how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rtbond

@optonline.net

[iO] S-A 4250HD Copy Protection Message

Folks,

I am getting the following message displayed by the S-A Explorer 4250HD STB when I turn on my home theater system:

"Copy Protection
The YPrPb output is blocked
Press EXIT to Cancel"

I am using the HDMI output of the 4250HD and **NOT** the component (i.e., YPrPb)

The message does not occur when the 4250HD is connected directly to the TV HDMI (v1.3) input but rather only when the 4250HD HDMI output is connected to my Onkyo TX SR705 receiver HDMI input (which in turn connects to the TV [Samsung LN-T5265F]), hence it seems to be an HDMI-related issue between the 4250HD and the Onkyo TX SR705.

If I leave the 4250HD constantly powered, then the message appears when the TV and Onkyo receiver are powered-on, requiring me to hit EXIT on the 4250HD to clear the message. If I power off the 4250HD and power it back on AFTER the TV and Onkyo receiver combination are powered, the message still appears but clears on its own (not requiring me to press EXIT on the 4250HD remote). The message will, however, popup with every channel change, but this clears on its own.

Has anyone experienced this type of behavior with the 4250HD? Any ideas on solutions?

Thanks!

--Rob

UNSuser

@optonline.net

That means that the Home theater system is not HDCP compliant but your tv seems to be. The cable boxes use HDCP, a form of DRM encryption to protect the content. Everything must be HDCP complaint otherwise it won't work. If you want to have a system like this try using like this, 4250HD hdmi to tv then digital optical out from tv to home theater system. Hope this Helps

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to rtbond

I've seen that message on HD shows it means the handshake did not go well but as soon as I press exit the HDMI works :-/

rtbond

@optonline.net
reply to UNSuser

>That means that the Home theater system
>is not HDCP compliant but your tv seems to be.

I do not think that is the problem. The Onkyo receiver is a band new, HDMI v1.3 model. I am sure it is fully HDCP compliant.

Also the message makes no sense. Why output a message concerning the 4250HD's component video output (YPrPb output) when using the HDMI output?

--Rob

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to rtbond

I get messages like that . I had them with my 4200hd and my new 4250hd. I think that happens when the box doesnt do the handshake (as stated above) with whatevenr the hdmi cable is plugged into.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to rtbond

it happens because the box thinks that the hdmi connection is disconnected and switches back to YPrPb, then when the hdmi connection is re-established, it switches off YPrPb.(box/reciever turned off breaks the connection)
keep your reciever and box on and you wont see the message anymore.
--
S.C.P.D. Live Scanner Feed
N.C.P.D. Live Scanner Feed

JT60

@optonline.net
reply to rtbond

I get a similar message on my Explorer 8300HD STB. Someone suggested leaving it on all the time but I already do that. It appears to go away when I hit "Exit" as instructed, but there's no solution when I'm recording something with my DVR (either this one or TiVo). Does anyone have further suggestions?

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ
reply to rtbond

I spoke with Cablevision tech support regarding this issue. Apparently is it primarily happening with people the have HDMI A/V receivers. Tech support stated that it is a problem with the 4250HD and they are hoping for a fix from S-A. Tech support claimed that some people cannot get the message to clear, even after hit "Exit" on the 4250HD remote.

--Rob

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to rtbond

glad to know it was not just me.

slicknick198

join:2002-09-10
united state
reply to rtbond

I have also been getting the "Copy Protection" error screen occasionally with my SD 4250HD. For me, pressing Exit on the remote removes the error screen and everything is normal again. Good to hear that I wasn't the only one with this problem (though I had a feeling it was an issue with the 4250HD boxes), and that SD is working on a fix...

Andyg1
Will Work For Bandwidth

join:2001-12-23
New Rochelle, NY

I have that too, it started when I hooked up the HDMI cable on my 4250.