Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to wierdo

Re: Bittorrent is dying

said by wierdo:

There's no real way to create a distribution system that can keep up with today's broadband speeds without resorting to some sort of p2p distribution system.
Providers such as Akamai seem to be able to.
said by wierdo:

I always go to the torrent first, because 99% of the time the torrent will be faster, over 75% of the time more than 4 times as fast.
And that's the crux of the argument. Providers/Distributors are disseminating their products by transferring the cost to another entity. I believe we will continue to see crackdowns on distribution mechanisms like this. ISPs have no desire to continue eating the costs to save other business models money. Yes, I realize that statement will bring out the "but I already pay for my 15/2 connection and I should be able to exploit it to its fullest 100% of the time" crowd, but there is no way that a shared environment such as an ISP's network will be able to support the exponential growth of the P2P world...at least at the costs that consumers are paying today.
said by wierdo:

Now I can't seed to Cox users from my server because the morons are pulling the same tricks on the CBS connections as they are the residential HFC-based accounts.
Are you saying that your colo box is in a Cox datacenter? Why aren't you able to seed from your colo box?
said by wierdo:

I'd be just fine with them using QoS to reduce the priority of BT and other p2p traffic so that it would mainly take up "extra" room.
This is the correct and fair approach IMO. ISPs should relegate the priority of P2P applications/protocols to that of ICMP, or lower. It saves the ISPs' networks and still allows for the P2P users to be able to fully use their applications within the constraints of the network by allowing for enjoyment and usability for all customers.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

said by openbox9:

said by wierdo:

There's no real way to create a distribution system that can keep up with today's broadband speeds without resorting to some sort of p2p distribution system.
Providers such as Akamai seem to be able to.
Exactly, pay up for a Content Distribution Network (CDN). It has distributed peers in datacenters all over the real world and internet backbone world. There is no legitimate reason for any for-profit company to distribute ANYTHING through BT. Corporations are simply saving on their bottom line by using BT and making users pay for their downloads in exchange for "upload money".