uniqs

redsonrising
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Sacramento, CA

redsonrising

Premium Member

Hot water heater blanket

My hot water heater is out in the garage. Its secured to the walls around it with metal straps (required in California I believe). The question I have is how do I install the hot water heater blanket? Do I take the straps off, install it and put the straps back on (not really something I want to do)? Or do I install the blanket "around" the straps (cutting where necessary)? I'm also not real clear on which sections I need to keep clear when I put the blanket on (aside from the front panel of course).

Thanks for the help!

r_r

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

The way mine is setup is, the jacket is first then the galvanized plumbers tape around the jacket.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to redsonrising

MVM

to redsonrising
how new is the WH? if it is less than 5 years old, then a blanket won't do much good. the easy way to tell if you need a blanket is to touch the heater. if the outside is warm/hot to the touch, then you are losing a lot of heat and should blanket it. if it is pretty much room temp, then your is new enough that it has the extra insulation in it not to require an external blanket.

TJ_in_IL
join:2006-06-10
Winthrop Harbor, IL

TJ_in_IL to redsonrising

to redsonrising
You may want to check with the manufacturer of the water heater. My understanding is that any newer water heater (within the last 7 years), has sufficient insulation, and a blanket is not required. In addition, the installation of an auxillary blanket may cause damage, and possibly void your warranty.
You are more likely to get better results by installing heat traps and insulating the pipes. Heat traps are modified pipe nipples with flow restrictors, to prevent the leaching of heated water out of the tank when not flowing water. They do not restrict waterflow during normal operations.
My water heater is located in my semi-conditioned basement in Illinois, and after installing the heat traps, and installing pipe insulation, I noticed a drop in gas consumption, even during the summer months. My water heater was installed in 1976, and the water temp is 120 degrees set to under normal setting on the thermostat. I considered installation of a blanket, but opted to paint the tank with a ceramic bead based radiant barrier paint. The outside of the tank went from warm to the touch, to cold, after the paintig.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

TJ

redsonrising
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

redsonrising

Premium Member

It was put in when we bought the house, so its almost 8 years old. The garage gets fairly cold at night so I figured the blanket would help. It gets warm to the touch, not hot, but warm the times I have touched it.

The main sticking points I've had to putting it on is how to deal with the metal support straps that secure it to the wall. I guess I can just trim around those. The other point is what I need to leave uncovered. I guess anything that's "sticking out"?

r_r
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to redsonrising

Premium Member

to redsonrising
Older HWH's used fiberglass insulation and the newer good ones use foam. Should be fairly easy to tell which yours has.

TJ_in_IL
join:2006-06-10
Winthrop Harbor, IL

TJ_in_IL to redsonrising

to redsonrising
Most blankets will come with specific instructions on installation, depending on whether it is an electric or gas heater.
Basicly, you want to stay away from the burners/heater elements, in addition to the flue if it is gas.
As far as the straps, you will have to be creative in trimming around them. Make sure you secure the insulation well with tape, and you may have to install aditional tape where the straps are.
Being that you are in California, I would think that any blanket you get may have some additional instructions about how to go about installations with the siesmic straps already in place. I also wouldn't hurt to ask somebody about it when you go and purchase the blanket. Occasionaly there is somebody that has half a brain at the bigbox stores that could offer additional tips.
I opted for the paint instead of the blanket because I did not want to deal with the whole mess of installing and taping the blanket.

TJ

redsonrising
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

redsonrising

Premium Member

The blanket I got has crappy instructions (i.e. wrap around water heater, secure with tape...). Nothing about dealing with straps. None of the people in the big box stores could help.

Maybe I'll go back to the ACE by me and talk to them. They were the only ones who knew that 2.5" screw in plumbing caps were only sold in plumbing supply stores. My house is a bit crazy...the old owners were contractors and were doing all kinds of things to it, then went bankrupt and got forclosed on. We bought it from the bank providing they brought it up to FHA standards, which they did. But that translated into basic fixtures which I've been slowly upgrading as I have the funds/time.

Thanks for all the advice though. I'll check things out this weekend and see how this all matches up.

r_r

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

HRM to redsonrising

MVM

to redsonrising
I think you may be over thinking this.

All you need to do is insulate the tank with the material you have. If it is visible, it should look as nice you can reasonably make it. Just wrap it tight and do your best to keep it warm as possible.

I take it you have a tube of some kind. Just measure how far down you need slits to let the straps pass, measure the distance between the straps and make a parallel cut. Then when it is on, just tape the slit closed. It isn't something that needs to be meticulously planned. If it the heater was warm, this will keep the heat in better. That is all that needs to be done.