Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10
reply to scififan68

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

said by scififan68:

Time Warner Cable updated to 5.0.2.8 from 5.0.2.6 on our Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR and if you go into the diag menu and flip through channels, soon the text with signal stats will disappear and the box will reboot itself, I've done this about 3-4 times to test and it reboots each time! This is a brand freaking new box, ugh.

I am sure there are lots of people doing that.
What happens if you scan through the channels without the Diag menu?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

2 edits

Oh yeah I'm sure I'm the only person in my area who does that. No issues with channel surfing, but I was wondering if it was a bug. Tv also doesn't interest me as much as looking for empty qams, a precursor to more Docsis downstream channels.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by scififan68:

Oh yeah I'm sure I'm the only person in my area who does that. No issues with channel surfing, but I was wondering if it was a bug. Tv also doesn't interest me as much as looking for empty qams, a precursor to more Docsis downstream channels.

well you can always hook up your TV directly to the cable line coming into the room and do a search if you have and HDTV and get a feel to see what is on digital cable by doing a channel scan and also typing in 116.1 for example it should go to the next channel on that frequency if no .1 channel is present so you could have 116.5340 or something like that as TWC's SDV system in some areas designate SDV channels similar to that when looking at it via a QAM tuner.

I would recommend getting a two way splitter and putting it behind the tv and cable box that way you can see if TWC has made QAM changes that is what I do in my bedroom so my TV can do PIP as well with clear QAM until TWC encrypts it later on down the line.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

Syracuse New York just got Navigator 6.0. Reported Speed improvements and "Subscribed Channels" list added to the guide filter. Hope this will address the reliability issues that have been reported.

Satch

mrg54313

@rr.com

I will be glad to get the new update. I hate scrolling through channels I don't receive.

Satch

reply to Satch

Quote From User About Navigator Guide Slowness:

"It's not the box that sucks, it's the program. Once they went to Maestro, or whatever they call this piece of crapware is, it started this. All my calls to support tell me that this "sometimes" happens. I guess that sometimes is a couple of times a week.
Also, before they went with Maestro, I was getting three or more weeks of program schedules. Now it's no more than a week.
And if it's near the time when they have to update the schedule, it's slower than molasses on a snail in February!"

MY RESPONSE:

The TWC Navigator Guide's performance varies considerably from box to box and division to division. I believe that Navigator was poorly designed from the get-go and that TWC should give up on the software altogether and bring in some programmers, (NOT INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS) but certified STB software developers. Get Passport back, Tivo, Arris, Moxi, Apple, any company who's heart and soul is in STB development.

My view is that TWC sees the set-top box as a matured and dated technology, so they don't want to spend the money for major improvements, because its not a money making asset to their business. TWC does so well with the excellence of the High Speed Internet Service, and Digital Phone, which have been really good! However, I don't think TWC believes a better program guide will attract more subs to their failing cable TV landscape, whereas Internet, Phone, and Mobile Devices are thriving.

I think TWC should just stick to providing the cable TV service, and leave the STB development to those who can do it right with a proven track record of success. (Professional STB programers and testers.) The team is trying with Navigator, but after five years, they aren't even close to where a 2012 cable guide should be concerning reliability and feature sets.

Customers with older boxers, especially some of the non-DVR SA boxes. Try to swap them out for the Cisco's, which are much faster. A new software upgrade was just released in Syracuse New York, (one of the least reliable Navigator divisions), so I am watching to see what this fixes. I hope this does something positive! If TWC could at least get Navigator working reliably across divisions, everything else would at least have the potential to be good concerning the guide.

My judgement is that customers playing $100-$300 a month deserve a better guide concerning reliability and modern features. Mocking an i-Pad color scheme, is next to nothing in the ways of improvement. TWC needs a set-top-box guide that can be reliable and easy to use. Praised, not laughed and cursed at by its competition. And for several years, Navigator has been laughed at and cursed at by its competitors. Customers are leaving TWC Cable TV service because of the Navigator Guide. This is why the guide needs to get better.

Satch

jacko15

@rr.com

Can anyone tell me how to check the ODN version number on my Samsung 3270 stb. I used to be able to do it by holding the select button down for approx. 8 seconds and then hitting the down arrow. This no longer takes me to that diagnostic page. Select up arrow takes me to the pages it used to, but there never was an ODN version there. I'm in the northeast Ohio-northwest PA area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ddeerrff

join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI

Try entering channel 1900. If it brings up a diagnostics for you, look on page 6.

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

Try entering channel 1900. If it brings up a diagnostics for you, look on page 6.

Some divisions don't have the Diags channel anymore. Yes, AFAIK, this still works in Wisconsin. We are still at ODN 5.2.09. ODN 6.0 is going to be rolling out to other areas of New York soon. It will probably be more widespread to other states later this month.

Satch

jacko15

@rr.com

1900 doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

I'm not sure about the Samsung boxes, but on the Cisco boxes, after you hold down Select until the Power Indicator blinks, if you want to access the diagnostic screens that your thinking of, you have to keep pressing select for a few more seconds until the Mail light blinks and then press the down arrow and on the first page you'll see the firmware version.

Also if you go into the Select+Up diagnostics, when you get in arrow down to ‘Manufacture Diagnostics’ press select and page up to page 12 and the info is there as well. Again this is on Cisco boxes, I don’t know if the Samsung’s are slightly different or not.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

jacko15

@rr.com

Thanks Steve. My Samsung box used to work like that until the update that was pushed to it last Sunday night. Now I can't find the odn version anywhere. The manf. dia. are not there anymore. My SA 4250 box changed too, but I can find the odn version on it much the way you describe the Cisco box. Actually, I believe they're practically identical.

Satch

reply to jacko15

said by jacko15 :

1900 doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Here's an easy way,

Do you have an ODN box, as do most subs? If you do, and it is running Navigator, it has a C in the model number OR is a Samsung:

If you have that C Model box, Press the Guide Button Twice. If you see "Subscribed Channels" listed, this is a new feature that was added to ODN 6.0 with the latest upgrade. If you don't see "Subscribed Channels" in the list and you have a "C" model box, you are on ODN 5.2.09, like most people in TWC Navigator Country.

If you have MDN, this is the legacy software, and is any box that does NOT have a C in the Model number and is NOT a Samsung. The latest update for MDN AFAIK remains at MDN 3.2.05. Future updates for MDN are unknown.

I don't know the distinction with the Navigator boxes on Motorolla set tops. I am not in a division serviced by Motorolla boxes. To my knowledge, subs either have I-Guide or Navigator. If you have Navigator on a Motrolla, it should be at least ODN 5.2.09.

The least likely condition. You have Navigator on the box but don't have the new Black Guide. You are probably on ODN 5.1 or MDN 3.1. I think that covers all the bases.

Satch

jacko15

@rr.com

Thanks Satch! The box in question is a Samsung. If I double press the Guide Button it shows 'All Channels', 'High Definition', 'On Demand', and 'Favorites'. It doesn't show 'Subscribed Channels', so I must assume my ODN version is 5.2.09. That's the same version that's on my SA 4250 box. I guess that answers my question as to what version of ODN is on my Samsung box. Still wish I could discover a way to access the diagnostics page giving that information. Just wondering, will my Samsung box's ODN version always be the same as my SA 4250's version? Or does TWC push updates to a particular box, not to every "C" box in the area?
Thanks for all the information. This forum has been a wealth of information to me.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

"Just wondering, will my Samsung box's ODN version always be the same as my SA 4250's version? Or does TWC push updates to a particular box, not to every "C" box in the area?"

I have never seen updates to individual makes or models of boxes. They have always done every ODN box.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

I can report a small occasional bug with the SA-8300 HDC,

I have the remote set to control both the STB/TV on/off, through the Power Button. It's a TWC Synergy remote, one of the older ones from a few years ago, but it does have the Day +/- buttons.

Sometimes, after I am done watching a show that I have recorded and press Delete Show, the show deletes, but sometimes when I power off the box, like I'm done with TV for the night, the screen will pause instead of Power Off. Or the screen will go black for a second or two and than come back to the live channel being watched in Pause Mode. Hitting the power button a second time, turns off the TV/Cable box as it should.

The workaround that always works, is to wait about 20 to 30 seconds when coming out of playing back the recording of a show before powering off the box. (Whether you choose to Save or Delete a watched recording.) It seems like the playback portion of the DVR when a show is deleted, or stopped. needs several seconds to make the transition back to, "OK, you're done with the DVR and back to Live TV."

I think (but am not sure that my old SA-8300HD (no C) did the same thing from time to time.

Satch

jacko15

@rr.com
reply to hobgoblin

Thanks Hob! That takes care of it for me. I'll just track my ODN version on my SA box.

Satch

I did have that search slowdown a few days ago, which that patch before ODN 6.0 was supposed to fix. I don't have 6.0 yet, but I really hope that fixes the slowdown once and for all! Too many customers are confused by the slowdowns, and some people who may be elderly or have mobility impairments may not be able to get back to unplug the box for a cold reboot when this happens.

ODN 6.0 is supposed to be another speed boost and the cloud service preparation.

Satch

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Satch

said by User About Navigator Guide Slowness :
"It's not the box that sucks, it's the program. Once they went to Maestro, or whatever they call this piece of crapware is, it started this.
They should just drop this piece of ugly trash and bring back sara...... IT WAS FINE ON THAT!!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

SARA is an ugly piece of trash missing support for TWC features like Start Over and Look Back. I don't think it does CallerID on TV either. Besides that its VOD client looks totally different than the guide and in my experience frequently crashes, even on newer boxes.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Well i think SARA was georgeous..... I used the Pink Scheme and it was excellent,couldnt have been better!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

2 edits

said by DrDrew:

SARA is an ugly piece of trash... Besides that its VOD client looks totally different than the guide

said by Dude111:

Well i think SARA was georgeous..... I used the Pink Scheme and it was excellent,couldnt have been better!

Are you F'ing serious? This is "gorgeous"? This is an "excellent" cable box GUI color scheme to you? Hot pink, bright yellow, and green? It looks like a drunk, psychedelic, circus clown from the 60s threw up on it. It hurts my eyes every time it pops up.

--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Satch

I never had the SARA software,

My friend in the tech biz for twenty years, had it. He described it as extremely reliable. ("Only one recording missed in five years!) But also said, "Butt ugly to look at." Seriously, my C-64 from the mid 80's had a better GUI than that. Passport was the best for both performance and graphics. Some areas of Charter Cable and Cox still use it today.

Navigator still varies way too much performance wise from division to division.

Satch

Satch

Hey All,

I had an issue last night where my closed captioning did not turn off after turning it off in settings. The only way I could turn it off was to force a cold reboot of the box. Last week or so, an update was pushed to the box.

We recently had new lines and signal tests done and the box was OK.

Satch

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to DrDrew

No it wasnt that red colour,i think it might have been GOLF COURSE,i cant remember exactly......... It was a light pink colour when i was viewing the options menu (Like the one you had there)

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

said by DrDrew:

SARA is an ugly piece of trash... Besides that its VOD client looks totally different than the guide

said by Dude111:

Are you F'ing serious? This is "gorgeous"? This is an "excellent" cable box GUI color scheme to you? Hot pink, bright yellow, and green? It looks like a drunk, psychedelic, circus clown from the 60s threw up on it. It hurts my eyes every time it pops up.
[att=1]
[att=2]
[att=3]
[att=4]

why hasn't charter converted the LA systems to passport? The fort worth texas system used to use SARA and now they use passport.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by motorola870:

why hasn't charter converted the LA systems to passport? The fort worth texas system used to use SARA and now they use passport.

Don't ask me.... Charter sent me a notice saying the guide was going to be changed almost a year ago, but nothing ever happened.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to DrDrew

I was trying to get a picture of SARA's golf course theme and i cant seem to find it,i believe thats what i used..... (It was the nicest of all of them)

This looks close to it

»ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5037529273663657

The top part where it says "No data available" was the same colour i do remember that

Satch

reply to DrDrew

I had a Navigator issue the other day where the only way I could get Closed Captioning to turn off was a cold reboot. (This is on my SA-8300HDC.) I did report it to the Direct to Tech forum and they are gonna escalate the issue.

Closed Captioning has been wonky on Navigator for many people. But I think there are very few general population people that use it. In fact, I am hearing impaired, and CC did not work on our old SDTV even in the Passport days. When we got our new HDTV and the proper HDMI hookup, it worked.

I think Navigator is getting better, but the improvement process is still very slow. Family members and relatives are still not understanding that the Keyboard Search is Title Based Only and are missing shows because of it. I made a tutorial to show people how to find shows that are not obvious through Title Searches. (For example Sports shows require that you type the exact name of the sport. However, you also have to key for the keyboard the TYPE of sport.

The world "Football" won't show all football games. Want pro football? You have to type "NFL Football" or Pro Baseball type "MLB Baseball." Tennis is really hard, because there can be three or four different types of Tennis matches, theres "US Open", "Wimbleton", different regional matches. But on that stupid title only keyboard, if you don't know the exact title of what you are looking for, you're screwed.

Are we gonna see a Google Type "search by keyword" for the boxes, before we are all in pine boxes? LOL! I got to leave the TV, go all the way to the computer, log into My Services, hope that it works, (and it has most of the time) to do a keyword descriptive search for what I want to watch! If the older boxes have memory issues, forget the Cast, Channel, Title and Sports Filters. Just make the boxes search by keywords and nothing else.

Not only does keyword search cover all the bases in searching, it helps customers find their information faster. The addition of this feature will allow a more modern search platform that can integrate Navigator with other TWC search methods. Title searches are just too limited.

Satch

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

So who associates keywords with the programs for the meta data listing? Does Tribune or Rovi? The box can't figure it out on it's own.