aSic
application specific
Premium
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to KeysCapt

Re: Just get your ticket? Let us know here!

Oh duh. I forgot when I did it to post up. I remember asking about "online exams" last August....

I passed my General back in October 09. Hehe. Took all of my concentration to remember when the next local session was going to be. I went in, took General, finished in record time (only missed two!), and tried Extra, but failed. Doesnt surprise me as I never studied for it. Figured, its free, why not?

I forgot to post up to this thread my accomplishment.

I decided to keep my callsign. Still KE4SOX.

Cheers!
--
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to KeysCapt
W0VHA/AG

Passed my General about an hour ago.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN
kudos:1
Congrats.

DC Broadband
Stercus Tauri
Premium
join:2003-04-17
Stone Ridge, NY
reply to KeysCapt
Passed my Technician exam with flying colors this morning. I was actually studying for it a couple of years ago but then I got married and moved and changed jobs, etc., so it got put on the back burner.

Finally got around to it this morning though. There were about 10 people in the test session. Maybe half were new licenses and half were upgrades. I also took the General exam but failed it, which is not surprising since I didn't study for it! Out of all the newbs I was the only one to try it though. Hopefully my call sign will show in the database soon!

Cheers!

Doug
--
Help find a cure. Join Team
Helix
& Team Discovery!!
Support The Officer Down Memorial Page!

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

1 edit
Congrats! you all, and welcome to a great hobby.

toker815

join:2009-02-16

1 edit
reply to KeysCapt
KC9SQR ---- Assigned today

Flew through the Techie test with flying colors just last Saturday. The examiner said I would be listed as early as Tuesday, but low and behold I checked today just for kicks and there was my shiny new callsign.

Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, or was that the radio?? J/K

KC9SQR

TODDRICK

join:2001-08-27
Milwaukee, WI
congratulations and welcome to the tribe. I felt warm and fuzzy after each exam I took (could have been the beard but probably was stray rf). While you are on a roll start on the General study material. Contact with others will most likely generate a desire to get on hf.

Seeing as field day is almost upon us check out where your local clubs are setting up their operation and visit several if possible. Be sure to operate the GOTA (get on the air) station if they run one.

Todd N9DRY

DC Broadband
Stercus Tauri
Premium
join:2003-04-17
Stone Ridge, NY
reply to KeysCapt
Finally showed up in the database!

KC2YVJ

73's

toker815

join:2009-02-16
said by DC Broadband:

Finally showed up in the database!

KC2YVJ

73's
Congrats! I've had mine just under a week and I'm loving it so far... Even got in contact with a few old friends on the air.. You never know who you'll run into out there on the air waves...

Also try not to worry too much if you make a mistake or two.. The other operators are usually more then willing to point them out, and help you learn.. After all the "new guy" is usually expected to make a mistake or two...

Have fun with your new call sign..

KC9SQR

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

1 edit
reply to KeysCapt
Passed elements 2, 3, and 4 tonight. I'll update when my callsign shows up in the database.

There were 3 of us. Two left after passing the tech test and left me to pass general and extra on my own.

I got a nice round of applause from the folks at the meeting of the local repeater association [exams are held an hour before the monthly meetings] for going from no ticket to extra in a bit under an hour.

EDIT:
Just showed up in the database this evening: AB1NH

pleekmo
Triptoe Through The Tulips
Premium
join:2001-09-14
Manchester, CT

1 edit
reply to KeysCapt
Passed Technician exam on 9-25-2010 and just received my (paper) license on Monday. Not yet on the air yet because I'm waiting for the funds for my first rig. I'll likely be on the air by the end of the month, though!

Edit: Someone gently reminded me that I'd omitted some important information from this post: my call letters!

73 de

KB1UUL (Scott)
--
HCN: Because you deserve a rest!

Omelas: How MUCH do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one?

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
Congratulations you guys. Nice to see long-term DSLR members getting licensed.

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

1 recommendation

reply to KeysCapt
Passed Technician this morning.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
said by Postal:

Passed Technician this morning.
Good for you.

tel601

join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS
reply to KeysCapt
I got mine 1st of the year. KF5JKG

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to KeysCapt
Just passed my Tech today. Now I have two months to study for the General!! LOL (The next test session is in two months..)

Will update w/ my callsign when i get it...

Now I have to start saving money for some equipment!!

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
Congrats!

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Funny thing is, the next local exam session is May 21st. The new question pool takes effect June 2011.... So I don't know if I should wait until after June, or try to get my General before June....

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
Give it a shot. If you pass it'll save you from buying new books!
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
I tried the general after I took the tech, and bombed it big time... missed 19 out of 35..

I am using web resources to study for the general. I will take it on 5/21... if I pass... great... if I don't, then I will probably buy the book for the general...

EDIT - 3/24/11 - Callsign showed up on ULS... KK4BFN

rid0617

join:2003-07-20
Greer, SC
Totally amazes me they are now up to KK4 while other areas are just now issuing kc calls. I got mine in 1986 so the south is busy.

Ron
KB4YKJ

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
When I go to General... what would my callsign likely go to? I will probably stay with my current sign though...

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by neonhomer:

When I go to General... what would my callsign likely go to? I will probably stay with my current sign though...

Check out »www.ae7q.com/stat/LicenseUSA.php for tracking of sequentially assigned calls. I don't know if there's a difference in a FCC assigned tech or general call. I think they might come from the same pool.

There's no difference in a vanity call between a tech and general. Both are eligible for 1x3 calls. Extras are eligible for 1x2/2x1 calls.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to neonhomer
Your callsign will NOT change unless you either apply for a vanity, or check the box that tells the FCC to assign you a new one.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

W6Taurus

join:2003-01-29
Griggsville, IL
reply to KeysCapt
Took the General test last night and passed sure glad to have that done and over with. 73 KC9RFO/AG

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Took the General at Dayton and am also very glad to be done with it!

73 de W9TAM/AG
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Funny thing is, the next local exam session is May 21st. The new question pool takes effect June 2011.... So I don't know if I should wait until after June, or try to get my General before June....

Actually, the new question pool takes effect JULY 1, not June 1. You have another month if you didn't get it over the weekend.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
Took my General on 5/18 at the end of a series of class sessions the local radio club put on. Passed it, missing only 4 questions.

Took the extra as well... BOMBED IT!!

I just joined the ARRL for a year, and I got a free copy of the Extra Q&A book. Going to read up on that and see if I can get my extra by the end of the summer....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by neonhomer:

Took my General on 5/18 at the end of a series of class sessions the local radio club put on. Passed it, missing only 4 questions.

Took the extra as well... BOMBED IT!!

Congrats on passing. The biggest change is between Tech & General.

Extra is definitely one you need to study hard for. You can't skate by on that one. In my couple years of VE testing, I haven't seen anyone who even attempted to take it without studying pass it and I've seen a bunch that did study and didn't pass it. Much less so on the tech & general tests where it's less intense and if you've familiarized yourself with the material you have a shot.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

GaryCook

join:2012-03-02
Hope Hull, AL
reply to KeysCapt
February 28, 2012 Score:100 - Technician
March 13, 2012 Score:100 - General
March 25, 2012 Score:100 - Extra
KK4GSR (I'm on a study-break now)