how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

genewitch

join:2007-09-12
Klamath Falls, OR

Cable/customer service nightmare

i decided to stop counting at 120 minutes logged on the phone with suddenlink's tech support; so please understand that i've tried to get this resolved.

I live in leesville, Louisiana, suddenlink communications is my ISP. I pay roughly $43 per month for 3000/whatever they want to give me upstream.

However, almost without fail, every day between the hours of 5PM and midnight local time i have every type of connection issue possible: High latency, low speeds, ping timeouts, not getting an ip address, DNS resolution errors, so on and so forth. I've had this service since august 29th, and have been having problems since day one. Here's the run down that I've been privy to from their tech support and on-site technicians.

first call, they send two guys whom I've dubbed Mario and Luigi. they come in my house, spend less than 2 minutes at my computer, say "we need to call someone out to balance the LE, should be fixed today" That is a direct quote from these service professionals. this was back in mid-September.

Second service call: Oh the line to your house from the pole is broken. Replaced it. "you're getting 29dbmv, you should be getting 40dbmv, I'm gonna go balance the LE at the node and see what happens" 25 minutes later, same tech comes back (i believe his name is james) saying "the node is already padded to 13, it can't be padded anymore, i am gonna call them to come out and check the line for leaks and pad the line" once again, direct quote from the service professional. this was 2 weeks ago. (you'll note suddenlink was reluctant to send a service technician out for a month and a half)

Third service call: no response/no show (problem still not fixed). I called and asked for a reschedule. James calls me the next morning saying that, "they didn't have a chance to get out there yesterday and fix the line, they're going out today. Call us back tomorrow if there's still an issue tonight"

Fourth service call: no show

Fifth service call: no show (was told that a tech would be at my house by MIDNIGHT to check into the late night issues, as suddenlink only operates field techs from 8 to 5 during the day)

At this juncture i am PISSED. i call a team lead at suddenlink every night at this point because of crappy service. I have to explain this to every person that i talk to. I was finally assured that the problem was NOT on my end of the deal (IE not CUSTOMER'S EQUIPMENT), and that i should hear from a supervisor of the field team the next day.

Sixth service call: Supervisor contacts me by phone, saying that he's working on the issue.

Seventh service call: 2 gentlemen arrive at my house saying that the line was fixed. they immediately run a speed test, see everything is running "as it should be". I point out that my latency is abysmal, they say that it isn't on their end (AKA DEAL WITH IT BUCKAROO!)

A note on my latency issues: During the day (as in like right now: avg 28 ms, 2% loss (although this might include the downtime from this morning)) Generally sits about at 23-30ms avg ping UNTIL AFTER 5PM. then my average pings were up to 600ms. After the first round of "we're padding the lines" the latency has come down to ~150ms average. I think last nights was 90ms. that's still a threefold suck factor over what i get during the day.

what am i on, eighth service call: sent james back out to the house. he walks in, says they put a trace on my line for the past two days and that everything has been fine, and that world of warcraft was causing my internet connectivity problems, and furthermore, that suddenlink does not support gaming on their connections. here's the funny part... we weren't on WOW last night. cause the latency was ABYSMAL. 5 AM this morning the entire connection went down, no warning, no reason. I woke up and talked to one of the rudest tech support agents I've ever spoken to at suddenlink (and there have been enough to start ranking them in tiers of rudeness), her name was Theresa. I recommend not talking to her, if she ever picks up your call.

Now since there were dns errors this weekend i was using verizon's DNS servers for a majority of it (and still am, i believe); but that's just icing on the cake, really.

So here's this typed out, just the service calls that resulted in someone coming to my house. this doesn't include the dozens of phone calls i made to find out why my service was still broken during the past 3 weeks after they assured me it was fixed, the calls i made to find out why a tech never contacted me, the calls i placed to say 'nope, not fixed yet'

To anyone who is going to ask:
My home network is MODEM -> USB cable to LAPTOP COMPUTER; Laptop via 100mb to a 100mb switch, switch to 4 other machines. Laptop has the same connection problems as the rest of the network. I've used a belkin router, and a linksys router at various times the past 2 months attempting to see any change. i even updated the firmware in the router (which surprisingly enough didn't cause more issues as i had read and feared from reading about on the internet). I *WOULD* try using IPCOP, but suddenlink very specifically restricts you (meaning it's a no no) from using SQUID and DNS servers on your home network. no explanation as to why, just "can't do it, we can terminates your accounts lol"

so i guess IPCop is out. :-(

all main machines are running peer guardian, Avast! AV, windows firewall (on the laptop), and are completely 100% up to date with windows update. All cables check out (as in they show proper links, and ping times to all machines in the network are 100% 1ms 100% of the time)

I've been using broadband since 1998/1999, and I'm a network technician and engineer, and i know when the problem is on my end. The problem is not on my end. i'll repeat that. THE PROBLEM IS NOT ON MY END.

»/testhistory/1486194/0d7f8
that's my test history from just this site. Suddenlink wants you to use speedtest.net; however speeds there are generally worse than BBR's test servers. I said generally, so it has some variation. I had around 35 tests on speedtest.net, and of those, only 4 were even close to the speeds i was paying for, and all of them were over 80ms ping to a test server in east Texas. I was getting better pings to Los Angeles, honestly.

that about wraps it up for now. i typed this here, and i am going to email it to a supervisor over at suddenlink today.

thanks for your time!

--genewitch

Synon29

join:2003-09-13
Cabot, AR
hi gene. I'm a suddenlink employee. We had similar issues here in clovis recently. The problem got resolved a few nights ago. Let me know how this turns out for you.

genewitch

Klamath Falls, OR
said by Synon29:

hi gene. I'm a suddenlink employee. We had similar issues here in clovis recently. The problem got resolved a few nights ago. Let me know how this turns out for you.
uh, nope, latency is still crap. at least my downloads have been decent tonight, and i haven't been getting booted from AIM and Vent every five minutes (which is more irritating than anything else on broadband)

WoWJunkie

join:2002-11-13
Beckley, WV
My latency in WOW runs around 300ms gene when it is working. Suddenlink can say they don't support gaming on their connections but what they really mean is you are going to get high latency so deal with it. You can give me a 50mb dl and a 300ms ping and it still sucks to play games like WOW.

WTF does someone need a bigger pipe for anyway? I have been against the throttling of peoples connections but I am slowly starting to think that if people had more reasonable dl/ul plans that the latency wouldn't be so bad. Maybe it's just time to goto DSL. IDK. Good luck getting resolution with your problem. I can feel for you because my connection has been terrible for 5 months now. Oh, and btw...Theresa probably works at the third-party call center they contract out of Canada. GL getting help from that bunch.

Also, what server you playing on atm?

genewitch

Klamath Falls, OR
Silverhand, mostly. it's in southern california. i would deal with 768/256 speeds if it meant my ping was guaranteed to be under 30ms on an idle pipe. i don't even understand latency issues like that... you're saying it's the shrevport router?

LubbockBlues

@suddenlink.net
said by genewitch:

Silverhand, mostly. it's in southern california. i would deal with 768/256 speeds if it meant my ping was guaranteed to be under 30ms on an idle pipe. i don't even understand latency issues like that... you're saying it's the shrevport router?
As I see it gene you have 2 options really

1. Get rid of this horrible ISP(SuddenStink) and get DSL if you have that option.

or

2. Try playing on Illidian since its located in Dallas from what I understand.. I know how moving from another server can suck when you have lots of friends on your current one.. But since your ISP is so crappy, finding a server that would ping the best to you would be the way to go. Also Illidian is a pretty good server since it is top five in population and has a steady flow of people making new toons.

I would recommend option 1 though, Suddenlink doesn't have the worst rating of any ISP on this site for nothing you know.

genewitch

Klamath Falls, OR
i don't wanna pay a phone company. i hate phone companies. if anything i'll go with centurion or century wireless or whatever. i bet the latency is better overall

Yournotme

join:2006-08-14
Clovis, NM
reply to genewitch
At least most of you have other providers you can goto. All we have here is plateau's wireless which is limited to 256k/256k and is $70 a month and it still sucks. I used Qwest DSL here and its not any better 1.5mb/512kb it is cheaper. They started offering 7mb connection in some parts of the town but not for me. If I was a business I could get fiber ran but thats way to expensive for me. My latency when my connection is working is still in the high 60ms even at 2 or 3 am.

genewitch

Klamath Falls, OR
said by Yournotme:

My latency when my connection is working is still in the high 60ms even at 2 or 3 am.
60ms would be awesome, where do i have to move?

Yournotme

Clovis, NM
Thats to my node not anywhere else. Right now my 8mb connection is acting like a 512kb connection.

LubbockBlues

@suddenlink.net
reply to Yournotme
said by Yournotme:

At least most of you have other providers you can goto.
All I have is Suddencrap and some wireless provider that im sure would be just as bad. Then agian maybe not since SuddenStink is worse then dial up right now...

Synon29

Cabot, AR
what are your speeds like there in lubbock?

Yournotme

Clovis, NM
reply to genewitch
Lubbock offers the same packages we get here in clovis. Same with Amarillo.

SuddenNightmare

@cebridge.net
reply to genewitch
said by genewitch:

said by Yournotme:

My latency when my connection is working is still in the high 60ms even at 2 or 3 am.
60ms would be awesome, where do i have to move?
My latency is in the 300ms range. I am in Foresthill California. Anyone from Foresthill? The reason I am asking is that I was told recently about Wireless provider here in the area. The downside is that it is greatly affected by weather. Here is my latest test:

Synon29

Cabot, AR

1 edit
reply to Synon29
yeah i know they offer the same speeds, but he seems to be really unhappy with his service. I was curious what kind of speeds he was actually seeing.

Yournotme

Clovis, NM
reply to SuddenNightmare
I have used wireless Internet along with satelite internet. The wireless I used did better in rain and snow then it did any other time. It was also good during cloud cover. However satelite internet was good really fast but you couldn't play computer games due to the latency.

Synon29

Cabot, AR
i used wireless internet when i lived in utah. It was pretty bad they claimed you got 3/500 but you would basically burst 3 meg for about 1 or 2 minutes then they would slow you down to 500k speeds if you picked a lower tier they would slow you to 256k and then 56k lol that was 50 something dollars a month!

ant

@cebridge.net
reply to genewitch
hey Gene..i too live in Leesville and have sudden link..everytime i call they keep on resetting the modem..saying something that it keeps gettin released to a much slower speed again...for a couple days it runs good..and then boom....it sucks...i don't know..i'm thinking maybe going back to AT@T for their 6.0 DSL...but, yeah i too hate phone companies...being that i used to be an AT@T agent..but at least i can say this, that their internet runs GREAT!!!...i never had any problems with their internet..actually i've never had any problems with any ISP except for SuddenLink....hopefully they can get Leesville up and going fast...
ant

genewitch

Klamath Falls, OR
reply to genewitch
Hey guys! my roommate called the BBB, and suddenlink has finally acknowledged that there's a problem in Leesville. I told them about the busted ass router in tyler, TX (i'd imagine this is the QOS Server for the suddenlink backbone network), and now for the past three days our pings sit at 35, then spike to 900 if we do anything streaming. That means VOIP (so i can't call and bitch), streaming audio on the internet, etc. trying to download anything causes latency issues as well. i haven't been able to test speeds recently, but last test was 116/490. Strange and weird.

My dbvs are still WRONG, but suddenlink techs insist they are fine.

And i found out today that i can't switch to AT&T dsl. FSCK!

LubbockBlues

@suddenlink.net
said by genewitch:

And i found out today that i can't switch to AT&T dsl. FSCK!
Thats the hardest pill to swallow for me. I mean we all have had to deal with some type of crappy or horrible service in our lifetime but usually there is a viable alternative. But were I live pretty much all there is is Suddenlink for me which sucks...

The day Verizon or AT&T cover my area it will be all over for Cox, I mean Cebridge, erm I mean Suddenlink.