how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kmmccue

join:2007-07-07
Richmond, VA

Cavalier will not answer a simple question

I just have two simple questions but I cannot get anyone from CavTel support to answer them. I emailed twice and waited about a month. Nothing. Then I tried telphoning and waited over 20 min. the first time and over 30 min. the second time but nobody ever came on the line. I also tried the online chat but that is also useless.

So here are my simple questions:
1. What are the steps to putting information on your personal web page? The online quide is not specific enough. I need to know where to FTP my index.html page and how to login to FTP (what user name and password to use in other words).
2. Sometimes I cannot Remote Desktop to my PC. I have the Paradyne DSL modem. It's like the DSL modem goes to sleep or something. If I surf the web then it wakes up and then I get Remote Desktop to work again for awhile. How do I fix it so the DSL modem stays on? The DSL modem is connected to a D-Link router if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help!

Here is the only information that I can get from Cavalier:
Can I have a personal webpage?

Yes, Cavalier offers 3 free Megabytes of Web Page storage on our Servers for your personal Website.

Ok. What is the Host name of the server?? Is it members.cavtel.net??

How do I create my personal web site?

To create your personal Web Site, you will have to know some HTML coding and a little bit about FTP (File Transfer Protocol).

I know how to do this. I also have FileZilla. I just need the username and password.

What is the URL of my personal web site?

The web address of your personal web page will be »members.cavtel.net/yourusernamehere

So therefore my personal web page would be »members.cavtel.net/kmmccue1 or what??

Curatica

@sbcglobal.net
Getting to talk to someone at Cavalier is a big challenge, indeed. But there are patient and lucky persons who did.

Here is another story: an old lady who barely speaks English found her long distance service transferred from FoneTel to CavTel without any notification. Discovering after a few months that her monthly bill was about $100 higher than before, she switched to another carrier. This happened six months ago in June 2007. Since then, she hasn't been able to cancel the deal with CavTel although she called them every month and paid over $350 in monthly fees to this company. Finally, on Dec. 8 she managed to speak to a representative who promised to close her account and reimburse her for the unwarranted fees. To this day, Dec. 17, her account hasn't been closed.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
If she was in VA she should have contacted the SCC and they would have pressured Cavtel for her. The initial issue was a slam and they would have fixed that too.
--
FWD#: 223611

kmmccue

join:2007-07-07
Richmond, VA
reply to kmmccue
Cavalier Telephone finally answered my question above when I used the residentialinfo@cavtel.com email address as posted elsewhere on the this forum. Also, I still have the problem where I cannot connect via Remote Desktop sometimes. If I keep trying it finally works. I have searched the forum here but I could not find the answer. I have the Paradyne DSL modem. I think it is a setting but I don't know what it is. All I know is that it is extremely hard to get any help via the help@cavtel.net address or the help line at (866) 221-1063 -- this number is ridiculous because the wait is at least an hour. I am not really sure because I cannot wait that long!!

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Ok, first thought.. I am assuming that you are having the issue when away from home with the remote desktop not working. Is it possible that the computer is going into stand-by mode? Second, since you have the IP address for your internet connection, can you ping it during the times you cannot connect. This will at least tell us if it is an issue with the modem going to sleep. Third, in your router, do you have the ports for remote desktop forwarded to the computer you are connecting to?
--
FWD#: 223611