Search similar:

uniqs

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Unlocked CDMA devices... ?

Wireless open access is nice, but don't think its going to be 'all that'.

1. Where are you going to find unlocked CDMA 1x/EVDO devices ?
2. What 'cost' is going to be associated with 'ceritification' for VWZ's network (I don't suspect they'll certify a portable bittorrent device).

What kind of wireless interface will Google be using ? GSM, CDMA, WiMAX, WiFi, or something else ?

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

said by en102:

Wireless open access is nice, but don't think its going to be 'all that'.

1. Where are you going to find unlocked CDMA 1x/EVDO devices ?
2. What 'cost' is going to be associated with 'ceritification' for VWZ's network (I don't suspect they'll certify a portable bittorrent device).

What kind of wireless interface will Google be using ? GSM, CDMA, WiMAX, WiFi, or something else ?
Actually, you can buy unlocked CDMA Motorola handsets *today* directly from Motorola (»store.motorola.com). Their prices are the same as their unlocked GSM equivalents (much more expensive than the same handset with a plan). What's the *real* reason for the cost differences between GSM and CDMA versions of the *same handset*? And don't give me that *GSM is more prevalent so it's cheaper* guff, as right now the price differences for the same handset, whether GSM or CDMA, are less than five percent (in fact, in most cases, there's no price difference at all).