Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

reading content of an OEM partition

One of my PC (Dell GX620) at work has a partition that is shown as: "102 MB FAT Healthy (EISA Configuration)" in Disk Management. How can I find out what's in that partition?

I'm planning on reformatting and repartitioning said disk, and I don't want to wipe out something important.

TIA

eX_NihiLo
Here's Your Something For Nothing
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Louisville, CO

can you get into the partition via the Boot Menu of your BIOS? Typically those OEM partitions are for restore utilities and the like.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

Thanks, that was it. The menu with F12 has an option to boot into utility partition, from where I could run some diagnostics. So I guess I'll spare it.

jsolo1
Premium
join:2001-07-01
reply to aurgathor

102 MB is not enough to house any restore data. That's the diagnostic partition. Contains diag utilities.
--
Insanity is living in a state of disillusion.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to aurgathor

I hate those stupid partitions ... recently a friend fried their HDD in a Dell laptop, so we replaced the drive, and fortunately there was a backup so I could do a full restore. In the process I said, meh, we don't need that extra partition, we'll reclaim the space.

Result: "Windows cannot boot due to a disk configuration error..." which is Bill Gates' long-winded way of telling you that the boot.ini file expected to find Windows in the second partition and now can't find it!! Solution is to fix boot.ini either by hand or using one of the methods Microsoft tells you about (I used a BartPE boot CD).

Of course this doesn't matter if you're reinstalling from scratch, just something to keep in mind if/when restoring from backup.
--
"Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain" -- Friedrich Schiller