spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TeamGai
join:2007-06-10
Cheyenne, WY

TeamGai

Highest possible speeds

I've been tweaking, using DrTCP, and so far, I've only gotten up to 5.5mbps when my friend who's pretty much in the same boat as I am can get 7.7mbps testing speeds while I'm testing. I was thinking it could be this computer (I'm on my mom's really slow one), the USB connection she's on, the location we're in, the wiring, the connections, packet loss, or just my bad tweaking skillz. Also, when downloading videos or other large files (even on speed tests), there is major skipping/jumping/"stumbling" which causes the overall speed (speed tests) to go down, the video to skip, or the file just takes extra long to load. Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing these things :C

If someone could respond fairly quickly, I'd much appreciate it.

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium Member
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT

Tychicus

Premium Member

Re: Highest possible speeds

Need your compleate puter specs and your network setup too

ITGuy72
Permanently Disco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-01
New York

1 edit

ITGuy72 to TeamGai

Premium Member

to TeamGai
Try using Ethernet instead of USB. That should yield better results speed wise.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

I fully agree. NEVER use a USB connection.
TeamGai
join:2007-06-10
Cheyenne, WY

TeamGai

*sigh* it's been a while since I was here last, and I see the replies haven't gotten at all creative. That computer that I was talking about doesn't have ethernet capabilities, and it's going to cost too much for my budget to get it, so USB is the only alternative. It's working good enough; I don't see a reason to keep this going. Thanks... or whatever.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

You are aware that you can get an ethernet card for most any PC (IDE or PCI card) for about $3 ($7 with shipping) on newegg.com right? It's not that hard to install. Bresnan could probably bring one out and install it, but that may incur a service charge ($30 or so to roll a truck to your house).

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· +-+%2410

Hope that helps you, and I'm sorry that we're not creative enough?

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium Member
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT

Tychicus

Premium Member

And they took nearly 2 months to bother to get back and check the thread