share rss forum feed view:
normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to KeysCapt

Re: Just get your ticket? Let us know here!

I actually got my ticket (technician class) about a year and a half ago, but only got my HT two days ago, after using EchoLink for a bit. Also, having been a member here for 10 years, I had no idea that this site had a ham forum until I found it through Google while searching for some info.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Good things sometime just take some time. Glad to have you on-board.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
kudos:1
reply to KeysCapt

I am newly licensed as of this evening. Passed my technician exam. I'll post my callsign whenever it shows up.

For a radio, I got a BaoFeng UV-5R a couple of months ago.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Excellent, welcome to the ranks.

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to rjackson

said by rjackson:

I am newly licensed as of this evening. Passed my technician exam. I'll post my callsign whenever it shows up.

For a radio, I got a BaoFeng UV-5R a couple of months ago.

Nice, I got that radio as well and have been very happy with it, especially for $40.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
kudos:1

4 recommendations

Click for full size
And here I am

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

Congrats and welcome to 4 land...

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA

6 recommendations

reply to KeysCapt

I finally went out to get my ticket.

KK6HVK =)

kc3dns

join:2014-10-08
Reviews:
·callwithus
·Anveo

1 recommendation

reply to KeysCapt

Licensed in September 2014 after completing tech + general test elements on a rainy Saturday morning.

I started looking around for online communities and even though the ham radio forum of DSLR seems a little sleepy, it also seems to be the most sane.

Other forums have the stereotypical old codgers complaining about how kids these days "don't get it" when it comes to the fine art of amateur radio.

I am not ashamed to say I bought a Chinese HT and some cheap and free software apps and have been able to do some interesting digital communications and repeater nets on VHF. My goal is to have as much fun as possible in this hobby for as little money as possible. Once in a while I will splurge on antenna materials and radio gear, but I'm not looking to outfit a super "shack."

Looking forward to the conversation here.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Welcome to amateur radio and welcome to dslreports!

I have noticed that all it takes to wake up the ham forum is posting a question. Therefore regardless whether you are stuck with something or just curious about something else, go ahead and ask (says the newbie with the amateur extra license)
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

kc3dns

join:2014-10-08

Thanks leibold. I'm also a long-time lurker on the VoIP Tech Chat forum here so I know the general quality of the discussion around here is pretty high. Usually.