Search similar:

uniqs

JoeCross98
@lpl.com

JoeCross98

Anon

Keep losing sync

Hi,

I just got AT&T DSL two weeks ago and I'm about to run back to Cox. But before I sell my soul to the devil, I want to try to fix the problem.

I'm using a Motorola 2210. I've been able to connect intermittently, but I lose sync about every 5 hours. It stays disconnected for a variable period of time and then magically gets sync again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is caused by old wiring. My house is 75 years old, so the electrical is horrible. I ran a new phone line under the house to the DSL modem, though, so I had hoped that would eliminate most interference. My modem is in a large rack, so that could also be generating some interference.

I've attached the Tech readout when I do have sync and when I don't have sync. I've also attached my log file, just in case it helps. I'm hoping that someone can interpret the numbers and find my problem.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Joe

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

Joe, before you run back to Cox, we can try a few things here in the public forum and if that doesn't help fix your problems, you can start a Trouble thread in the AT&T Direct private forum. Before you can post there, you must be registered here at DSLR. It's free.

First of all, your sync speed is only 1536/512 and I'm guessing you signed up for the Pro plan, 3008/512 Are you 100% sure, you have the modem correctly attached to the microfilters? You do not need a filter between the modem and the jack if the modem is the only device plugged into that particular jack. There is a suggestion in your stats that there might be some sort of filter problem. Maybe even a bad filter.
elador
join:2006-12-09
Fair Oaks, CA

1 edit

elador to JoeCross98

to JoeCross98
well since you ran your dedicated dsl line I'm assuming your some what handy. while running the line for your modem is a good start. if there is an issue with any other jack it will still effect the network. i would suggest removing the other jacks off at the outside box. try running the modem if it stays up its a wiring issue inside. you could then place the wiring for each jack back one at a time. once trouble starts up again. you have found the bad jack/filter

JoeCross98
@lpl.com

JoeCross98 to JoeCross98

Anon

to JoeCross98
I got a call back from the old ASI folks. It looks like I have a phone jack or two that I didn't know about. Probably wiring under the house somewhere I didn't notice it. I'll track those down, cut them or put a filter on them and report my results back here.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Joe

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to JoeCross98

MVM

to JoeCross98
If you put a POTS splitter at your NID or the point you attached your home run to your phone line, then you would not need to worry about those other jacks. The empty jacks do not cause problems except that they might act as internal wiring, bridged taps.

The old Speedstream modem could tell you if you might have bridged taps. The 2210 did away with this feature.

If you aren't ready to install a splitter, at least install one of your microfilters at the NID end of the home run: »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »I don’t have a splitter. Can I use an in-line filter for a home run?

JoeCross98
@sbcglobal.net

JoeCross98 to JoeCross98

Anon

to JoeCross98
Well, so far, so good.

I just disconnected all but my main phone and satellite outlets and I immediately got sync and I'm online!

I've attached a new Tech readout - would someone be able to tell me if the problems you originally saw are now gone? I've got my fingers crossed that this isn't just a coincidence.

Regarding the splitter - I'm definitely going that way if I decide to stick with DSL. I found a couple by Wilcom that look like they would suit my needs. Are there recommendations or a sticky forum with splitter info?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Joe

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

2 edits

d_l to JoeCross98

MVM

to JoeCross98
The noise margin (SNRM) looks a little better, but only because your line has been placed on interleaved mode which would help stabilize it. That may have have happened when you called ASI. They did that to help you keep sync.

JoeCross98
@pacbell.net

JoeCross98 to JoeCross98

Anon

to JoeCross98
Here's the latest:

After some tech support from ATT/ASI, they dropped my connection speed to 300+/-. I've got sync now and it's been stable. A technician is coming out tomorrow. From what I gathered from the phone support person, my jack may be miswired. Not a surprise since I did the work myself

Here's to hoping the technician can clean things up.

Joe

P.S. I don't really notice the speed decrease, even streaming video on Youtube?!?!