fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to wierdo

Premium Member

to wierdo

Re: Bittorrent is dying

"There's no real way to create a distribution system that can keep up with today's broadband speeds without resorting to some sort of p2p distribution system. It's a rare site that can sustain 12Mbps in a single TCP stream, regardless of their upstream bandwidth. If the content is popular, you can forget about it."

It's statements like this that show you have a lack of knowledge in how to properly set up a distro system.

Please tell me.. Microsoft, of all people, has a HUGE pull on their updates.. and exactly how do they keep up with it?

There are many ways.. load balancing,.. mirroring,.. just to name a couple. Like it was said earlier - and I've said the same thing, this is one business offing their burden on to another. This is offloading the file delivery from the internet to the last mile providers.

This isn't P2P usage when a "business" offs it's distro on to end users to do their dirty work, which by the way, they are collecting money from you all.

If anything, if I still played WOW, which I don't, I'd be VERY upset ... I'm paying Blizzard to deliver me the goods, and instead, I'm being made to get it from somewhere else.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Ms uses akimai (spelling ?).

They own more data centers all over the world then any one. Their clustering is second to none and they serve up more bandwidth then any other company can provide. And you pay drastically to use it.

Again this comes to something that is never answered. If I pay for a cable connection why can't i use it for what i want ? This is a major reason why I am trying to get away from Comcast. I am very sick of using work arounds to be able to seed out my code changes for all of 12 hours a week.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by BosstonesOwn:

Again this comes to something that is never answered. If I pay for a cable connection why can't i use it for what i want ?
What a lot of people don't understand is that this is nothing new. There has been network restrictions or acceptable use going all the way back to dial up and even Prodigy.

If the network service you are buying a connection from doesn't want the kind of applications running on it then that's their right to set the limitations. Your entire remedy is to not do business with them.

Dial up had a few strict limitations as well.

1) No two people can connect to the network at one time. (ie: one dial up connection at a time)

2) You could not use programs to keep the connection alive. It would kick you off if you were connected with too long of an activity. This one is of particular interest because if I paid for a connection to the internet, why couldn't I leave it on all the time? After all, I paid for an unlimited use service, right?

3) Some services would FORCE you to log off after a certain period of time such as 4 or 6 hours in the day.

Terms and AUPs have been around for years. The same thing could be said about your question... If I pay for a car, why can't I drive it as fast as I want? If I pay for a seat on an airplane in coach, why shouldn't I be able to get on the plane when First class does? After all, I purchased a seat like everyone else. (My remedy - I only fly first now) The can set the rules and you either live by them, or go to the competition and give them your money.

To be honest - that's why..

Would it be nice to be able to use the connection full balls to the wall? Sure.. but the fact is, the internet isn't ready to have everything and the kitchen sink thrown to it. So, until it's time and they are ready, they will continue to manage the network to give everyone the best possible experience.