spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drfish

@charter.com

[CATV] Charter Internet with catv free no more!

I have had my Charter internet (no tv) for over 6 years. When the tech installed my modem he said "I am not supposed to tell you this but all you have to do is attach a cable to your tv and you will get about 70 cable channels for free".

So for all this time up until yesterday I had been enjoying all those channels and only paying for the internet.

Now I am only getting about 6 channels:
78 AMC
77 Spike
76 (dont remember)
75 CourtTv
74 National Geographic
73 History
72 A&E

All the other channels have no signal. AMC and Spike have a crystal clear picture but the others fade as the channels drop all the way down to A&E which is barely visible.

What I would like to know is did Charter wise up to us freeloaders or will the other channels come back? My next door neighbor was getting the free channels also but he also lost them.

By the way I am in Riverside, CA.

Expand your moderator at work

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
reply to drfish

Re: [CATV] Charter Internet with catv free no more!

there are ways for you to get those channels back but im not goona tell you

best option for you is to order the cable package

vermonster

@charter.com
reply to drfish

Wow, way to be helpful, y'all.

The cable tech probably didn't put a trap on your line, so you received basic + expanded basic for free.

I'm guessing an audit revealed there was no trap to block out those channels, so they put a trap up and now you can only receive what the filter doesn't filter out.

Unfortunately, you can only remove the filter (a longish metal thing either at the utility pole or at the splitter that feeds your apartment) [illegal], or pay for the cable service.

It's probably not coming back.

-a

drfish

@charter.com

Thanks vermonster

matt314159
Premium
join:2006-01-18
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter

other thing you can do is call and ask if they'll let you order basic cable on top of your internet package for $10 a month. They offered that to me when I cancelled my TV services with charter and went to modem only. Then when the installer comes out, be very nice to him sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll take the trap off completely again instead of putting the other kind of filter on there.

at the VERY least you'll get the basic (23 or so channels) for cheap. But you might get lucky and end up getting Exp basic, for the basic price.

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
reply to drfish

I wouldn't recommend messing with the trap yourself. if they found it in an audit, they will be back to check it again. if the trap is gone in a second audit. the police will be called.

hfh

@charter.com

order phone service they have to remove trap.

matt314159
Premium
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter

Re: [CATV] Charter Internet with catv free no more!

To whom exactly would you send this thread? Kirti Hamaszch the Bangalorian/Filipino call center employee?

In my mind, here's where the line is for me: If a technician takes off the trap, gives you a wink, and says enjoy your tv, do what he says and enjoy your tv.

if they come by on an audit and put the right kind of trap on your line, sorry but you're pretty much SOL unless you can get lucky enough by ordering basic cable or something, to have another technician come and do the same thing. But if you're thinking about trying to go out and tamper with charter's equipment to remove the trap yourself, then you're way out of line.

It doesn't cost Charter any more to not have a trap on the line than to have the trap on the line, so i say lay off with the flaming/trolling, BF69.

And I also call BS on Sittin_tech about the police getting called. I can think of lots of legit reasons why the trap might be off a second time. And unless they have proof that you were the one that tampered with Charter's equipment, what are they going to charge you with?

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2

said by matt314159:

And I also call BS on Sittin_tech about the police getting called. I can think of lots of legit reasons why the trap might be off a second time. And unless they have proof that you were the one that tampered with Charter's equipment, what are they going to charge you with?
Theft of service.

The only other reason why the trap would be off a subsequent time would be a legitimate service upgrade. Now, a second occurance might not get the authorities involved, but you can bet that address will be audited much more frequently, raising the likelihood that the authorities will be involved.

drfish

@charter.com
reply to Anon

How was I stealing cable?

The tech told me I would get all the tv stations with no more effort on my part than attaching the cable from the wall to my tv. I certainly didn't tamper with anything.

drfish

@charter.com
reply to matt314159

The lock on the cable box at the street has been broken for some time (I informed Charter of this but they never fixed it).

I took off the cover and I do see a longish metal piece in between the line and the connector it is also very polished which makes me think it hasn't been there for very long.

This must be the trap vermonster mentioned.

Doc Casualty

join:2005-02-06
Harbor Springs, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to drfish

said by drfish :

How was I stealing cable?

The tech told me I would get all the tv stations with no more effort on my part than attaching the cable from the wall to my tv. I certainly didn't tamper with anything.
While I tend to agree with your logic here, apparently the cable cos. and courts tend to call this "passive theft". I have no idea how often or when they prosecute this, but it is an option they have.

matt314159
Premium
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to defiant

said by defiant:

Theft of service.

The only other reason why the trap would be off a subsequent time would be a legitimate service upgrade. Now, a second occurance might not get the authorities involved, but you can bet that address will be audited much more frequently, raising the likelihood that the authorities will be involved.
Sure, I can buy the fact that they'll audit more if they find it off a second time. And if they see that it's being removed repeatedly, then I can see them pursuing legal action. But the SECOND time, like sittin_tech implied? There's a lot for them to prove there IMHO. First, they'd have to prove that you willfully had the trap removed again, and second, who's to say you actually had the other end of the coax hooked to a TV and watched these stolen channels? What if it was removed a 2nd time and the subscriber had no idea?

I'm not just trying to be contrary here, but to me it seems like a cableco scare-tactic and nothing more. Most of the time a missing filter is going to be the result of charter's negligence. With the idiots they've got working for them, I'd say even if it turns up missing a 2nd time around, it's probably still charter's fault.

drfish

@charter.com

I have to agree with you Matt. If Charter had any sense they would replace these cable box covers that have been damaged. Some of them have been this way for years even after having been reported as broken.

Anybody could walk up to them, lift the cover off, and remove everything inside. If Charter was really interested in stopping theft of tv they would go to the trouble of making sure these were locked. That way they would be able to tell if they had been tampered with just by looking at the cover.

sittin_tech

Rochester, MN

hey you do what you want to do, I'll be laughing my a$$ off if you get a big fine. if I were you, I'd be happy that that I had free cable for a year, but I wouldn't push my luck

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA

Let's call this what it is... *cable theft*. He knows he was getting something he was not paying for, no matter how it happened. And for every customer who is doing this, the rest of us pay for... in higher prices.

I can't imagine what it takes to come in here, trying to find out how he can do it again, rather than pay for what he wants.

drfish

@charter.com
reply to sittin_tech

There is no way I am going to touch anything in that cable box to try to get back what I had.

Let's just say that it was nice while it lasted which by the way wasn't for just one year but for over 6.

andunn

join:2001-09-06
Linn Creek, MO

I was getting free cable for a couple of years when I was living in my apartment. I had an account with Charter for HSI only and notified them 3 different times and no one ever came out to fix it. As far as I am concerned I did my job by calling them twice and going into the local office once and telling them. So I enjoyed my free cable for my local channels. Saved me 5 bucks a month since I didn't have local channels with my dish. Thanks Charter

However, now that I am living in a house the free cable is gone even though I only have HSI. Like you said you got to enjoy it for a long time!

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA

said by andunn:

I was getting free cable for a couple of years when I was living in my apartment. I notified them 3 different times and no one ever came out to fix it.
That's completely understandable, you did your part. Besides, your apartment complex may have paid for basic cable for everyone. They often do.

andunn

Linn Creek, MO

Actually they did not pay for it. Charter response was we will send someone out right away. I'm not sure if they came because I was usually at work. The only time I ever watched cable was when it was pouring rain because our dish would go out or of there was something locally that I wanted to watch.

moon1234

@tds.net
reply to drfish

Actually they have to provide you with your local channels for FREE if you have ANY cable service. This applies to HSI as well. If you have HSI and are not able to get your local channels for free (in whatever is the cheapest mode, analog, clear QAM, etc.) then you have a right to file a grievance with your local cable regulatory authority.

That is why most cable co's have the basic package unencrytped and loaded with shopping channels. They throw in maybe WGN or some other low cost channels. You locals are ALWAYS in the basic channel.

Many cable co's also leave the HD versions of the local channels unencrypted for the same reason. After 2009 they will still need to provide the locals for free. They may no longer do that in analog, but rather in clear QAM, which is actually better in my opinion.

The clear HD locals in Charter land is on reason I stay with them. The price of the rest of the package without the clear local HDs and clear VOD is less appealing.

sittin_tech

Rochester, MN

I'd really like to know where you get you information. I've never heard of this. Yes we send local HD's unencrypted, but as far as analog locals, we've always trapped them out as long as I've worked for charter. Actually in my system we went from a 5-74 trap to a 3-74 trap just to block out just a couple more of those lower analog channels.

andunn

Linn Creek, MO

Yeah, that's the first I heard of this as well

matt314159
Premium
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to drfish

I think it's kind of an urban myth, I've heard people say stuff like that before. I think the source comes from that fact, that isn't there an FCC mandate that cable companies have to offer a local "lifeline" basic tier of service that includes the OTA basic channels? I think they have to offer it, but surely not for free.

retrogame

join:2003-04-14
Auburn, MA

1 edit
reply to moon1234

said by moon1234 :

Actually they have to provide you with your local channels for FREE if you have ANY cable service.
No, no they don't, but they can require you to have basic service to order expanded service or digital service. As far as complaining to the local franchising authority, they have no control over programming, packages, rates or services offered. They only have control over PEG channels, local buildout requirements and negotiating services offered to the town government for local buildings and schools.

BBT IV
Premium
join:2006-03-22
Central Point, OR
reply to moon1234

said by moon1234 :

Actually they have to provide you with your local channels for FREE if you have ANY cable service. This applies to HSI as well.
Prove it, post something that substantiates this.