join:2002-06-02
Watertown, MA

slainte35

[cable] Motorola SB4100

Here are the signal from my SB4100:

Downstream Value
Frequency 691784500 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level -1 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 35600000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 51 dBmV

Can anyone tell me if these are good or bad. Not much experience in reading these.

The reason I am asking is the activity light on the modem is always a constant amber. This is relatively new. In the past it used to flash. Not sure if indicative of a problem.

Thanks.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The modem will most likely work at a 51 dBmv upstream power level, but it would be a good thing if you could reduce this value. Make sure there is no more than one splitter between where the cable enters the house and the modem's input. Splitters should be good-quality (not Wal-Mart or Radio Shack) 5-1000 MHz units. Cables should be RG-6 (preferably Quad-Shield) with compression (not twist-on or crimp-on) connectors.

Your downstream power and S/N ratio look fine.

Impossible to know from a distance, but perhaps the activity light changed its behavior because your ISP sent out new firmware to the modem.

The modem you have has been out for awhile and is not supported by some ISP's any longer, so, if it gives you trouble, best to replace it with one of the newer Motorola 51XX models. Around here, at least, I have found that Wal-Mart's everyday price beats the after-rebate prices at the other stores. Note that the advice about trying to reduce your upstream power still applies even if you get another modem.