spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to DocDrew

to DocDrew

Re:  

Syracuse New York, the division with tons of Navigator problems got a TWO HOUR software update download last night. I hope this helps them out!

Satch
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to cypherstream

to cypherstream

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

i have noticed the cisco 4742 boxes are realy slow in the on demand channels when will they fix that ?
Satch

Satch

said by 91862239:

i have noticed the cisco 4742 boxes are realy slow in the on demand channels when will they fix that ?

Is the slowness when a movie or show comes on? Or is getting to the channel list slow, or is everything slow? If it is in waiting for the movie to start-unfortunately, this can be an issue with the node relying information to and from the servers when movies are selected. What's your version of Navigator? Most should be on ODN 5.2.09 or MDN 3.2.05 (Both have the Black Guide.)

I think there are some areas of Texas that are still on the old version 5.1 and 3.0 guides. The Cisco's are supposed to be faster than the Samsungs Many areas are Texas are last to get updates, which sucks!

How are the other areas of the guide in terms of browsing and searching when you are not on an On-Demand channel? Does the On-Demand slowness occur all the time? Or only some of the time? If only some of the time, when did it start?

Satch
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

not so slow any more but now at the end of the on demand show sometimes when I click the exit it freezes have to turn off the cable box then turn it back on

Bluphan
@rr.com

Bluphan to cypherstream

Anon

to cypherstream
4 questions concerning the Favorites Button:

1) Does TWC have any way to have more than 1 Favorites list, such as if different family members want their own Favorites list?

2) Is there any way to pull up the Favorites list to see what channels are in it instead of having to manually go through all of them?

3) Is there any way to filter Navigator so that it only displays a custom list of channels, such as your favorites or frequently used channels?

4) Any other neat tips on using the Favorites function?

Thanks!

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to Satch

Premium Member

to Satch
said by Satch:

On the serious side though, I heard from a customer who had a truck role. The tech said that ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix a lot of these slowdown problems. He said it is gonna hit very soon. He also said that some areas have it now, but I have not heard any mainstream areas that have it yet.

Satch

I'll start by saying I'm in the TWC Raleigh/Durham market, but we have some of the same issues your market has been having... most annoyingly, boxes hang and miss recordings. They usually slow down before this happens. It seems like stability got worse after the update that brought the new color scheme.

My 8640HDC just hung again and I checked the diagnostics after rebooting. Under the Application Information screen, TWC_ODN_6_0_0_19 has shown up but is not loaded. We're still running on 5_2_0_9. However, seeing signs of the new version is encouraging.
Satch

1 edit

1 recommendation

Satch

said by j1349705:

said by Satch:

On the serious side though, I heard from a customer who had a truck role. The tech said that ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix a lot of these slowdown problems. He said it is gonna hit very soon. He also said that some areas have it now, but I have not heard any mainstream areas that have it yet.

Satch

I'll start by saying I'm in the TWC Raleigh/Durham market, but we have some of the same issues your market has been having... most annoyingly, boxes hang and miss recordings. They usually slow down before this happens. It seems like stability got worse after the update that brought the new color scheme.

My 8640HDC just hung again and I checked the diagnostics after rebooting. Under the Application Information screen, TWC_ODN_6_0_0_19 has shown up but is not loaded. We're still running on 5_2_0_9. However, seeing signs of the new version is encouraging.

There was a patch update in many divisions that was released a few days to a week ago. It is going around on the boxes, and AFAIK it is supposed to improve the 30-40 days slow response time that occurs in patterns, where all you can do is reboot the box. This patch is supposed to fix this. It also is supposed to correctly calculate the percent of DVR space used, which was showing up incorrectly on some boxes.

There could be some under the hood preparations for ODN 6.0. I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features. The first to launch will be an Advanced Search filtering system in addition to a new expanded VOD menu.

Satch
Satch

Satch to Bluphan

to Bluphan
said by Bluphan :

4 questions concerning the Favorites Button:

1) Does TWC have any way to have more than 1 Favorites list, such as if different family members want their own Favorites list?

2) Is there any way to pull up the Favorites list to see what channels are in it instead of having to manually go through all of them?

3) Is there any way to filter Navigator so that it only displays a custom list of channels, such as your favorites or frequently used channels?

4) Any other neat tips on using the Favorites function?

Thanks!

AFAIK these are the answers to your questions concerning the Navigator Guide. I-Guide users may be different:

1.) No, only one favorites list is available at this time.

2.) To Add/Remove/or Change Favorite Channels:

A.) Press Settings

B.) Scroll to Quick Settings

C.) Select Favorite Channels.

D.) You can press a desired channel number to get to a channel if you want to make it as a favorite and don't want to take forever to use the Page+/- button to get to it.

E.) Press Select to Make a Channel a Favorite if it doesn't already have a star next to it. Press Select to no longer make a channel a favorite if it has a star next to it.

F.) Follow the prompts on the screen to save your selections and exit accordingly.

3.) Press the Guide Button Twice and you can filter the Time Grid to Show Favorite Channels only. The selection will hold until the customer changes it. Only the Time Grid can be filtered at this time.

Satch
ddeerrff
join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI

ddeerrff to Satch

to Satch
said by Satch:

"I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features."

Really looking forward to that - NOT! Right now, any time my box has to go 'outside' to look for data, it can hang for as long as 60 seconds. Can't imagine how responsive it will be if it has to look outside for all the data.
Satch

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

said by Satch:

"I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features."

Really looking forward to that - NOT! Right now, any time my box has to go 'outside' to look for data, it can hang for as long as 60 seconds. Can't imagine how responsive it will be if it has to look outside for all the data.

I share those same concerns. What the cloud will do is still being developed and tested with the different boxes. It's a solid issue. You free up the boxes' RAM by gradually moving services to the cloud, BUT at what cost, concerning the amount of time delay between button presses and the information coming down from the server to the box?

The last patch update is supposed to fix the percent of used DVR space bug as well as fix the 30-40 day slowdown bug. There might be under the hood preps for ODN 6.0 with this patch.

Ddeerff, what make and model box do you have?

Satch
ddeerrff
Brookfield, WI

ddeerrff

Samsung non-DVR. Probably single tuner.
Satch

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

Samsung non-DVR. Probably single tuner.

Yup,

Non-DVR is single tuner. Try to swap it for a Cisco. They are much faster.

Satch

PS. I heard the Cisco 4642HDC and 4742HDC are very fast.

Smallville
@rr.com

Smallville to cypherstream

Anon

to cypherstream
Does anyone know when Simi Valley will be upgraded to the black guide? We are still on the iGuide I have 3 dcx3200 and 1 dcx3400. I thought the upgrade was supposed to happen a while ago.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Navigator isn't on the DCX3200 or 3400 standard boxes. It's only on the "Whole Home DVR" boxes... the DCX3200m and 3400m.

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo to Smallville

Anon

to Smallville
As stated the new guide is only on the DCX3200-M, DCX3400-M and DCX3510 models. That said, they're still working out the bugs with the new firmware on those boxes, so you may want to hold onto the iGuide boxes. Only certain offices and reps even allow these Navigator boxes to be given out without a whole-house subscription.
Steeve
Premium Member
join:2004-08-19

Steeve

Premium Member

Since the update to the black guide a few weeks ago, my Motorola DCX3400-M started to randomly lose audio (never happened before the update). It usually happens while changing channels. Occurs every 2-3 days to several times a day. The only fix is to unplug, then plug-in and reboot. Very annoying.

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

This also happens on the DCX3510, however changing the channel fixes it every time. I'm inclined to think some oddities are HDMI handshake issues as the screen and sound will readjust 2-3 times when changing channels.
Satch

Satch to Steeve

to Steeve
said by Steeve:

Since the update to the black guide a few weeks ago, my Motorola DCX3400-M started to randomly lose audio (never happened before the update). It usually happens while changing channels. Occurs every 2-3 days to several times a day. The only fix is to unplug, then plug-in and reboot. Very annoying.

Does a switch to Component Cable help? This is a work around for the HDMI problems in some areas. I would try Component Cables and change your settings on the box to reflect this.

Satch

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

Apparently the DCX3200-M has the same bug. Its happened once in several days and a complete plug pull was necessary. If it continues, I will try component cables. I wish the Motorola boxes had just gotten Passport instead of this.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

Time Warner Cable updated to 5.0.2.8 from 5.0.2.6 on our Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR and if you go into the diag menu and flip through channels, soon the text with signal stats will disappear and the box will reboot itself, I've done this about 3-4 times to test and it reboots each time! This is a brand freaking new box, ugh.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Radisc359:

Time Warner Cable updated to 5.0.2.8 from 5.0.2.6 on our Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR and if you go into the diag menu and flip through channels, soon the text with signal stats will disappear and the box will reboot itself, I've done this about 3-4 times to test and it reboots each time! This is a brand freaking new box, ugh.

I am sure there are lots of people doing that.
What happens if you scan through the channels without the Diag menu?

Hob
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

2 edits

Radisc359

Oh yeah I'm sure I'm the only person in my area who does that. No issues with channel surfing, but I was wondering if it was a bug. Tv also doesn't interest me as much as looking for empty qams, a precursor to more Docsis downstream channels.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Radisc359:

Oh yeah I'm sure I'm the only person in my area who does that. No issues with channel surfing, but I was wondering if it was a bug. Tv also doesn't interest me as much as looking for empty qams, a precursor to more Docsis downstream channels.

well you can always hook up your TV directly to the cable line coming into the room and do a search if you have and HDTV and get a feel to see what is on digital cable by doing a channel scan and also typing in 116.1 for example it should go to the next channel on that frequency if no .1 channel is present so you could have 116.5340 or something like that as TWC's SDV system in some areas designate SDV channels similar to that when looking at it via a QAM tuner.

I would recommend getting a two way splitter and putting it behind the tv and cable box that way you can see if TWC has made QAM changes that is what I do in my bedroom so my TV can do PIP as well with clear QAM until TWC encrypts it later on down the line.
Satch

Satch

Syracuse New York just got Navigator 6.0. Reported Speed improvements and "Subscribed Channels" list added to the guide filter. Hope this will address the reliability issues that have been reported.

Satch

mrg54313
@rr.com

mrg54313

Anon

I will be glad to get the new update. I hate scrolling through channels I don't receive.
Satch

Satch

Quote From User About Navigator Guide Slowness:

"It's not the box that sucks, it's the program. Once they went to Maestro, or whatever they call this piece of crapware is, it started this. All my calls to support tell me that this "sometimes" happens. I guess that sometimes is a couple of times a week.
Also, before they went with Maestro, I was getting three or more weeks of program schedules. Now it's no more than a week.
And if it's near the time when they have to update the schedule, it's slower than molasses on a snail in February!"

MY RESPONSE:

The TWC Navigator Guide's performance varies considerably from box to box and division to division. I believe that Navigator was poorly designed from the get-go and that TWC should give up on the software altogether and bring in some programmers, (NOT INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS) but certified STB software developers. Get Passport back, Tivo, Arris, Moxi, Apple, any company who's heart and soul is in STB development.

My view is that TWC sees the set-top box as a matured and dated technology, so they don't want to spend the money for major improvements, because its not a money making asset to their business. TWC does so well with the excellence of the High Speed Internet Service, and Digital Phone, which have been really good! However, I don't think TWC believes a better program guide will attract more subs to their failing cable TV landscape, whereas Internet, Phone, and Mobile Devices are thriving.

I think TWC should just stick to providing the cable TV service, and leave the STB development to those who can do it right with a proven track record of success. (Professional STB programers and testers.) The team is trying with Navigator, but after five years, they aren't even close to where a 2012 cable guide should be concerning reliability and feature sets.

Customers with older boxers, especially some of the non-DVR SA boxes. Try to swap them out for the Cisco's, which are much faster. A new software upgrade was just released in Syracuse New York, (one of the least reliable Navigator divisions), so I am watching to see what this fixes. I hope this does something positive! If TWC could at least get Navigator working reliably across divisions, everything else would at least have the potential to be good concerning the guide.

My judgement is that customers playing $100-$300 a month deserve a better guide concerning reliability and modern features. Mocking an i-Pad color scheme, is next to nothing in the ways of improvement. TWC needs a set-top-box guide that can be reliable and easy to use. Praised, not laughed and cursed at by its competition. And for several years, Navigator has been laughed at and cursed at by its competitors. Customers are leaving TWC Cable TV service because of the Navigator Guide. This is why the guide needs to get better.

Satch

jacko15
@rr.com

jacko15

Anon

Can anyone tell me how to check the ODN version number on my Samsung 3270 stb. I used to be able to do it by holding the select button down for approx. 8 seconds and then hitting the down arrow. This no longer takes me to that diagnostic page. Select up arrow takes me to the pages it used to, but there never was an ODN version there. I'm in the northeast Ohio-northwest PA area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
ddeerrff
Brookfield, WI

ddeerrff

Try entering channel 1900. If it brings up a diagnostics for you, look on page 6.
Satch

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

Try entering channel 1900. If it brings up a diagnostics for you, look on page 6.

Some divisions don't have the Diags channel anymore. Yes, AFAIK, this still works in Wisconsin. We are still at ODN 5.2.09. ODN 6.0 is going to be rolling out to other areas of New York soon. It will probably be more widespread to other states later this month.

Satch

jacko15
@rr.com

jacko15

Anon

1900 doesn't work. Any other ideas?