·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Small history of Cable in little ole Berks County, PA

Full story here:
When TV Was Young c/o Reading Eagle
»readingeagle.com/article ··· id=54325

Berks TV Cable Co. was granted a nonexclusive franchise in late 1963 to bring what was then called CATV — community-antenna television — to the Reading area.

Cable systems began in rural areas that either were too far from broadcast stations or geographically inaccessible to over-the-air signals. The earliest systems generally are credited to Mahanoy City, Schuylkill County, and Astoria, Ore., where cable TV pioneers installed antennas on mountains and wired their communities.

Bruce E. Shaak, community programming manager for Comcast’s Reading division, started with BerksCable in 1977. By then, it was owned by ATC, Denver, Colo., and was one of the 10 largest cable systems in the nation.

Shaak, 53, recalled the challenges of those earlier years, when it was difficult just keeping BerksCable’s 12 channels up and running.

"The biggest challenge was equipment," Shaak said. "When it got really hot or really cold, you had outages."

Another challenge was sending cable signals long distances because frequent amplifiers were needed to boost the signal. Shaak remembered when the company first ran cable from Reading to Wernersville.

"That was considered like a moon shot back then," he said.

The city resident also remembered the dilemma caused by the FCC’s rules mandating which local stations the cable company had to carry.

"We had 15 channels we were obligated to carry and 12 channels to put them on," Shaak said.

The only solution was to have stations share channel space, he said, which sometimes led to customer complaints when automated equipment switched from one station to another in the middle of a late-running sports event or movie.

But BerksCable also acquired a national reputation for promoting locally originated programming, which Shaak credited to the late Earl W. Haydt.

Haydt became BerksCable’s manager in 1966, and worked to spread innovative ideas throughout the community, such as a local access channel and teleconferences among high schools, City Hall and other community sites.

BerksCable wasn’t the only system building a local network. At one point, the county was served by as many as seven cable systems, including Service Electric Cablevision, which still has subscribers in a number of eastern Berks County municipalities.

By the late 1970s, technological innovations were allowing cable systems to expand their offerings. In 1987, BerksCable finished rebuilding its system to handle 60 channels.

Several mergers and acquisitions later, BerksCable was gone, its system under the umbrella of Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp., the nation’s largest cable system with some 23 million subscribers.

Today, with a TV station for every niche interest, with cable and satellite systems offering 300-plus channels and TV signals transmitted to everything from computers to cell phones, it’s hard to imagine that half a century ago, television was little more than a novelty.

-----------------

What the article doesn't mention is...
BerksCable was also TCI, Time Warner Cable, and AT&T Broadband before it became Comcast.
I can remember when I was younger all of the premium services were trapped (even positive traps).
The first cable box I had was an SA8500. Yeah I saw the old switchboard style wood boxes but that was just a little bit before we had cable. The 8500 was merely a downconvertor with a 450 MHz tuner simple red led and small remote. There was another box that had a built in descrambler for call in PPV. This SA box had buttons on the top of it.

Later they added some more premium channels using scrambling (much easier than retrapping!) HBO2, Cinemax2 and Showtime were added. Prism was a premium channel under a trap on Ch 19 eventually became Starz. The SA8600 came out and had a simple channel name designation and a blue screen listing the upcoming pay per views when you first powered it on. It also had a volume control (unlike the previous ones) and it said "BEST STEREO" at one point on the bar.

We also had The Sega Channel for downloadable Sega Genesis video games.

Time Warner Cable started the upgrade to 750 MHz in 1998-99. AT&T Broadband finished it. Then it was "Advanced analog". 86 analog channels and SA8600X and 8610X converters with an on screen program guide.

It was announced in the paper when Digital cable was coming out. I believe this was in the summer of 2001. I went out that very first day with our 8610X analog boxes and picked up two DCT-2000's. They had a heck of a time at first. My bedroom box NEVER updated and received every channel until I moved to college a few months later.

Sometime after Comcast took over, you were no longer able to hear dispatch on the scanner radio. Now they use nextel's.

Share some of your local system's stories. It's been an interesting ride. I can remember it took them a LONG time to get 2-way working. They had return noise issues like crazy in our area.
SkyDancr
join:2003-01-23
Reading, PA

SkyDancr

Ahhh, The Sega Channel. My kids loved it & I was sorry to see it "retired". With the rapid advancement in gaming & cable TV technology since that time, I find it hard to believe there's nothing like it currently available in our area. Oh well, at least the cable system we have now provides more than channels 3,6,8,10 & a few VHF channels if you positioned the rabbit ears just right Thanks for the post, was nice to be reminded of a simpler time.
MOTO6809
join:2007-11-05
Springfield, MA

MOTO6809 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Here is some more history on the first Cable System.
»www.cablecenter.org/educ ··· nuscript

Ed Parsons

Born in Oregon, Parsons attended engineering trade schools and worked as the chief engineer for Bridal Veil Timber Company, Harris Machine Works of OR, and purchased radio station KAST in 1942. He also served as a communications engineer and assistant to the president of Wein Airlines, sales manager and field engineer for Northern Radio Company of Seattle. He was a commercial airlines pilot. In cooperation with the Scandinavian Air Force, Parsons built the Alaska communications system necessary for the first commercial trans-polar flight. He completed construction and initial programming of the first Eskimo-speaking broadcast station, KRBW. As a consulting communications engineer for Husky Oil Company, he was instrumental in Arctic telecommunications development and Husky's commercial network which facilitated oil exploration on the national petroleum reserve in Alaska. However, Mr. Parsons is probably best known for building the first system in the U.S. that used coaxial cable, amplifiers, and a community antenna to deliver television signals to an area that otherwise would not have been able to receive broadcast television signals. In 1948, Parsons owned a radio station in Astoria, Oregon. A year earlier he and his wife had first seen television at a broadcasters’ convention in Chicago. His wife wanted a set. In the spring of 1948, the first TV station in Seattle announced plans to go on the air, and Parsons worked with them to see how best to get the signal to Astoria. He found that with a large antenna he could receive the signal on the roof of the Astoria Hotel and from there he ran coaxial cable across the street to his apartment. When the station went on the air in November, 1948, Parsons was the only one in town able to see television. Soon others in town wanted the same service, and Parsons helped them hook up to the system. He charged them a fee for his work and materials but never instituted a monthly service charge. In May, 1968, Parsons was acknowledged as the father of community antenna television. A granite monument was erected at the base of the famed "Astoria Column" on Coxcomb Hill. The inscription reads: "Site of the first community antenna television installation in the United States completed February 1949 Astoria, Oregon. Cable television was invented and developed by L. E. (Ed) Parsons on Thanksgiving Day, 1948. The system carried the first TV transmission by KRSC-TV, Channel 5, Seattle. This marked the beginning of Cable TV."* Parsons was a member of the NCTA Pioneer Club. He was a member of the OX 5 Club and chairman of the President's Committee for Hiring the Handicapped. He authored a number of articles for trade journals and was profiled in The Last of the Bush Pilots, The Great Land and Alaska Today. * From CATV: A History of Community Antenna Television by Mary Alice Mayer Phillips, Northwestern University Press, 1972 and www.cablecenter.org