join:2001-02-08
Port Hueneme, CA

1 recommendation

hhawkman to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Double-Talk

said by FFH5:

It is about time that pay-per-byte starts getting used. It solves all problems. It monetarily penalizes bandwidth hogs. It funds infrastructure investment. It avoids the need to throttle content providers, protocols, etc.

If this model flies, then expect to see it start appearing on landline broadband as well.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "BANDWIDTH HOG"
I Pay for bandwidth, and I use it. To NOT do so would be silly. The term "BANDWIDTH HOG" was created by 'the Syndicate' to cover up the overloaded nodes they created by overselling. PERIOD!
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

You pay for a connection to the Internet for average, normal use. You don't pay for 100% of your bandwidth. If you did, your monthly bill would have a couple of extra zeros added to it.

hhawkman
Premium Member
Port Hueneme, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

hhawkman

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

You pay for a connection to the Internet for average, normal use. You don't pay for 100% of your bandwidth. If you did, your monthly bill would have a couple of extra zeros added to it.
No offence my friend... What IS normal use? And who the FRACK gave you that mindset? I pay for X download, and X upload. And I'm damn well gonna use it if I need to. If I can't Use it, I am being defrauded by my provider.

booticon
join:2007-07-31
East Lyme, CT

1 recommendation

booticon

So you say "no offence" (sic), but then you trash on the poor guy?

Oh, and have you read your AUP lately? Acceptable use isn't saturating your connection 24/7, whether you think you *need* it or not.

hhawkman
Premium Member
Port Hueneme, CA

hhawkman

Premium Member

said by booticon:

So you say "no offence" (sic), but then you trash on the poor guy?

Oh, and have you read your AUP lately? Acceptable use isn't saturating your connection 24/7, whether you think you *need* it or not.
Who said anything about saturating it 24/7?
However, I have that right if I so choose.

And again, the jury isn't necessarily out on the "idiot" thing. Go troll somewhere else.

booticon
join:2007-07-31
East Lyme, CT

1 edit

booticon

Did you even read that first question?

Nice, I disagree with you, and that makes me a troll. I believe you are the idiot. And yes, I do mean that in an offensive way.

(Edited to add emphasis)

hhawkman
Premium Member
Port Hueneme, CA

1 edit

hhawkman

Premium Member

said by booticon:

Did you even read that first question?

Nice, I disagree with you, and that makes me a troll. I believe you are the idiot. And yes, I do mean that in an offensive way.

(Edited to add emphasis)
We all have our opinions.
(edited to show that I don't care about your emphasis)
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to hhawkman

Premium Member

to hhawkman
said by hhawkman:

No offence my friend... What IS normal use?
There's a second word that you conveniently left out...average. Averages are extremely easy to calculate and hence very helpful in defining normal.
said by hhawkman:

I pay for X download, and X upload.
No, you pay for "up to" the capability to peak to X download and Y upload.
said by hhawkman:

If I can't Use it, I am being defrauded by my provider.
There is no fraud in your scenario. If you pay for guaranteed throughput and have the SLA to prove it, then you can claim failure by your service provider. I still wouldn't call it fraud, but you can use whatever semantics that make you happy.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

said by openbox9:
said by hhawkman:

No offence my friend... What IS normal use?
There's a second word that you conveniently left out...average. Averages are extremely easy to calculate and hence very helpful in defining normal.
said by hhawkman:

I pay for X download, and X upload.
No, you pay for "up to" the capability to peak to X download and Y upload.
said by hhawkman:

If I can't Use it, I am being defrauded by my provider.
There is no fraud in your scenario. If you pay for guaranteed throughput and have the SLA to prove it, then you can claim failure by your service provider. I still wouldn't call it fraud, but you can use whatever semantics that make you happy.
Get business class service and "Acceptable use" should be out the window. That's a case where you can be assured full usage of the bandwidth both up and down that you are paying for. Of course it costs about 4 times as much as residential, but rightly so since presumably you are running a business and require tighter SLA's on your connection.

- FM
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

You can get guaranteed full usage of your connection if you have a dedicated connection (not the "$359 Speakeasy Special"), which usually costs more than 4 times as much as a residential connection....and that's assuming only a circuit such as a T-1.