spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Army

@chevron.com

Poor Quality of Comcast Digital

I've recently moved to a San Francisco apartment (from the UK)and given the monopoly Comcast has going had no choice but to signup with them. I am currently on their digital starter package, only since installation I've been very disappointed with the quality of the 'digital' picture - it's basically fuzzy around the edges particularly noticeable when watching the fox soccer channel!

The comcast technician came round within 24 hours of calling (mighty impressive given I called on a Sunday)and said their was nothing wrong, the signal I was getting was very strong. He put it down to the fact that as I have a HDTV (but not HD signal) the quality of the digital signal will appear less than perfect.

This never seemed to be a problem in the UK where an over the air digital signal (not HD) showed a perfect picture on my HDTV.

Is there anything I can do (short of signing up for HD) to improve my picture?

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

I'll bite! Is your HDTV set to NTSC vs PAL? What digital box do you have? If you are connecting the cable directly to the HDTV without a cable box (or cable cards in the HDTV), you are receiving an analog signal, not digital.

OTOH, the UK might be broadcasting PAL high-definition digital at the equivalent of NTSC 480P?

mjw703

join:2005-02-24
Arlington, VA
reply to Army

There's probably two reasons the picture doesn't look as good as it did in the UK. For one thing PAL was always a better standard than NTSC, so over the air non-HD PAL video has more resolution than American over the air non-HD NTSC. Also digital video is very compressed. The bigger and better your screen, the more you are going to notice the imperfections of a digital signal, namely the fuzzy edges that you see, and general lack of sharpness.

Georgiaboy8

join:2005-06-25
Savannah, GA

said by mjw703:

There's probably two reasons the picture doesn't look as good as it did in the UK. For one thing PAL was always a better standard than NTSC, so over the air non-HD PAL video has more resolution than American over the air non-HD NTSC. Also digital video is very compressed. The bigger and better your screen, the more you are going to notice the imperfections of a digital signal, namely the fuzzy edges that you see, and general lack of sharpness.
You might also want to mention that it also varies by location. Different locations use different frequencies for certain channels or put different amounts of digital channels on one frequency (thus resulting in different levels of compression). The frequency of a channel will make a difference. I notice that on my system, 675MHz yields the best PQ.

Agent 86

@comcast.net
reply to Army

"Fuzzy" sounds like maybe you're using composite or RF to connect the cable box to your TV.

If your TV has a digital cable receiver, try using that. You won't get encrypted channels, though.

Army

@chevron.com
reply to Army

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it's the compression issue. I feel a switch to Dish/Direct coming on if I can ever get my landlord to agree.

Is the SD quality any better on satellite?

Georgiaboy8

Savannah, GA

said by Army :

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it's the compression issue. I feel a switch to Dish/Direct coming on if I can ever get my landlord to agree.

From what I hear, no, especially not on Directv. I've actually watched Directv and it is pretty bad.(some channels are exceptions, of course).

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to Army

Agreed. SD on DirecTV is much worse.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Army

I wouldn't say much worse. I just came from CC to DTV and the Comcast SD picture was starting to get soft and pixellated in high motion scenes. DirecTV's is maybe a hair worse, but still looks OK for Standard Def. This is on a 42" Phillips Plasma.

HD on Directv really shines, though especially with the new channels.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County

join:2005-12-26
Brick, NJ

I've seen Directv SD at local restaurants in my town and Toms River and I didn't think it looked bad. Certainly not any worse than what I'm getting from Comcast. I'm usually very picky in terms of picture quality, so I would've noticed if the picture quality was bad.

Georgiaboy8

Savannah, GA
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I wouldn't say much worse. I just came from CC to DTV and the Comcast SD picture was starting to get soft and pixellated in high motion scenes. DirecTV's is maybe a hair worse, but still looks OK for Standard Def. This is on a 42" Phillips Plasma.

HD on Directv really shines, though especially with the new channels.
Yeah, you have a point there. There is really no point in setting high standards for standard digital programming anymore.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Army

said by Army :

Your landlord doesn't have to agree. Federal law allows you to do it.

reelbigfish

join:2002-06-06
Boston, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

The landlord does have to agree if you are to mount it on his building. You are allowed to mount it to your balcony if you have one, or to put it on a balcony in a cement bucket. However, if you wish to drill into the landlord's wall or roof, you surely do need permission. In my building, someone mounted a satellite dish on a fire escape. The fire department made them take it down, because it was obstructing several people's exits with the way the dish was mounted and the cables were run. Before you decide to go dish, make sure you have a place you can legally put it. Your landlord cannot prevent you putting a dish somewhere it is legal, but can prevent you from putting just anywhere you want on his/her property.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Of course all of that goes without saying. The OP only talked about getting DTV if his Landlord allowed him to do so. He didn't say anything about mounting on common property or fire escapes.

reelbigfish

join:2002-06-06
Boston, MA

I would hope it would go without saying, but for the benefit of the OP from the UK, I though it would be relevant.

Army

@chevron.com
reply to Army

Thanks

Rang Comcast to 'cancel' and they offered me HD instead at no additional cost and a reduced rate for 12mths. Guess I'll try that for a while!