uniqs

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

Splitpair to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ

Re: Just get your ticket? Let us know here!

said by GeekNJ:

Congrats! Get on 20m and make a bunch of contacts during the CQ WW SSB contest going on this weekend.
It's a slow process first I need to get my hands on a little spending money and then on to find some HF gear.

Wayne

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

My first HF unit was a loaner from a friend. He also provided me a G5RV wire antenna that he had, a power supply and an antenna tuner. Might be worthwhile asking if anyone has one they aren't using.

WiseOldBear
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Litchfield Park, AZ

WiseOldBear to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
Old nerd is now new ham: KF7CUM

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

Napsterbater to KeysCapt

MVM

to KeysCapt
Was Just issued KJ4NBB now I just need a mobile or base radio, Have an HT but it is VHF only and the repeaters in this area kinda suck :-/.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

1 edit

SmokChsr to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt

Tech light for 17 years..

Some 17 years ago I sat down (twice) and took the test to get a no-code tech. The first test kicked me in the rear, simple little phrases like "Broadcast" Where I come from (commercial radio) to broadcast is a good thing, apparently not in the HAM world. So I had to study a bit to get up on terminology of the HAM world and I finally scraped by. (actually got though written to Advanced at that time).
So finally after 17 years as a tech, I decided to upgrade (now that I don't have to repeatedly prove that my code speed is still 0 WPM). After glancing at some of the study material in January I took the test again a couple weeks ago and upgraded to general, but fell short by 2 questions of extra. Today another testing was offered and yes.. I'm now officially at the Extra level, Extra what I'm not sure, but I'm Extra... ( so now you get to "read all about it")
Of course now I still need to figure out where I can go with my "new privileges" of either General or Extra. I have an HF radio (Yaseu 747) that I bought years ago to use as a generator for commercial work. I know it's not the best, but it'll give me something to play with for a while. I guess I might want to find the mic for it, I only ever used the MOX button.

The SAARS club »www.saarsham.net/ offered the testing during their field day activities this morning. I did stick around a bit and check a few antennas they were putting up with my Power AIM-120 "antenna analyzer" so it was a fun day.
johnsteele0
join:2009-07-21
Miami, FL

johnsteele0 to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt

Passed General 07/13/09 and received KJ4NSE effective today.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr

Premium Member

Congrats!! humm.. (Kicked John 4 Not Sharing Ellen) Oh wait your John.. oops..

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

1 edit

GeekNJ to johnsteele0

Premium Member

to johnsteele0
Congrats!!! NSE - Now Studying for Extra

Enjoy all the new privileges you earned.
johnsteele0
join:2009-07-21
Miami, FL

johnsteele0

Actually I am studying for Extra now. I started 7/1 and ace'd Tech/General 7/11 but decided against going to Extra at the same time, just too much material in two weeks
MazakGuy7
join:2004-03-05
Hillsdale, MI

MazakGuy7 to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt
Went in on 8/28/2009, and took all 3 tests. Ticket issued on 9/1/2009, way faster then I thought. Missed the Extra by 4 questions. Guess that was not too bad for about 2 hours of study, lol. I thought the tests were easy, except for the Extra. Will pass that one at the end of the month!

Hope too work you all on the air.

Jeff
KD8LYP
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

noebl1

Well after a year of putting it off... I finally took the Extra today and passed, only got 2 questions wrong I got one of the books last year but had a tough time convincing myself to buckle down and go thru it. My buddy this week mentioned he wanted to go for his Tech so figured it would motivate me to finish what I started. Glad that's done, but have this odd feeling of "Now what?" My buddy passed too, just barely, but he made it to get his Tech.

-Mike
KB1MTS

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt

Newb

I just received my ticket 12/22/009.

My call is KC9RDF. I finally got my ticket after be ing hounded about ti by my father-in-law for near 20 years. Right now I'm using Echolink, but my f-i-l gave me his old Clegg system for Christmas. It's good enough for simplex 2 meter. I just added this forum to my favorites.
W6Taurus
join:2003-01-29
Griggsville, IL

W6Taurus to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt

Just got my call sign issued. It's KC9RFO, finally realizing a long time goal. Tried years ago to get my ticket but the code threw me for a loop. That was my one stumbling block. Have always had an interest in radio since i was a kid.

Have been studying for the General class test and hope to take it in a few months.

73's
KC9RFO

Wayne

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Congratulations Wayne, enjoy the hobby.

lolwut96
join:2009-04-28

lolwut96 to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt
A while back I mentioned that I was interested in getting started in Ham radio after being a "scanner" for such a long time »Getting Started.

Well, after getting some time to study this past month and following in the wake of chandom See Profile, I took all elements this morning and passed each one with flying colors all in about a hour!

As a new Ham and Extra, I encourage anyone who is even remotely interested in Ham radio to get your ticket!

I'll update with my call sign once I'm ULS listed.

73, Mark

P.S. K3SGM See Profile, I hope to hear you on the air when I'm back in the West Chester area.

KeysCapt

join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

Good job!

lolwut96
join:2009-04-28

lolwut96

Woke up this morning and was greeted with AC8FP!

Now if anyone has suggestions for HF operation in a college dorm room, it would be most appreciated.

AC8FP

Mark

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Just got qualified for my Basic+ in Canada on Saturday... will post callsign as it comes available!

EQ

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Malta

n1zuk to lolwut96

Premium Member

to lolwut96
said by lolwut96:

Now if anyone has suggestions for HF operation in a college dorm room, it would be most appreciated.
QRP CW or PSK31 using a magnetic loop antenna. A ham in the UK, G4ILO, has an interesting write up on his web site about a portable magnetic loop he built.

I am currently designing one based on his idea, using a 3.3' diameter loop made out of 3/8" copper refrigeration tubing. Hopefully a serviceable and low RFI indoor antenna for 15/17/20 Meters.

»www.g4ilo.com/wonder-loop.html

Congrats on the "Nothing to Extra" jump (and I thought my no-code Technician to slow code Extra was good!). The thing that makes ham radio fun is making what is not supposed to work, work. Have fun!
madragoninja
join:2009-09-06
Louisville, KY

madragoninja to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt
April 12 2010 found my name and newly licensed call sign!

KJ4UCD

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

aSic to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
Oh duh. I forgot when I did it to post up. I remember asking about "online exams" last August....

I passed my General back in October 09. Hehe. Took all of my concentration to remember when the next local session was going to be. I went in, took General, finished in record time (only missed two!), and tried Extra, but failed. Doesnt surprise me as I never studied for it. Figured, its free, why not?

I forgot to post up to this thread my accomplishment.

I decided to keep my callsign. Still KE4SOX.

Cheers!

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

1 recommendation

alphapointe to KeysCapt

MVM

to KeysCapt
W0VHA/AG

Passed my General about an hour ago.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt

Premium Member

Congrats.

DC Broadband
Stercus Tauri
Premium Member
join:2003-04-17
Stone Ridge, NY

DC Broadband to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
Passed my Technician exam with flying colors this morning. I was actually studying for it a couple of years ago but then I got married and moved and changed jobs, etc., so it got put on the back burner.

Finally got around to it this morning though. There were about 10 people in the test session. Maybe half were new licenses and half were upgrades. I also took the General exam but failed it, which is not surprising since I didn't study for it! Out of all the newbs I was the only one to try it though. Hopefully my call sign will show in the database soon!

Cheers!

Doug

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

1 edit

Robotics

Premium Member

Congrats! you all, and welcome to a great hobby.
toker815
join:2009-02-16

1 edit

toker815 to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt
KC9SQR ---- Assigned today

Flew through the Techie test with flying colors just last Saturday. The examiner said I would be listed as early as Tuesday, but low and behold I checked today just for kicks and there was my shiny new callsign.

Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, or was that the radio?? J/K

KC9SQR
TODDRICK
join:2001-08-27
Milwaukee, WI

TODDRICK

congratulations and welcome to the tribe. I felt warm and fuzzy after each exam I took (could have been the beard but probably was stray rf). While you are on a roll start on the General study material. Contact with others will most likely generate a desire to get on hf.

Seeing as field day is almost upon us check out where your local clubs are setting up their operation and visit several if possible. Be sure to operate the GOTA (get on the air) station if they run one.

Todd N9DRY

DC Broadband
Stercus Tauri
Premium Member
join:2003-04-17
Stone Ridge, NY

DC Broadband to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
Finally showed up in the database!

KC2YVJ

73's
toker815
join:2009-02-16

toker815

said by DC Broadband:

Finally showed up in the database!

KC2YVJ

73's
Congrats! I've had mine just under a week and I'm loving it so far... Even got in contact with a few old friends on the air.. You never know who you'll run into out there on the air waves...

Also try not to worry too much if you make a mistake or two.. The other operators are usually more then willing to point them out, and help you learn.. After all the "new guy" is usually expected to make a mistake or two...

Have fun with your new call sign..

KC9SQR

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 edit

DrStrange to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
Passed elements 2, 3, and 4 tonight. I'll update when my callsign shows up in the database.

There were 3 of us. Two left after passing the tech test and left me to pass general and extra on my own.

I got a nice round of applause from the folks at the meeting of the local repeater association [exams are held an hour before the monthly meetings] for going from no ticket to extra in a bit under an hour.

EDIT:
Just showed up in the database this evening: AB1NH