spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jim C

@swbell.net

2Wire 2701HG-B: Can I get better wireless range?

I recently purchased a 2Wire 2701HG-B through the ATT Store to replace a 2Wire HomePortal 1000HW that quit working. I am not getting as much wireless range with this model as I was getting with the 1000HW. Some rooms in my house have no wireless signal. Does SBC/ATT offer a modem/router that that has better range than the 2701HG-B? When I ordered this one from the ATT Store, they didn't mention that there were any other options (and I didn't ask, I just assumed they were sending me the only replacement that was available). Any other ideas to get longer range on my wireless signal? Thanks. And please forgive any posting miscues--I'm a newbie.

Billusa

join:2000-03-08
Dallas, TX
Have you cranked up the transmit power to 100% yet? Once I did that, mine improved dramatically. And, the higher up you can get it, the better the coverage.
--
...Bill

Jim C

@swbell.net
Bill,
Thanks for the reply. You are right on target. After I posted my first message, I got ATT tech support on the phone and figured out that the power setting was only at "4" out of a possible "10" (I guess I should have called them earlier, but they hadn't been very helpful when I'd called them in the past). Anyway, with the power cranked up to "10", connectivity has been restored to my teenager's room and peace has been restored to my household.
Thanks.
Jim

Billusa

join:2000-03-08
Dallas, TX
Surf on!
--
...Bill

mcastill66

join:2007-11-20
El Paso, TX
reply to Jim C
I think this may be my issue also. My son has a Nintendo Wii that when gaming online, drops connection here and there. Where do you go to change this setting?

TIA
Mike

ColonelPanic

join:2007-03-06
Beverly Hills, CA
Mcastill66, Open your web browser and surf to »gateway.2wire.net. Click on the Icon that says home network on the top of the page. Click the link for wireless settings. Enter your system password for the gateway if prompted. The output power setting will be down at the bottom of the page. Also keep if mind if you have other wireless networks in range you may need to modify the wireless output channel to one that is not overlapping with a nearby WAP. Good luck