Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

2 recommendations

Jodokast96 to rogue_

Premium Member

to rogue_

Re: [Lens] Which lens for K100d S

Besides the massive price difference of a 300 f/2.8, you're also forgetting at who and what they are designed for. You are really not even close to comparing similar lenses. Even if I could get one for the same price as the 70-300, it wouldn't work for me one bit. I have no use what so ever at this point for a 300mm prime, and neither would most people who choose the 70-300. It's not all about the IQ. For going out there and casually shooting the kids games, you can't beat a 70-300. Yeah, I may get better looking shots with the prime, but how many do I stand to miss? No 70-300 is marketed to professional or super-serious shooters. It's for soccer moms and people like me who need some reach on a budget, and it does it's job well. Unless you're willing to spend big bucks, nothing can really touch it.

PENTAX K10D
300mm 1/350th F5.6 ISO100

PENTAX K10D
300mm 1/250th F5.6 ISO100

PENTAX K10D
300mm 1/350th F5.6 ISO100

PENTAX K10D
300mm 1/1000th F5.6 ISO800

PENTAX K10D
300mm 1/1000th F5.6 ISO200

Maybe I'm being too easy and my expectations of a $200 lens are lower than they should be, but I don't see where these are overly soft. You do have to bear with the noob photog here a little though and look at the areas that actually are in focus and not what should be in focus.

rogue_
I Have A Secret Window
Premium Member
join:2001-10-17
Lake Hiawatha, NJ

1 edit

rogue_

Premium Member

said by Jodokast96:

Maybe I'm being too easy and my expectations of a $200 lens are lower than they should be, but I don't see where these are overly soft. You do have to bear with the noob photog here a little though and look at the areas that actually are in focus and not what should be in focus.
Nah man - those photos look good for what the lens is. I'm not a pixel-peeper so to speak - If images look good to me, then that's all I need. When I look at shots I've taken between the 50-200 and either the DL or APO, I truly prefer the DA shots.. If I find some time tonight I'll post up a shot comparo between the two.

I'll mention one thing about the birdie photos you got there.. The bokeh at the top of the photos is distracting - it resembles hash marks in areas.