uniqs

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

World of Warcraft Updater

This would explain why several friends of mine have been having corrupt & Incomplete WoW Updates, and need to repair an installation, and download the patch(es) manually.

CTCEO Recommendation:

Switch Providers. COX should not be disrupting a download method that is going to be more frequently used as time passes until a better technology is discovered. They should embrace and attempt to work WITH the p2p software in an effort to help minimize and make more efficient the traffic that is going across their cables.

Ultimately, no matter what the latest transmission protocol is you WILL NOT be able to entirely stop bad people from doing bad things. So COX, guess what, DEAL with it or go crying to mommy when your bankrolls get smaller and smaller, and Comcast comes a knocking with a buyout offer.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

My recommendation is to do business with a company, (wow) that takes your money and delivers the content through their own channels. If people would use P2P to share their OWN stuff with others (as it was intended) then I'd be more upset that ISPs are throttling. However, right now, you are paying companies like Blizzard AND being used (some) to sent out their distro..

If anything, I'd put pressure on the places you are spending your money to run their own data centers... after all, that's what you are paying THEM for.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

Blizzard does offer their own, and it works rather efficiently , better than most of the p2p clients put together whenever I do an update.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 edit

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Then it's not P2P... This is where the terms get very muddy and gray.. if the provider is running the network data and servers themselves, then they are a provider.. not exactly the P2P that everyone here is complaining about.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

1 edit

ctceo

Premium Member

It's Both. Their updater does have a primary connection to a direct connection with blizzards FTP downloader. The other 60-70% or so of the connection IS P2P. Hence the problems. Some of those peer to peer connections may download erroneous chunks because of the reset, and therefore the whole download is corrupt.

It does have the ability to dynamically adjust to the lack of P2P ability wether restricted by your ISP or your firewall(s), however this ability is obviously not perfect.