uniqs

illJazz
Premium Member
join:2002-09-04
Zurich

illJazz to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed

Re: Got new hard drive, Vista can't see it?

said by CylonRed:

If the drive was retail then there should be a cd with it - which would include a utility to check the hard drive. If it is OEM then you should be able to download the program.

I would boot to the cd or utility and check the hard drive - see if the software that bypasses Windows can see the drive and then partition/format it.
It's retail and did come with a CD. The sticker on the retail box has a Vista compatibility sticker.. the manual that came with the drive only lists Win2k/XP support. I just checked the WD support website, and the latest version of their Data Lifeguard Tools suite is from April 2006 and has no support for Vista: »support.wdc.com/download ··· 9&swid=1

Still.. I shouldn't need the CD at all just to add a new drive to my system. The Disk Management way of doing things should be perfectly ok.. but the drive doesn't show up. I'm puzzled. Perhaps it's DOA? But if it is.. then why the heck does it show up in BIOS and POST.. :/

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I agree that you should not 'need' to but the point was to see if their software can see the drive and interact with it.

I would try the cd that came with the box anyhow if there was a sticker for Vista compatibility. It would not be the first time a web site did not have the newest software version.

sechs
Premium Member
join:2001-07-19
Wrong Coast

sechs to illJazz

Premium Member

to illJazz
Does the drive appear in the device manager?

illJazz
Premium Member
join:2002-09-04
Zurich

illJazz

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

I agree that you should not 'need' to but the point was to see if their software can see the drive and interact with it.

I would try the cd that came with the box anyhow if there was a sticker for Vista compatibility. It would not be the first time a web site did not have the newest software version.
It has some pretty useless stuff on it when I look at it while running Vista.. I highly doubt it's bootable, but I'll try and see where that gets me.
said by sechs:

Does the drive appear in the device manager?
Nope. If you mean under "disk drives", no. It's just not there. This could be a simple BIOS setting I overlooked, but I checked the BIOS more than once already and did not find anything that's set incorrectly..