spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stoney420

@rr.com

changing road runner IP??

hi could someone help me out here, i am trying to download a trial again for this software cause my trial is up, what all would i have to do to be able to download it again and get another free trial? just change my IP address or is there other things? also could someone tell me how to change my IP for road runner internet? thx ahead of time for the replys, much appreciated!

armyvet

join:2006-10-24
Maceo, KY
you could try to delete all cookie's from that site including privacy sites under tools in explorer

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Stoney420
You could purchase it....thats normally what people do if they like it after a trial.

Hob
Expand your moderator at work

Stoney420

@rr.com
reply to armyvet

Re: changing road runner IP??

thx armyvet ill have to try that but i would still need to change the IP too wouldnt i?

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Unplug the cable modem for a short time then plug back it back in. Should pick up a new ip.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
said by dcurrey:

Unplug the cable modem for a short time then plug back it back in. Should pick up a new ip.
In most cases it will not.

What will is if you change the MAC address of the piece of equipment behind the modem.

Add a router
Change the MAC address of the Router
Use another computer
Change the ethernet card in the computer

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
Always have used the same equipment and after the cable modem losses power it always comes back with a different ip.

The modem is on a ups and only drops if we have a major outage that last longer than the ups can provide power. Could be everyone at once hitting the DHCP server at the same time causing the ip change never actually tried just unplugging it to change ips. I have had the same ip for I know a good 6 months.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Could be everyone at once hitting the DHCP server at the same time causing the ip change"

In a normal DHCP world your equipment WILL request the IP it had last.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
said by hobgoblin:

In a normal DHCP world your equipment WILL request the IP it had last.

Hob
Sorry that doesn't make sense to me. If the equipment loses power it has no idea what the last ip was.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Correct.

But the DHCP server might...
Expand your moderator at work

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to dbmaven

Re: changing road runner IP??

said by dbmaven:

Correct.

But the DHCP server might...
Ok I'll buy that! But still the only time my ip changes if the cable modem is reset.

Guess I should just go unplug my Cable modem for 5 to 10 minutes and see what happens.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
If you've got nothing better to do - knock yourself out !

Bottom line - it varies widely. Some people can leave the modem unplugged for 1/2 a day and still get the same IP.
Others unplug for 5 min and get a different IP.

There are too many variables - so hard and fast rules can't be stated with any degree of confidence. It boils down to "Your mileage may vary".

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2

2 edits
Even if you do manage to re download it.
Most likely it still won't work anyway since the install will still see it was once installed and expired before. So the "new" install will still show expired.

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dbmaven
Ok tried it. 5 minute mark ip stays. Wanted to do 10 but got distracted so I went for 1 hour 10 minutes. Ip remained the same still. So the OP might be out of luck or like you said mileage may vary.

Wonder what the difference an actual power outage makes? Node losing power should have any effect should it?

Given this info its almost the same as having Static ips.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"So the OP might be out of luck or like you said mileage may vary."

If the OP does what I said in my post he will be able to change the IP.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dcurrey
Premium
Last thing I have on this is wouldn't RR DHCP server use the MAC address of the modem and not anything behind it to set the IP address.

SkellBasher
Yes Sorto, I'll take my Prozac

join:2000-10-22
Niagara Falls, NY

1 edit
reply to Stoney420
A properly configured DHCP process conforming to RFC 2131 will always attempt to reissue the same IPs to requesting MAC addresses, unless there is some reason that it cannot. Those reasons would be:

1. A restart of the DHCP process that cleared all memory of IP/MAC mappings.
2. A high enough utilization that the process needed an IP that was previously assigned but not currently in use.

Contrary to how most people read the word 'dynamic', the process is not 'random'. A DHCP server will try to maintain the status quo as often as possible, unless it cannot.

You can reboot things until you're blue in the face, and unless there are other mitigating factors, nothing is going to change.

dcurry: Assuming TW follows a standard setup, there are two IP assignments in play: 1 for the modem, and another for the CPE equipment connected to the modem. They're independent.

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

Even if you do manage to re download it.
Most likely it still won't work anyway since the install will still see it was once installed and expired before. So the "new" install will still show expired.
A complete format and reinstall of windows should solve that problem.

armyvet

join:2006-10-24
Maceo, KY
reply to Stoney420
no problem, i've never changed my ip address

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Last thing I have on this is wouldn't RR DHCP server use the MAC address of the modem and not anything behind it to set the IP address.
It will use the Modem Mac to give the Modem an Ip
It will use the CPE Mac to give the CPE an IP

Thank You

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Ok tried it. 5 minute mark ip stays. Wanted to do 10 but got distracted so I went for 1 hour 10 minutes. Ip remained the same still. So the OP might be out of luck or like you said mileage may vary.
A host will request the same IP it had (assuming it has memory of it).

A DHCP server will remember the IP Address/MAC Address combinations it has assigned, and will (a) not assign an IP to a different host prior to the lease expiration, and (b) give that IP back to the same host when possible.

If a host is offline beyond the expiration of its DHCP lease, that IP may be assigned to someone else. If after expiration but the IP remains available, the original host may get it again, if it remembers/requests that IP.

Key point here is when the DHCP lease expires. If you unplug your modem for an hour or two just prior to expiration, you may get a new IP address next time, but no guarantees.

said by dcurrey:

Given this info its almost the same as having Static ips.
Except that the service provider reserves the right to assign you to another IP pool at any time.

minamelos

join:2002-04-09
Pasadena, CA
reply to Stoney420
What software is it? It may be available on the internet for free already