Washington, DC

1 recommendation

pike

Premium Member

[XM] Terrestrial repeater mapping

xmrepeaters.kml.zip
29,774 bytes
XM Repeater Locations
Simply import the attached KML file into your local copy of Google Earth and away you go!

I haven't opened it in a while but I believe clicking on a repeater location will also provide additional information such as wattage, altitude, etc. Have fun.

-Mike
pike

pike

Premium Member

Click for full size
By the way, if you've ever wondered what XM's repeater equipment looks like, check this out:

»ednixon.com/pix/2001/xmharvard/

KeysCapt

join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

Nice uh, base.
Think they could afford a real rack ...

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

yeah no kidding Capt. you'd think they'd have a more quality install than that. maybe Opie & Anthony (XM 202) installed that one.

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

jazzman916 to KeysCapt

MVM,

to KeysCapt
said by KeysCapt:

Think they could afford a real rack ...
Sometimes they can .

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

Got one of those in Malvern, PA, on a monopole tower owned by Crown Castle, co-located with a Verizon Wireless and AT&T cell site.

I should go back there and snap a few digital pix, the transmit antenna is only an omni directional stub, but the receive antenna has the characteristic look of a small wilted mushroom.

They need more of those ground repeaters, as when the leaves are on the trees, the reception quality is greatly diminished.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

You do have your antenna mounted on the outside of your vehicle, right? Many people mistakenly think it will be just fine on their dashboard but it just doesn't work unless you have really get repeater coverage. Window tint, blocked angles from the roof and pillars, and the lack of a suitable ground plane = signal dropouts.

-Mike

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

said by pike:

You do have your antenna mounted on the outside of your vehicle, right? Many people mistakenly think it will be just fine on their dashboard but it just doesn't work unless you have really get repeater coverage. Window tint, blocked angles from the roof and pillars, and the lack of a suitable ground plane = signal dropouts.

-Mike
The antenna is on the back of the roof, right where GM/Pontiac placed it when they designed the car.

This is a GM factory install, and trees obstructing the South Western sky greatly affects the reception, unless I am driving more in the vicinity of the closest ground repeater.