Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nskbalu

join:2007-11-28
USA

How to apply firmware in sb5101?

How do we apply the firmware in SB5101?

Please elaborate the steps if we are doing the firmware upgrade using manual process.

Bala

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

1 recommendation

As far as I know, you can not upgrade moto firmware. Only your ISP can upgrade it.

»Motorola Forum FAQs »Can I update my modem's firmware?

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to nskbalu

From what I have read on these forums, some ISP's will help you if you call in and request that the latest firmware be pushed out to your modem, while others won't even give you the time of day if you make such a request.

That said, I believe that for pretty much every ISP, if you remove the AC power from the modem for a few minutes, and then plug it in again, when the modem initializes, it will automatically check to see if the firmware agrees with what your ISP is currently using for that model and will update if needed. Others are welcome to correct me if I am wrong here.

It is also my understanding that different ISP's can be using different firmware versions for the same model modem, so just because you read that someone on Comcast (for example) has SB5101 firmware version ABC, and Cox has given you version 123, this doesn't mean that you have inferior firmware.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to nskbalu

As already said; YOU can't upgrade the firmware on the modem. If you reboot(powerdown and restart) your modem, your ISP will auto flash if one is necessary.

If you did manage to get a hack, your ISP will flash the correct one anyway.
--
Looking for fly shit in pepper.