Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to SilverSurfer1

Re: EFF Protects the Consumer's Interests

said by SilverSurfer1:

said by jester121:

[They're actually becoming the tech world's equivalent of the ACLU -- and that's not a compliment.
Unless, of course, comes an event and/or time that you, personally need the EFF on your side (as in a DMCA matter), then you will be singing an entirely different tune, I suspect. And that's not a compliment, either.
Sure, since I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for my actions if I break the law. If I choose to violate the DMCA I'll be sure to pay for my own lawyer, or defend myself.

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics? How very magnanimous of them.

(I realize you're parroting my statement, but I don't think anything you said could be mistaken as a compliment. Nice try at sarcasm, though...)

snorpus

join:2000-10-02
Export, PA

said by SilverSurfer1:

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics?
Uh, not quite. One of the most famous instances of ACLU involvement was in supporting the right of white supremacists to demonstrate in a largely Jewish suburb of Chicago.

SilverSurfer1

join:2007-08-19
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

Sure, since I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for my actions if I break the law.
No idea what that means - Are you saying that anyone who employs the help of the EFF should go directly to prison without due process, including the services of an attorney?

said by jester121:

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics? How very magnanimous of them.
As evidenced by the many instances of having represented Skinheads/NeoNazis, the ACLU represents civil liberties, period. Politics doesn't even come into play.

said by jester121:

(I realize you're parroting my statement, but I don't think anything you said could be mistaken as a compliment. Nice try at sarcasm, though...)
As to sarcasm, if I wanted to hit you with any kind of wry wit, I wouldn't use your words to do it.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

Sure, since I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for my actions if I break the law. If I choose to violate the DMCA I'll be sure to pay for my own lawyer, or defend myself.
Would you be willing to pay for your own lawyer to defend yourself if a big company was using the DMCA to silence you from posting something negative about them online? Even if that negative thing was true and didn't violate the DMCA? Paying for a lawyer is expensive and many people wouldn't be able to afford to defend themselves. There are some companies out there that realize this and try to use the DMCA (and other laws) as the basis for SLAPP lawsuits knowing that the average person will have no choice but to fold.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to SilverSurfer1

said by SilverSurfer1:

said by jester121:

As evidenced by the many instances of having represented Skinheads/NeoNazis, the ACLU represents civil liberties, period. Politics doesn't even come into play.
You're right -- just think of all the dozens of times the ACLU has come to the aid of anti-abortion activitists, Republicans whose privacy was ignored by the Clintons, and on and on. To say nothing of the fact that it was founded by a dedicated group of communists.

:end sarcasm

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
reply to Jason Levine

that's OK, jester21 sounds like a republican so that means he has lots of money. shoot, he probably keeps an attorney on retainer to sue people that piss him off.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

1 recommendation

reply to snorpus

said by snorpus:

said by SilverSurfer1:

But isn't it interesting that the EFF and ACLU type organizations are only interested in helping people whose plight or position is closely aligned with their own politics?
Uh, not quite. One of the most famous instances of ACLU involvement was in supporting the right of white supremacists to demonstrate in a largely Jewish suburb of Chicago.
That is their politics... They're in the politics of following the Constitution to the 'T'.... Some people have a problem with this, so they call them liberals.... Sometimes they defend far right issues and that is used as an example that they are not a "liberal" organization. The truth is that they theoretically are independent... It just happens that the Republicans are infringing on our rights nowadays and therefore it makes the ACLU look liberal. I'm an independent an I support a Republican for president. Don't bother flaming me, I'm not a liberal.

-Tzale

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to snorpus

said by snorpus:

Please, don't confuse them with the facts!
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

Republicans whose privacy was ignored by the Clintons, and on and on.
Amazing how reality can get flipped completely. Swap the positions of the words "Republicans" and "Clintons" and you have ACTUAL REALITY.
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

You're right -- just think of all the dozens of times the ACLU has come to the aid of anti-abortion activitists,
Uh.... Ok, prepare to get pwned....

The Iowa Civil Liberties Union (2005) defended the rights of two teenage girls who, for religious reasons, sought to wear anti-abortion t-shirts to school after school officials threatened to punish them.

The ACLU of Ohio (2002) filed a brief in support of preacher who wanted to protest abortion at a parade, but was prohibited from doing so in an Akron suburb.

1999: The ACLU of Maryland assists the March for Life Committee in getting a permit for an anti-abortion march in Annapolis without having to pay a $5,400 fee the city was seeking. The ACLU worked with the American Center for Law & Justice to revise a proposed city ordinance so as to keep free speech free.

1997: Arizona Civil Liberties Union sues City of Phoenix to challenge an ordinance under which the City refused to allow the Children of the Rosary, an anti-abortion group, to place ads on City buses. The lawsuit was filed jointly with the American Center for Law and Justice.

1994: ACLU of Pennsylvania assisted a pregnant 17-year-old whose parents wanted her to have an abortion she didn't want. She had moved away from home to continue her pregnancy, but her parents called police to have her brought home. ACLU convinced officials to let her continue her pregnancy and live away from parents.

1993: ACLU of New Jersey files an amicus brief on behalf of anti-abortion picketers. "Our defense of freedom of speech clearly cannot vary, and has not varied, with the views expressed." -- ACLU attorney Frank Corrado.

1993: ACLU of Florida offers legal assistance to Operation Rescue, who refused the offer.

1992: ACLU of Rhode Island files a friend-of-the-court brief challenging a state judge's increase of bail for anti-abortion defendants, charged with obstructing a clinic, who refused to provide their Social Security numbers.

1991: ACLU of Northern California offers support for man arrested for displaying photographs of human fetuses.

1990: ACLU of Southern California files a brief supporting Operation Rescue's appeal of a federal judge's ruling upholding the use of "pain compliance" techniques by L.A. police.

1990: ACLU of Rhode Island files a friend-of-the-court brief in state Supreme Court in support of anti-abortion protesters challenging the constitutionality of a town ordinance limiting residential picketing.

ETC ETC ETC

Amazing how blasted the ACLU is by people--- who don't even know a damn thing about it except believe it when they hear someone call it a "Liberal-pinko-commie outfit"...

Owned.
--

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium
join:2002-03-05
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

said by jester121:

Republicans whose privacy was ignored by the Clintons, and on and on.
Amazing how reality can get flipped completely. Swap the positions of the words "Republicans" and "Clintons" and you have ACTUAL REALITY.
Yep. It wouldn't have anything to do with President Can't-Keep-It-In-His-Pants getting a BJ on company time on company property with a company employee, would it?

If anyone at my company tried the crap he pulled-- sexual impropriety and then BREAKING THE LAW by lying under oath about it-- they would be fired post haste. And their crime certainly wouldn't go unpunished either.

But then again most people I know are smart enough to not associate themselves with people like the Clintons-- for the same reason why you wouldn't want to put on your Sunday best and then go play in the mud with a bunch of pigs... you just don't want to get that dirty...
--
Some terrorists don't wear rags on their head, go without showers for weeks, and smell like camel crap. Instead they live in America and support Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama for president.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Yeah, nice twist there to try and make a bad analogy fit.

Company time, company employee, etc etc LOL

I'm betting if we had an unlimited budget and 10 years or so to conduct a witch-hunt on you something could be found to screw up your life with.

It's just a matter of prospective, really.
--