spc
uniqs
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl to MadDog3057

to MadDog3057

Re: Any one else ?

No, he's refering to how things with equal computing power cost more when mixed with fruit.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

quote:
No, he's refering to how things with equal computing power cost more when mixed with fruit.
I agree to a certain extent. Now that Apple is using Intel stuff, it's easier to make comparisons. From what I can tell, Apple's hardware isn't generally terribly "overpriced" when it first comes out. Apple tends to offer high end stuff (e.g., the minimum configuration of their Mac Pro tower is a dual Xeon Woodcrest). It was actually cheaper than a comparable Dell Precision workstation. The same was true of my Mac Pro.

Of course, now you look at the same machine, you can get "consumer grade" quad core chips that perform just as well for far less money.

The issue is the price and spec usually stays the same (or close to the same) over the course of the year or two during the product's lifecycle, and they're slow to offer new versions of their products. So depending on where you buy in the product's lifecycle it's somewhere between high end and overpriced. They don't do "bang for the buck".

The upshot to all of this is that Apple has more definitive hardware platforms. Because they hang onto a certain configurations, they are more likely to maintain them and deal with quirks that may arise. You're less likely to end up with an "obscure" model that's hard to find support for.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

Ahrenl

I suppose. I look on computers as disposable, as it's generally less expensive to replace than repair. Kind of like a CRT TV.

I'm also jaded because I build my own systems, so I don't repurchase the OS and other apps everytime I "upgrade". I end up with superior parts for close to what budget boxes cost, thus they end up being superior in spec to Macs. I don't think ANY of the pre-built systems are good; so I'm not just picking on Macs. They just don't have a budget box for me to compare to.
attengineer
join:2007-09-26
Westland, MI

attengineer to Ahrenl

to Ahrenl
Absolutely untrue. Other than a flea market special... component for component a Mac is actually cheaper then a similiar Dell or HP or Gateway PC. Wont count Emachine because no one (who knows better) would buy one.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

"Mac is actually cheaper then a similiar Dell or HP or Gateway PC"

I lol'd at that
attengineer
join:2007-09-26
Westland, MI

attengineer

Need proof? Or can you go to Dell.com and Apple.com and build a like for like machine yourself?

Sometimes I just get tired of having to do the work myself for the clueless. But I will if I need to again I guess.
Cowboy86
join:2004-02-06
Franklinville, NJ

Cowboy86 to djrobx

to djrobx
Actually they're not. In comparison you can get 750 GB more of storage, 7 GB more of ram, HD DVD burner, 950 watt power supply, 2 Quad core 2.4 Ghz xeon's that are overclockable and a good 3rd party dual processor motherboard for much cheaper than a Mac Pro. With better warranties most of the time.