join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 edit

dcurrey

Premium Member

said by dbmaven:

Correct.

But the DHCP server might...
Ok I'll buy that! But still the only time my ip changes if the cable modem is reset.

Guess I should just go unplug my Cable modem for 5 to 10 minutes and see what happens.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven

Mod

If you've got nothing better to do - knock yourself out !

Bottom line - it varies widely. Some people can leave the modem unplugged for 1/2 a day and still get the same IP.
Others unplug for 5 min and get a different IP.

There are too many variables - so hard and fast rules can't be stated with any degree of confidence. It boils down to "Your mileage may vary".

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

2 edits

Dominokat

Premium Member

Even if you do manage to re download it.
Most likely it still won't work anyway since the install will still see it was once installed and expired before. So the "new" install will still show expired.

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey to dbmaven

Premium Member

to dbmaven
Ok tried it. 5 minute mark ip stays. Wanted to do 10 but got distracted so I went for 1 hour 10 minutes. Ip remained the same still. So the OP might be out of luck or like you said mileage may vary.

Wonder what the difference an actual power outage makes? Node losing power should have any effect should it?

Given this info its almost the same as having Static ips.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"So the OP might be out of luck or like you said mileage may vary."

If the OP does what I said in my post he will be able to change the IP.

Hob

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Last thing I have on this is wouldn't RR DHCP server use the MAC address of the modem and not anything behind it to set the IP address.
dcurrey

dcurrey to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

Even if you do manage to re download it.
Most likely it still won't work anyway since the install will still see it was once installed and expired before. So the "new" install will still show expired.
A complete format and reinstall of windows should solve that problem.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Last thing I have on this is wouldn't RR DHCP server use the MAC address of the modem and not anything behind it to set the IP address.
It will use the Modem Mac to give the Modem an Ip
It will use the CPE Mac to give the CPE an IP

Thank You

Hob

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to dcurrey

to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Ok tried it. 5 minute mark ip stays. Wanted to do 10 but got distracted so I went for 1 hour 10 minutes. Ip remained the same still. So the OP might be out of luck or like you said mileage may vary.
A host will request the same IP it had (assuming it has memory of it).

A DHCP server will remember the IP Address/MAC Address combinations it has assigned, and will (a) not assign an IP to a different host prior to the lease expiration, and (b) give that IP back to the same host when possible.

If a host is offline beyond the expiration of its DHCP lease, that IP may be assigned to someone else. If after expiration but the IP remains available, the original host may get it again, if it remembers/requests that IP.

Key point here is when the DHCP lease expires. If you unplug your modem for an hour or two just prior to expiration, you may get a new IP address next time, but no guarantees.
said by dcurrey:

Given this info its almost the same as having Static ips.
Except that the service provider reserves the right to assign you to another IP pool at any time.