All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
joede
join:2006-02-04
New York, NY

joede

What is minimum connection speed required for vonage?

I'm thinking of getting vonage, but not sure if I have fast enough speed. I got the lowest speed from RR NY:

»i.dslr.net/imc/0/0/7/8/4 ··· 8005.png

do I need to increase the speed or will that be enough for vonage?
DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

DiskDrive

Premium Member

1389k/243k is more than sufficient for use with Vonage.
joede
New York, NY

joede

Thank you. I'm reconsidering though because of this post:
»Vonage and Roadrunner. Caught in the middle!

Bigsteeljack's post is exactly what happened to a good friend of mine...only it happened with Cox Internet just as their inet phone came out.

I have a couple of friends in my neighbourhood who had vonage and they decried the service. I doubt it's vonage's fault because I had them (before my ex "inherited" it) since they came out and except for a bit of noise from time to time, it has worked great. Never even changed the modem.

This is very upsetting. The cable companies are destroying Vonage for competitive reasons, but what can you do as a consumer?

I won't reward RR w/ a phone if they're really sabotaging vonage...but who wants to pay through the nose to Verizon?

Maybe I'll go with a little known third party VOIP service. Do you think the cable companies are targetting on IP addresses as mentioned in that other thread, or can they detect a VOIP protocol and may target those too at some point?

Our government should protect us from this nonsense. We don't even have a choice of cable company due to these monopolies.

Sorry for ranting but dealing w/ these companies and making these choices is pretty frustrating.
mecha50
join:2004-06-11
Daly City, CA

mecha50 to joede

to joede
said by joede:

I'm thinking of getting vonage, but not sure if I have fast enough speed. I got the lowest speed from RR NY:

»i.dslr.net/imc/0/0/7/8/4 ··· 8005.png

do I need to increase the speed or will that be enough for vonage?
By default, it uses 90 kbps up/down

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to joede

Premium Member

to joede
said by joede:

The cable companies are destroying Vonage for competitive reasons, but what can you do as a consumer?

I won't reward RR w/ a phone if they're really sabotaging vonage...but who wants to pay through the nose to Verizon?
I know exactly what you mean. When I was test driving Comcast, my Vonage lines were almost unusable if I routed them through the Comcast connection. The Vonage connection quality test on a good day might show a QOS of ~70%, but it would usually be less than 30%.

On both my AT&T/BellSouth and Covad connections (now that I have dumped Comcast), the Vonage connection quality test is consistently over 90% and the calls are crystal clear.
joede
New York, NY

joede

After very much consideration, in the end I decided to go w/ Vonage. So far it seems to work OK. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks everyone for their help!
radam
join:2004-02-13
Fairfax Station, VA

2 edits

radam

I've never had a problem with Vonage. They require about 90Kbps. Any "connection" problems seemed to be with Cox cable not Vonage. And even Cox is fairly solid in Northern Virginia now. (I've been a customer for about 4 years now.) I can carry on a phone conversation and video/audio conferencing simultaneously without any hiccups. The video/audio conferencing needs a minimum about 500kbps.