All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

SilverSurfer1

EFF Protects the Consumer's Interests

Yet another case that demonstrates the EFF is the only thing standing between Internet censorship/throttling/blocking by the corporately consolidated providers and the consumer. If not for EFF, the entire Internet in the Western Hemisphere would be controlled by AT*T and Verizon.

JasonD
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

JasonD

Anon

Surely you jest. Bittorent is the scourge of the internet and should be stopped, Comcast is doing it way too politely. As for the EFF, well their focus should be on where it would matter most for consumers. Instead of frivolous suits and claims against corporate entities (which is bad for business and raises prices for consumers) they should be investigating and going after phishers, scammers, spammers, and online pirates.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1
How exactly has the EFF done this great miracle? The EFF is a mouthpiece that occasionally has valid arguments of concern for the Internet populace, but I fail to see how they've been a savior for the Western Hemisphere. BTW, what percentage of the market does AT&T and Verizon own?

Gaffe
Cable n. 1 A legal means of theft.
join:2003-09-25
Alexander City, AL

2 recommendations

Gaffe to JasonD

to JasonD
Says the anonymous Comcast employee.

Zaber
When all are gone, there shall be none
join:2000-06-08
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Zaber to JasonD

to JasonD
said by JasonD :

...Bittorent is the scourge of the internet...
Justify your statement.
SilverSurfer1

SilverSurfer1 to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

How exactly has the EFF done this great miracle?
You can familiarize yourself by starting here. There are a number of factual, actual, quantifiable, qualitative case histories sufficient to get you started.
said by openbox9:

The EFF is a mouthpiece that occasionally has valid arguments of concern for the Internet populace, but I fail to see how they've been a savior for the Western Hemisphere.
Your conjecture and opinion.
said by openbox9:

BTW, what percentage of the market does AT&T and Verizon own?
Irrelevant in the face of the simple fact that the telcos have been vying for role of gatekeeper since the Net's inception.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

1 recommendation

Da Geek Kid to JasonD

to JasonD
surely yer full of $#!t...

Comcast should never be in a business that can't handle the load. We all know they cannot handle that much traffic per customer...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to JasonD

Premium Member

to JasonD
said by JasonD :

Surely you jest. Bittorent is the scourge of the internet and should be stopped, Comcast is doing it way too politely. As for the EFF, well their focus should be on where it would matter most for consumers. Instead of frivolous suits and claims against corporate entities (which is bad for business and raises prices for consumers) they should be investigating and going after phishers, scammers, spammers, and online pirates.
Wow, it looks like the Comcast shills are at the party already!
I would tend to think that the EFF is going after scammers as Comcast is trying to scam their customers under the guise of "network management".

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit

en102 to Gaffe

to Gaffe
Yup... I suspect it as well.

CableCo/Telco will raise bandwidth rates IF there's low usage.
Eg. 20Mbps connection isn't an issue if there's low usage.

This works similar to an old fashioned Telco CO, where there's a fixed capacity for lets say 40% at any one time (i.e. 40% of the phones can be calling at the same time).
Typical Internet usage (browsing, video clips,downloads) support this model

Bittorrent is a chatty protocol, and many would see this as excess traffic, or consider it as 'running servers', in a method to deter the usage of p2p/Bittorrent. An old telco equivalent would think of this as having multiple people connecting to a local # and leaving the 2 connections open. Get enough of this, and capacity issues arise.

I don't justify it... if they can't support 20Mbps, then don't offer it. Offering it, then packet shaping / filtering / throttling apps at their discression is not the answer.
Why not do it the old / AOL style:
5Mbps 'Internet' (unrestricted) = $60
20Mbps 'proxied/filtered/restricted Internet want to be' $45

This will solve this issue. Sell the Internet as the what it is. Sell a proxied/ad filled/content pushed/cookie based/data mined AOL wannabe as an alternative.
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy to JasonD

Premium Member

to JasonD
I use the Bittorent client built into World of Warcraft to send and receive patches. That is the only time I use any sort of P2P software (that I am aware of).

Does that make me part of the scourge?

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 edit

morbo

yes.
bi0tech
join:2003-06-19
Cockeysville, MD

bi0tech to JasonD

to JasonD
I often wonder how many of these type statements on a variety of subjects are true shills, overzealous non-sanctioned employee opinion, or just true believers of nonsense on their own accord.

JasonD care to fill us in?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1
The EFF is nothing but a mouthpiece for music and movie thieves.
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

said by FFH5:

Is that an offical or unoffical position by comcast, just asking for clarification.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to bi0tech

Premium Member

to bi0tech
said by bi0tech:

I often wonder how many of these type statements on a variety of subjects are true shills, overzealous non-sanctioned employee opinion, or just true believers of nonsense on their own accord.

JasonD care to fill us in?
I bet you it will be the "true beleiver" category from him.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Because, of course, a user like gateguy trying to use World of Warcraft's built-in BitTorrent client to pull down a patch or a Linux user using BitTorrent to get a new ISO are such thieves!

It's one thing if they blocked BitTorrent to someone who downloaded 20GB of data in the past week and admit to it. It's quite another to just block BitTorrent entirely while denying that any such blocking it occurring.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

jester121 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

They're actually becoming the tech world's equivalent of the ACLU -- and that's not a compliment.
SilverSurfer1

1 edit

1 recommendation

SilverSurfer1

said by jester121:

[They're actually becoming the tech world's equivalent of the ACLU -- and that's not a compliment.
Unless, of course, comes an event and/or time that you, personally need the EFF on your side (as in a DMCA matter), then you will be singing an entirely different tune, I suspect. And that's not a compliment, either.

jester121
Premium Member
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

jester121

Premium Member

said by SilverSurfer1:

said by jester121:

[They're actually becoming the tech world's equivalent of the ACLU -- and that's not a compliment.
Unless, of course, comes an event and/or time that you, personally need the EFF on your side (as in a DMCA matter), then you will be singing an entirely different tune, I suspect. And that's not a compliment, either.
Sure, since I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for my actions if I break the law. If I choose to violate the DMCA I'll be sure to pay for my own lawyer, or defend myself.

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics? How very magnanimous of them.

(I realize you're parroting my statement, but I don't think anything you said could be mistaken as a compliment. Nice try at sarcasm, though...)

snorpus
join:2000-10-02
Export, PA

snorpus

said by SilverSurfer1:

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics?
Uh, not quite. One of the most famous instances of ACLU involvement was in supporting the right of white supremacists to demonstrate in a largely Jewish suburb of Chicago.
SilverSurfer1

SilverSurfer1 to jester121

to jester121
said by jester121:

Sure, since I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for my actions if I break the law.
No idea what that means - Are you saying that anyone who employs the help of the EFF should go directly to prison without due process, including the services of an attorney?
said by jester121:

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics? How very magnanimous of them.
As evidenced by the many instances of having represented Skinheads/NeoNazis, the ACLU represents civil liberties, period. Politics doesn't even come into play.
said by jester121:

(I realize you're parroting my statement, but I don't think anything you said could be mistaken as a compliment. Nice try at sarcasm, though...)
As to sarcasm, if I wanted to hit you with any kind of wry wit, I wouldn't use your words to do it.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
said by jester121:

Sure, since I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for my actions if I break the law. If I choose to violate the DMCA I'll be sure to pay for my own lawyer, or defend myself.
Would you be willing to pay for your own lawyer to defend yourself if a big company was using the DMCA to silence you from posting something negative about them online? Even if that negative thing was true and didn't violate the DMCA? Paying for a lawyer is expensive and many people wouldn't be able to afford to defend themselves. There are some companies out there that realize this and try to use the DMCA (and other laws) as the basis for SLAPP lawsuits knowing that the average person will have no choice but to fold.

jester121
Premium Member
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1
said by SilverSurfer1:

said by jester121:

As evidenced by the many instances of having represented Skinheads/NeoNazis, the ACLU represents civil liberties, period. Politics doesn't even come into play.
You're right -- just think of all the dozens of times the ACLU has come to the aid of anti-abortion activitists, Republicans whose privacy was ignored by the Clintons, and on and on. To say nothing of the fact that it was founded by a dedicated group of communists.

:end sarcasm
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

don't hold back TCH, er I mean HCT, tell us how your company, er I mean you, really feel.

oh, by the way, the RIAA and MPAA are nothing but mouthpieces for rapacious, clueless, "megacorps".
nasadude

nasadude to TechyDad

to TechyDad
that's OK, jester21 sounds like a republican so that means he has lots of money. shoot, he probably keeps an attorney on retainer to sue people that piss him off.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

1 recommendation

Tzale to snorpus

Premium Member

to snorpus
said by snorpus:

said by SilverSurfer1:

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics?
Uh, not quite. One of the most famous instances of ACLU involvement was in supporting the right of white supremacists to demonstrate in a largely Jewish suburb of Chicago.
That is their politics... They're in the politics of following the Constitution to the 'T'.... Some people have a problem with this, so they call them liberals.... Sometimes they defend far right issues and that is used as an example that they are not a "liberal" organization. The truth is that they theoretically are independent... It just happens that the Republicans are infringing on our rights nowadays and therefore it makes the ACLU look liberal. I'm an independent an I support a Republican for president. Don't bother flaming me, I'm not a liberal.

-Tzale
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1
Failure to explain the saving of the Western Hemisphere is not my conjecture or opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by gatekeeper.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1
I agree. The EFF kicks ass. They fight for freedom.
KrK

KrK to gateguy

Premium Member

to gateguy
said by gateguy:

Does that make me part of the scourge?
Yes. AND you worship Satan!
KrK

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Much as certain users on these forums seem to be nothing but mouthpieces for corporate douchebaggery.