uniqs

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

what i would like

Is to be able to get another cable operator besides time warner, say cox? how about a better dsl provider like verizon say fios instead of att. I dont want the junk uverse from att with filtered internet from att. Bah
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

And I'd like to see little cuddly pink bunny rabbits hopping around delivering Easter Eggs, but guess what, it's not going to happen.
jimbo21503
join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH

1 recommendation

jimbo21503

said by openbox9:

And I'd like to see little cuddly pink bunny rabbits hopping around delivering Easter Eggs, but guess what, it's not going to happen.
Seriously, jgkolt See Profile brought a point the table. You just made yourself look like an idiot. I'm sure you're proud too, but I agree with jgkolt See Profile.

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

davoice to openbox9

to openbox9
Ha! Apparently you haven't been out lately on Easter.

That Easter bunny is just as real as residential broadband competition in the USA.

}Davoice
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to jimbo21503

Premium Member

to jimbo21503
You can agree all you want, it's still not going to happen. Besides, what do the comments (especially the ones about telcos) made by jgkolt See Profile have to do with Martin's attempt to levy additional regulation on cablecos. Perhaps you hope that Martin will require cablecos to provide wholesale access to competitors to eliminate the requirement to build out their own infrastructure. Good luck with that hope.
openbox9

openbox9 to davoice

Premium Member

to davoice
There we go. Pink Easter Bunnies for everyone.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to jimbo21503

MVM

to jimbo21503
Actually - his point is valid - until these other companies are willing to lay out huge sums of money to wire a location for an undefined return - no one else is going to be able to compete even if it is allowed. He just out it in a humorous way - that is all.

Ebolla
join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA

Ebolla

Not only willing to put up the money for cables to be run, but also needs to actually get a franchise agreement with city. If a franchise reform goes through and are no longer needed then the issue of money still stands.
MOTO6809
join:2007-11-05
Springfield, MA

MOTO6809 to jgkolt

to jgkolt
said by jgkolt:

Is to be able to get another cable operator besides time warner, say cox? how about a better dsl provider like verizon say fios instead of att. I dont want the junk uverse from att with filtered internet from att. Bah
It cost to much to overbuild a system, when you may only get 20% of the subscribers. They would buy a system rather than build it.

The closes you may get is ATT or Verizon doing an overbuild, but that could be 15yrs from now and ATT and Verizon wouldn't overbuild each other.

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
lol, openbox9 you got me laughing tonight. You analogy on the article is great.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

1 recommendation

tc1uscg to jimbo21503

to jimbo21503
said by jimbo21503:

said by openbox9:

Seriously, jgkolt See Profile brought a point the table. You just made yourself look like an idiot. I'm sure you're proud too, but I agree with jgkolt See Profile.
Idiot? Hardly. It's those who are living in a pipe dream thinking just because another "provider" won't come into thier area, the FCC is going to ride in on a white horse (or black) to save the day. Nothing is stopping Verizon from coming into my area, nothing is stopping other providers, oh shit.. wait.. it's the cash flow and demand.. Thats why they don't come around there. So, before you write off the bunny rabbit sarcasm, maybe you should pull your head out of the sand (or some place else that smells) and face what the real issue is here. I live in a area that has ATT, Comcast and WOW. It all had to do with the money the provider wanted to spend to get into the market and how much they wanted to undercut the other guy. So.. where the hell is VZ? Cherry picking, like ATT as they do best..
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Ebolla

to Ebolla
Why need to go to the city? a lot of states do it at state level. No build out requirements for a long time. Do like the Bells. And claim IPTV.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to jgkolt

Premium Member

to jgkolt
Me too. We've been having problems with our Time Warner DVR box for quite awhile. We're told to reboot the box (helps that one time but then the problem comes back). We have techs come to our house (signal strength is great, no problems that they can see). We've even swapped out the box twice (wish they could transfer recordings from the old box to the new box ). Still, we can't record a show and watch the recording from the beginning at the same time without the screen turning black.

It happened just last night to my wife. She was recording Dancing with the Stars, had 2 minutes left in the recording, and selected Play from Beginning. Suddenly the screen turned black. When she went back to the DVR listing, the recording had vanished! Time Warner tech support finally admitted that there might be an issue with Play from Beginning, but they haven't given us any home that the problem will be fixed yet.

Right now our options are:

- Stick with Time Warner even though we're not happy with the level of service we're getting.
- Switch to DirecTV and possibly pay more (we're signed up for the Time Warner All-The-Best package).

And that's it. Our choice of television comes down to The Cable Company or The Satellite Company. We should be able to pick from a few different cable companies or alternative providers (satellite, IPTV from telecom companies, etc), but we're limited to 2.
jimbo21503
join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH

jimbo21503 to tc1uscg

to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:
said by jimbo21503:
said by openbox9:

Idiot? Hardly. It's those who are living in a pipe dream thinking just because another "provider" won't come into thier area, the FCC is going to ride in on a white horse (or black) to save the day. Nothing is stopping Verizon from coming into my area, nothing is stopping other providers, oh shit.. wait.. it's the cash flow and demand.. Thats why they don't come around there. So, before you write off the bunny rabbit sarcasm, maybe you should pull your head out of the sand (or some place else that smells) and face what the real issue is here. I live in a area that has ATT, Comcast and WOW. It all had to do with the money the provider wanted to spend to get into the market and how much they wanted to undercut the other guy. So.. where the hell is VZ? Cherry picking, like ATT as they do best..
Maybe not now, but in the future when Martin is no longer the head of a department that is, mostly due to him, now under scrutiny. Hopefully after his term is up (or he is ousted), someone with a little more sense will be put in place. Favoring the telcos and regulating the cable cos with restrictions that even the telcos deserve? This guy sounds more like a joke. I can only hope that the after the next election a capable person is put in place. Our government needs more insight into technology and I hope it comes soon. I really don't care what pipe dream I live in, at least I have one. Sitting back going "not ganna happen, never ganna happen (but I wish it would/could)" isn't going to do anything.