uniqs
brawney
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD

brawney

Premium Member

Bridge Mode and Port Forwarding Problems

I reset my Westell B90 (the old white DSL router) back to factory mode, then configured it to bridge mode. I plugged in my new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and configured it to do the PPPoE. I can get to the internet and all that standard stuff works.

But, I have a server running in the house that I need to access from the outside. Its running Apache and is listening on a particular port number. It was working until I made the switch to the B90 and Linksys from the Versalink which I was having disconnect problems with.

I am still able to connect to the server from other computers inside the house but not from the outside. I configured the port forwarding in the Linksys as directed. I can see a request in the Linksys "incoming" log for that port so I know I'm hitting the Linksys from the outside. But the system on the outside says it cannot connect.

I've tried about everything I can think of but cannot figure this one out.

One question I have is what IP should I set the LAN port on the B90 (white DSL router in bridge mode) to? It is currently 192.168.1.1 and my Linksys is 192.168.1.2 and everything else inside the house is 192.168.1.15 and on up.

This stinks. My server was working on the Versalink but now that I switched to this setup I can't access the server from the outside. Any help would be appreciated.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Not one of my strong areas, but I'd try making the modem 192.168.2.1. YOu can also try opening up the same portson the modem. I would think since it's in Bridge mode it wouldn't matter, but like I said, this I'm not real familiar with this stuff.
brawney
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

1 edit

brawney

Premium Member

Thanks. I tried that and I tried making it 10.10.10.1. I went into the Westell, changed it back to PPPoE so I could see the firewall settings, turned off the firewall, changed back to bridge mode and still doesn't work.

Like I said, I can see the port hitting the Linksys, so I guess it wouldn't be a firewall issue.

I tried the DMZ mode of the Linksys. I tried setting up the port triggers too. I turned off the firewall on the Linksys.

Nothing works. Guess I'll work with it more in the morning.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by brawney:

I can see the port hitting the Linksys, so I guess it wouldn't be a firewall issue.
That tells you Verizon is not blocking the specific port # and the DSL modem is really in bridge mode.

Since you can access the server locally you also know the server is working as advertised.

So for some reason the router is not forwarding incoming connection requests to the server.

Is this a webserver or using FTP? FTP can be difficult to set up due to the way ports are assigned.

If it is a web server, Verizon blocks port 80 so you need to use some other port to establish the connection. Could you have misconfigured the router?

/tom
brawney
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

brawney

Premium Member

Thanks Tom. It is a Subversion server. On the Versalink I just enabled the port forwarding for the one port I was using and it worked.

Guess I'm going to have to call Linksys support tomorrow.
brawney

1 edit

1 recommendation

brawney

Premium Member

This guy »yoshi.us/forums/archive/ ··· 219.html says that the Linksys has a bug. He says version 5 and 6, while I have version 8, but it sounds like it still isn't fixed. Wonder if Linksys support will give me a straight answer on this?

Option #2 is to take this one back to Best Buy and return it for another unit - maybe a NetGear.
glemlin
join:2006-07-28
Thunder Bay, ON

glemlin to brawney

to brawney
If you're stating it's a known but with certain versions, try using a third party firmware with it, as stated in that link even, dd-wrt has a version made for versions 5-8.
brawney
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

brawney

Premium Member

said by glemlin:

If you're stating it's a known but with certain versions, try using a third party firmware with it, as stated in that link even, dd-wrt has a version made for versions 5-8.
Thanks for the suggestion but at this point I am not sure if I want to go to that much trouble. You buy something new and you expect it to work.

It would be easier to return it to Best Buy and pick up a NetGear.
brawney

brawney

Premium Member

All - thanks for the help. I have the problem fixed. I returned the Linksys, purchased a NetGear WPN824 and all works well now. Port forwarding works in the NetGear product.