dont have to go under the desk and reach up to swap everytime they want to use the fax?

alalper
Premium
join:2000-08-20
Philadelphia, PA
reply to sarken

I have 2 CDV lines here (1 voice and 1 voice and fax). All the telephones are 2 line sets (even the cordless base station and about 6 handsets).

I have absolutely no problems sending or receiving faxes with the lone exception that I can't have the fax set to auto-answer (that feature on my HP Officejet Pro L7680 only works with an answering machine and not voicemail).

Since the printer/fax is networked, I can fax from any of my computers, from the flatbed scanner, or the automatic document feeder.

Considering all of the above, I'd have to say that there is something that you don't have set up properly. Possibly reverse polarity or possibly the configuration of your fax machine.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to sarken

How old and or what model is the fax machine?

CDV can certainly handle faxing..

cdv

@comcast.net
reply to sarken

also try to disable ECM(Error Correction Mode) and set the fax to the lowest print quality i.e regular print as opposed to picture quality

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to sarken

I use CDV second line for faxing and have had no issues.
My CDV second line was specifically set up with no incoming message service so that option does not kick in before the fax machine answers.

th3imm0rtal

join:2008-03-30
Osceola, IN

1 edit
reply to sarken

As a Comcast tech I can tell you that certain fax machine models do have compatibility issues with the digital voice service, but not all of them. I can't recall specific models with isues, but do know several HP models and Hitatchi models will not work without shorting the EMTA modem out. It's more or less a matter of trial and error it seems. I have not been given any type of list with known model problems, but I intend to develope my own as I do the installations. It's always my worst nightmare though when I have the customer try their fax out after the install to find out it does not work and then get chewed out for something that I cannot prevent. I do forewarn customers with fax machines that some models have compatibility issues before I begin the install, but it would be nice to have a list.

As far as a problem a tech can fix: If a customer does not have a fax machine when I perform the install, I will cut out the black and yellow wires from my backfeed as to reduce the chance of crossing wires. Red and green is all that is necessary for a phone. If the customer then goes out and gets a fax machine it will not work. Crossing wires is not usually a fax problem with CDV because the EMTA modem is just as picky as any fax machine, if a wire is crossing, the modem will tend to short out. The first indicator of this is if I backfeed and the Telephone1 light flashes as if the phone is in use when indeed there is no phone off the hook. If this light flashes and the phone is not in use, a wire is touching somewhere and the modem will fail shortly. If this is happening I usually have to toubleshoot by separating all lines being fed and tieing them back in one at a time until one of them shorts the modem out indicating it needs repaired/replaced. Polarity issues are nearly the same in that it will short the modem out before you even have a chance to try your fax machine.

-Mike

Cableteked
Premium
join:2007-11-22
Aurora, CO
reply to sarken

The biggest issues with fax machines and our CDV service is shorting and polarity as stated. This is due to most fax machines having their #1 & 4 (the left and right outside pins on the RJ11 port) being solder to chassis ground inside the machine. The clipping of the black and yellow solves this issue quickly as the eMTA always has voltage on these pins ( 1 & 4) for line 2. Even if there is only 1 provisioned phone number. This removal of blk/yellow also solves crossing and line 2 wiring shorting issues. A incorrect silver satin wire connecting the eMTA to the wall (back feed) will cause a fax to dial out but unable to receive an inbound fax. Sounds like this is an outbound issue.
I would start by checking all the fax machine settings and verifying the number being dialed. Send in a test fax, then return it to the same number. If this fails call us for a tech visit so the phone wiring can be verified. But yes, fax machines work just fine over the CDV service once the individual bugs with particular set-ups are worked out.

warezaholic

@aol.com
reply to th3imm0rtal

th3imm0rtal

You can put the HP all-in-one 7130 at the top of the list!

I had Comcast techs out ant they were stumped and could not figure out the problem.

My symptoms include the dial tone comming on and right as the fax starts to dial, the dial tone fades out, then right back in before the dialing is completed!!! Therefore the dialing process is interrupted!

Even if the dialing process makes a connection, I get an error that "fax send failed"! This is very frustrating! I don"t fax all that often but it would be nice if someone could get HP to address the issue!

Joe
warezaholic@gmail.com