Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Xubuntu vs. Piracy

said by »blog.washingtonpost.com/ ··· rss_blog :

The University Toolkit is essentially an operating system (xubuntu) that you can boot up from a CD-ROM. The package bundles some powerful, open-source network monitoring tools, including "Snort," which captures detailed information about all traffic flowing across a network; as well as "ntop," a tool used to take data feeds from tools like Snort and display the data in more user-friendly graphics and charts.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

Very interesting....

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

And a followup blog I thought was pretty much on
said by »cody.zapto.org/?p=6 :

However, people seem to have jumped on the “lets bash the MPAA” bandwagon before really evaluating this attempt to curve piracy.
What the MPAA has done is hired a company to work on an Open Source project and that I think is what should be the big headlines here. Yea, it does seem like the MPAA is an Open Source virgin and needs some pointers on how to get in line but once they do I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t encourage and work with the MPAA to develop a solution they can distribute to Universities, showing them the power of the Open Source community. This could be a good opportunity to get Ubuntu/Xubuntu into University infrastructures. The MPAA’s alternative on this approach is pressuring the universities into using a proprietary solution.

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan to Maxo

MVM

to Maxo
Under GNU licensing, I hope they release the source code when it's done.
Otherwise, the MPAA will be in direct violation of the GNU license.

drjim
MVM
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

WHAT!
The MPAA violating somebody's licensing term?
I'm SHOCKED!

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen

Premium Member

said by drjim:

WHAT!
The MPAA violating somebody's licensing term?
I'm SHOCKED!

Yeah, they've never lifted anyone's code or writing for any of their anti-piracy efforts before.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to TransitMan

Premium Member

to TransitMan
said by TransitMan:

It really depends. If they run proprietary applications from scratch that run on top of Xubuntu then there is no violation. If the edit the source code of GNU apps running in Xubuntu then they will have to release that code under GNU.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
Who says there's anything that needs to be released? It's most likely stock packages that Ubuntu already includes, with pre-canned configuration files for Snort and some web scripts, all of which are already visible. Or proprietary code they don't need to release, as mentioned above.

drjim
MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

drjim

MVM

Just being cynical.......

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

The difference between an optimist and a cynic ... experience.
lashmun
Premium Member
join:2002-12-14
Novi, MI

lashmun

Premium Member

said by No_Strings:

The difference between an optimist and a cynic ... experience.
+1

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to TransitMan

Premium Member

to TransitMan
said by TransitMan:

Some more info on that subject:
said by »blog.washingtonpost.com/ ··· s_1.html :

It seems that this interesting use of technology has turned into a storm of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD). Hopefully more details will be released shortly to put an end to the furry of speculations. Cody A.W. Somerville of the Xubuntu project had the following to say: "I'm excited to see the use of the Xubuntu distribution and I see this as an excellent opportunity to push a positive Xubuntu agenda; the MPAA is entitled to use Open Source Software like anyone else. Although I can not speak to the certainty of some of the claims leveled against the MPAA (copyright, trademark, privacy/security concerns), I do hope that if there are problems present that they can be resolved quickly and satisfactorily."
Maxo

Maxo

Premium Member

Looks like they used the DMCA to have them take down the University Toolkit. The irony here is very thick
said by »mjg59.livejournal.com/78590.html :

MPAA don't fuck with my shit.

(And yes, I did attempt to contact them by email and phone before resorting to the more obnoxious behaviour of contacting the ISP. No reply to my email, and the series of friendly receptionists I got bounced between had no idea who would be responsible but promised me someone would call back. No joy there, either.)

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

Looks like I called it correctly folks.
From the front page MPAA 'University Toolkit' Violated Copyright.

So sorry to those who thought the MPAA could get away with it.

jdong
Eat A Beaver, Save A Tree.
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Rochester, MI

jdong to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
Good job, MPAA. Enforcing copyright with a toolkit that infringes on Xubuntu. Now I think every Ubuntu contributor deserves $5000 back in financial damages from the potentially distributed University Toolkit builds. Furthermore, I'd like to estimate how many people with the illegally distributed University Toolkit was also put on another P2P network and hence distributed illegally.

drjim
MVM
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

ONLY $5000?
You're letting them off a lot easier than they'd let you off!

raw
War Eagle
Premium Member
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL

1 edit

raw

Premium Member

Do you know how many Ubuntu contributors exist?

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo

I was disappointed to see Open Source software being used to do the MPAA's dirty work, so this is good news to me. I don't believe the attention this program would generate would be a plus to the community in any way.

fwiw

jdong
Eat A Beaver, Save A Tree.
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Rochester, MI

jdong to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
I have little against Open Source software being used to monitor networks. I think it's even better than closed-source stuff doing it, because (1) It uses accepted tools (2) We can see how their monitoring tools work and review it for accuracy

I was disappointed to see a group so focused on copyrights manage to blatantly ignore one of the only terms of the GPL!