Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Satch

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

I just noticed that deleting a recording brings up an are you sure type menu press yes or no.

So, i checked the diagnostics and saw that we were updated:
twc_diags_5_0_0_2
twc_aloader_6_0_0_20
twc_odn_6_0_0_19
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Satch

join:2009-11-25
reply to Satch
Important information about this update:

Digital Phone subs who got this update, should also check their Caller ID prompt settings if they want the prompt turned on. The new software turned mine off. (Go to Settings and Caller ID, and Select on for the Display Prompt to make sure your Call setting prompt is on, if that's how you had it before.)

Satch

Satch

reply to Gemutlich
Wisconsin updated to ODN 6.0.19 last night. San Diego got the update also on Tuesday morning.

Satch

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14

4 edits
reply to Gemutlich
Followup 24 hours later:

I added 6 series back into series manager and scheduled them for tonight. While they still remain in the Series Manager, they are not showing in Scheduled Recordings and the box does not go into recording mode at the specified time. I am able to initiate a manual recording of a current show. I haven't noticed any other problem with either Navigator or my cable service.

Addendum 2:
Another 3 hours has gone by and now it seems to be working--recording the new things listed in Series Manager. Very bizarre.

Addendum 3:
Rather than drive 20 miles to return the box, I talked to Tech Support again tonight. They told me that my box was indeed receiving maintenance to it last night and that could have affected the box's memory temporarily. He said that last night the maintenance work was being done on the customer boxes, and that tonight they were doing the maintenance on the head-end side. So I've decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and not return the box yet, assuming the glitch was due to their maintenance. It's a bit unsettling, however, not to know whether to trust it or not.

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14
reply to cypherstream
I had 13 series programmed into my DCX3510-M, and have not had any trouble the last few months. Everything would record as scheduled. Until I got a surprise tonight.

I had the power off some this weekend, so I had the box turned off, and rebooted Sunday night. I didn't check to see if my "scheduled recordings" setup was still visible since I had no reason to think they would be gone. Tonight when I got ready to watch Monday's recorded programs, my Monday recordings had not recorded. So I got to looking around and all of my "scheduled recordings" list was gone. In fact the choice "scheduled recordings" did not even appear at all when into the LIST mode. My recordings through last Friday are stlll present and show up, but nothing is shown to be scheduled in the future.

I rebooted again tonight, and still nothing. I will have to set all 13 series back up.

I tested the feature by choosing a program to record, then I looked and the "scheduled recordings" feature has returned, but only for that 1 program. I can't figure out what happened to wipe out all my "Scheduled Recordings". Now my confidence level is not high.

Any thoughts?

Satch

reply to Bucolic
said by Bucolic :

How do you set your box to automatically start on a particular channel each time? Thanks!

Hi!

This should work:

1.) Press Settings on Remote.
2.) Scroll to the Display Option.
3.) Go to "Power on Channel."
4.) Press Select.
5) Choose the channel for which you want the box to tune to every time you first turn on the TV.
6.) Save your selection.
7.) Press Exit

*TV now tunes to your designated power on channel each time.

Bucolic

@rr.com
reply to cypherstream
How do you set your box to automatically start on a particular channel each time? Thanks!

Satch

1 edit
reply to Vertigo
My friend in Syracuse, NY reports that ODN 7.0.04 is in his diagnostics page. He is still on ODN 6.0.19. He may be leaving TWC to look at more efficient whole home solutions, and better equipment from the competition. However, will miss the good retention deals that TWC has always had.

He reports that ODN 6 has been the most stable release for his area.

Satch

Vertigo

@myvzw.com
reply to Satch
Speed wise, the box is about the same. Its only been a week or two since the update so I can't comment on the slow down issues. The settings menu is somewhat glitchy and the graphics overlap if you move too fast. The Motorola implementation doesn't seem to have the alternative theme but perhaps it was buried deeper in the options.

Satch

1 edit
reply to Vertigo
said by Vertigo :

I'm not sure when the update hit but our Motorola DCX3510 has ODN 6.0.0.19 now in the SoCal market. I've noticed no major changes other than the subscribed channel guide filter.

Is ODN 6.0 faster? I hope it resolves the 30-45 day latency on the SA and Samsung boxes! Good to see it is starting to roll out.

You can also supposedly change the color palette in settings. (Look under Display.)

I heard that you can now use the arrow keys to go from screen to screen more with this version as an option over the "A" "B" "C" buttons. Don't know for sure. ODN 6.0 also has preparation software for the cloud-based services being developed. In the coming years, TWC wants to work to get the settings and programs that clog up the memory of the legacy boxes to a secure-cloud based environment, where shows and settings sit on the server instead of the boxes!

The new Cisco's, Samsungs, and Motorolla's will start to get cloud services first. TWC will than gradually move them to the older boxes. They have been working to get the boxes more "uniform."

The newer boxes will have the six-tuner DVR, (might only be available for Whole Home or Signature Home Subs, for some time.) The local divisions will be making that call. (Summer Rollout.) Only the newer cloud based boxes will be able to eventually do an HD-guide., which is being developed as part of the cloud technology. No idea on any release dates yet. It's going to be an on-going process.

Satch

Vertigo

@myvzw.com
reply to jimk
I'm not sure when the update hit but our Motorola DCX3510 has ODN 6.0.0.19 now in the SoCal market. I've noticed no major changes other than the subscribed channel guide filter.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Satch
Both of my Cisco boxes just downloaded an update.

ODN is still at 6.0.0.19
Looks like the update may have been for the OS and Axiom Middleware (they are showing dates of January 24th and 23rd of this year).

I'm in the Raleigh, NC market.

Edit: Image File is also showing a date of January 24th

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to MeInDallas
got it both our cable boxes have 5.2.09 thanks for the info

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX
reply to DelmarPip
said by DelmarPip:

hey how do you check to see that odn thing ?

On mine, you go into the diagnostics page, then go down to host diagnostics, hit select, then you will see software code versions, hit select, then scroll down to the second page and you should see there TWC_ODN_X_X_X_X listed there. I dont know if they are all the same that way. I hope that helps.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to Happydude32
hey how do you check to see that odn thing ?

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to cypherstream
As expected, ODN 6.0.0.19 was released in WNY this morning.

Satch

reply to hobgoblin

Re:  

said by hobgoblin:

We had Sarah. Of course Passport was not supporting, Start Over, Look Back or caller ID on TV at the time was it? Because neither that or Sarah could. There may be some sort of trade off there.

Hob

Hobs,

We got Gatored in the Spring of 1998 from Passport. Milwaukee Wisconsin was a test market back in 2007, but the upgrade went almost as bad as in Lincoln Nebraska when Gator first came out, so it got shelved for a year.

I had MDN (SA-8300) at the time. The box lasted for about three years I think, got stuck during an update and couldn't get unstuck, so they brought out the SA-8300HDC and I have had that box since. ODN 5.2.7 was painfully slow with multiple search listings, ODN 5.2.9 fixed that. Still had a 30-45 day slowdown.

We got that service pack for 5.2.09. Do you know what that service packed fixed? I had a slow down, that was fixed with a cold reboot. We'll see if it holds.

We did have Caller ID, the Passport version for about a month before the Navigator change over. Because of the Gator transition going on, a lot of times the ID thing wouldn't show, or when it did, it would be the size of a postage stamp. Almost no problems with Caller ID on Navigator. TWC Digital Phone, the greatest ever! Also great is TWC High Speed Internet! Love Both!

What you could do on Passport Caller ID was control how long you wanted the display to show on the screen, which was nice.

Satch

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to hobgoblin
Unless I'm reading your post wrong, SARA could most definitely support both Start Over and Caller ID on TV, I’ve used both on SARA. Look Back is a relatively new feature to Time Warner and wasn’t around pre Navigator. San Antonio, Charlotte and Rochester were the three test markets for Start Over and that launched around November 10th 2006, well before Navigator was around.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Satch
We had Sarah. Of course Passport was not supporting, Start Over, Look Back or caller ID on TV at the time was it? Because neither that or Sarah could. There may be some sort of trade off there.

Hob

Satch

reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

I love your passion regarding Keywords. I don't really know but I believe the older boxes like your 8300d might struggle handling the search.....clearly the more advanced boxes may be in better shape.

On a side note and this is just a personal comment, I dont remember the last time I ever used the search for myself...I have tested it a number of times.

Hob

I am hoping ODN SA-8300HDC can handle it, although anything lower, on the MDN platform, I could see where that would be a problem. Actually, I think the MDN SA-8300 and SA-8240 could do it, (a stretch) but MDN below that, no I don't think so.

Yea, I used keyword search back when we still had the Passport software. That's what I don't get Hobs. How come Passport could do Keyword Search fine on boxes from 5-10 years ago, and Navigator can only do keyword search currently on the Whole Home boxes? Passport seemed to do more with less!

I like the keyword search, but enough where I would be forced into getting a new box just to have that feature? No. A source told me it is being worked on for legacy boxes.

I agree though, Gators would be so much better if TWC could just code for one modern DVR box and one modern non-DVR box. However, in so many divisions, you can't even get a modern box, unless you are a whole home sub.

Hobs, did your area of New York come from Passport to Navigator or from SARA to Navigator? Oh yea, and I just remembered as I was typing this! Some areas of TWC LA are on I-Guide software.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Satch
I love your passion regarding Keywords. I don't really know but I believe the older boxes like your 8300d might struggle handling the search.....clearly the more advanced boxes may be in better shape.

On a side note and this is just a personal comment, I dont remember the last time I ever used the search for myself...I have tested it a number of times.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

So who associates keywords with the programs for the meta data listing? Does Tribune or Rovi? The box can't figure it out on it's own.

Navigator uses Tribune Media Services for its guide data, so I assume the keyword search feature would associate that data with whatever words are in the program description database.

My understanding is that the "search" must be found in the title of the program or any word in the program description for the results to be returned. In fact with keyword search, Title searches would be a part of it automatically, and would not even be needed as a separate entry in searching.

Search for "Pizza" with keyword search means you can't go wrong because any show would be returned if pizza was in the show title or description. Search for actors, Search for titles, type in a keyword and anything associated with that keyword shows up. My guess is that it would cut customers' and employees search time at least in half. The way Navigator works now for the boxes that still have the Title Search only, unless the Title is exact, you WILL NOT SEE your results in the listing. This is why keyword search is a very important needed feature for TWC Navigator.

People use keyword searches all the time. Not just related to cable! Search engines are based that way, Smart Phone Directories, I-Pads. Just about every query when people search for information and people, relates to searching by keywords. If TWC really wants to develop Navigator across platforms, keyword search is not only something that should be there, to compete with modern technology, it MUST be there.

Satch

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to Satch
So who associates keywords with the programs for the meta data listing? Does Tribune or Rovi? The box can't figure it out on it's own.

Satch

reply to DrDrew
I had a Navigator issue the other day where the only way I could get Closed Captioning to turn off was a cold reboot. (This is on my SA-8300HDC.) I did report it to the Direct to Tech forum and they are gonna escalate the issue.

Closed Captioning has been wonky on Navigator for many people. But I think there are very few general population people that use it. In fact, I am hearing impaired, and CC did not work on our old SDTV even in the Passport days. When we got our new HDTV and the proper HDMI hookup, it worked.

I think Navigator is getting better, but the improvement process is still very slow. Family members and relatives are still not understanding that the Keyboard Search is Title Based Only and are missing shows because of it. I made a tutorial to show people how to find shows that are not obvious through Title Searches. (For example Sports shows require that you type the exact name of the sport. However, you also have to key for the keyboard the TYPE of sport.

The world "Football" won't show all football games. Want pro football? You have to type "NFL Football" or Pro Baseball type "MLB Baseball." Tennis is really hard, because there can be three or four different types of Tennis matches, theres "US Open", "Wimbleton", different regional matches. But on that stupid title only keyboard, if you don't know the exact title of what you are looking for, you're screwed.

Are we gonna see a Google Type "search by keyword" for the boxes, before we are all in pine boxes? LOL! I got to leave the TV, go all the way to the computer, log into My Services, hope that it works, (and it has most of the time) to do a keyword descriptive search for what I want to watch! If the older boxes have memory issues, forget the Cast, Channel, Title and Sports Filters. Just make the boxes search by keywords and nothing else.

Not only does keyword search cover all the bases in searching, it helps customers find their information faster. The addition of this feature will allow a more modern search platform that can integrate Navigator with other TWC search methods. Title searches are just too limited.

Satch

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to DrDrew
I was trying to get a picture of SARA's golf course theme and i cant seem to find it,i believe thats what i used..... (It was the nicest of all of them)

This looks close to it

»ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5037529273663657

The top part where it says "No data available" was the same colour i do remember that

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

why hasn't charter converted the LA systems to passport? The fort worth texas system used to use SARA and now they use passport.

Don't ask me.... Charter sent me a notice saying the guide was going to be changed almost a year ago, but nothing ever happened.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

said by DrDrew:

SARA is an ugly piece of trash... Besides that its VOD client looks totally different than the guide

said by Dude111:

Well i think SARA was georgeous..... I used the Pink Scheme and it was excellent,couldnt have been better!

Are you F'ing serious? This is "gorgeous"? This is an "excellent" cable box GUI color scheme to you? Hot pink, bright yellow, and green? It looks like a drunk, psychedelic, circus clown from the 60s threw up on it. It hurts my eyes every time it pops up.
[att=1]
[att=2]
[att=3]
[att=4]

why hasn't charter converted the LA systems to passport? The fort worth texas system used to use SARA and now they use passport.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to DrDrew
No it wasnt that red colour,i think it might have been GOLF COURSE,i cant remember exactly......... It was a light pink colour when i was viewing the options menu (Like the one you had there)

Satch

reply to Satch
Hey All,

I had an issue last night where my closed captioning did not turn off after turning it off in settings. The only way I could turn it off was to force a cold reboot of the box. Last week or so, an update was pushed to the box.

We recently had new lines and signal tests done and the box was OK.

Satch

Satch

reply to DrDrew
I never had the SARA software,

My friend in the tech biz for twenty years, had it. He described it as extremely reliable. ("Only one recording missed in five years!) But also said, "Butt ugly to look at." Seriously, my C-64 from the mid 80's had a better GUI than that. Passport was the best for both performance and graphics. Some areas of Charter Cable and Cox still use it today.

Navigator still varies way too much performance wise from division to division.

Satch