uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cool Dude
Don't Sweat The Small Stuff

join:2000-08-11
Erie, PA
reply to cypherstream

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

I too was upgraded to Mystro, I tried accessing the HD movies to rent and an error message pops up saying, "Not available at this time" error 30. Has anyone had this problem?

AngstMystro

@192.158.61.x
reply to cypherstream
What gets me is that TWC wants $80 to install CableCards in a new Tivo when I could just as easily do it and get rid of Mystro. This is a monopoly! I'm forced to TWC because the satellite guys can't do multiple HD-DVRs without real pain: in the pocketbook and in the arse. Did anyone notice that Mystro was written in Java? That is one reason it is slow as molasses when starting up. Poor coding would explain the reboots and auto-negotiation of resolution problems. The other issues are because the software was made from scratch. I loved the comment made by someone defending this software. "Since it wasn't developed in house we had less control." Why not buy the rights? And even it it was brought in house it would probably be farmed out to an Indian company. This PoS better be worth all the angst. And by the way, if you complain enough you can get upwards of $400 in credits.

http

@verizon.net
reply to nitecourt
Thank you, unplugging it worked.

imaginegrl

join:2008-05-27
Durham, NC
reply to cypherstream
I'm in Durham, NC and was suddenly upgraded to the new Mystro a few weeks ago. Many features are missing in this "upgrade," as several have pointed out. When the guide is displayed, you can no longer select the B button to find all repeats of the selected show. Instead, you have to select B twice and then type in the name of the show, arrow to the left to select the show, then arrow down to find the description of the show you're interested in. That's 4 extra steps! Ridiculous.

KenGW

@tiaa-cref.org
reply to cypherstream
Mystro sucks in comparison to Passport.
Mystro searching by show title is much more difficult and time consuming. Mystro does not have a VCR timer..only a reminder timer, so if you don't fork over for DVR you are mostly out of luck. Mystro tells you that 0n-demand services are often unavailable when you try to start them. Mystro has annoying "loading data" messages that pop up and take you to black screen instead of allowing you to search while maintaining your current program. Mystro does not tell you exactly how long a movie is..it just tells you the length of the window until the next title. That's useless, I can see the window for myself.

FRMorton

@rr.com
reply to cypherstream
This new Mystro software being forced on TWC customers is completely unacceptable.

It is absolutely pathetic and worthless, and anyone even trying to defend this change is either a payed flunky or a complete moron.

The loss of functionality is honestly embarrassing:

1. Can no longer scroll through favorites while in the guide. Using the Favorites button while in the guide now take you out of the guide and actually CHANGES THE CHANNEL! Unacceptable.

2. Can no longer change screen size between zoom, stretch, and normal on the fly with a single button on the remote. Now must enter the cumbersome menu and go through several steps to do this.

3. Loss of functionality of the user guide. Can no longer simply search by title displayed, now must type in the title, and select from a list. Ridiculous.

4. Recorded shows are being skipped, not recorded, and not even marked to be recorded. When I designate to record every instance of a show on every channel, it should be recorded, unless I am trying to use more than the two tuners at once, which I am not. This renders the DVR next to useless.

5. Cannot customize the ugly and hard-to-read guide color.
I have an eye condition which makes some colors hard to look at, and the royal blue retina-burning color is a nightmare.

6. Random reboots and error messages. Slow channel changing, laggy performance, the list goes on and on and on and on! Unbelievable.

I do not give a good goddam why the software was changed. That is not important to me as a customer. What is important to me is that I am now paying for something which is next to worthless.

Either switch back to the original software, upgrade and correct the issues with the current software, get new more functional software, or expect start losing many customers very soon.

sailorlion

join:2008-01-25
Dayton, OH
reply to cypherstream
I am in Centerville, Ohio and I did notice this upgrade in the menu system. I do not like the menu system either. I can not configure the colors like I could with the old system. The channels change rather slowly.

What is the point of this new upgrade?

W8ASA
Noi tieng gi the?

join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cypherstream

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator In Centerville OH

They pused the "upgrade" onto all three boxes in my house, and I must say that this "Mystro" SUCKS BADLY. It is slow, and doesn't maintain the progam information OR give as much information as the other system did. TIME WARNER, how about switching me back. You've made a terrible mistake with MYSTRO, and you know about it last year.

It takes forever to change channels, so I guess TW doesn't care about those of us who like to channel surf. MYSTRO completely takes all the pleasure out of surfing.

A very, very unhappy camper in Ohio, who will shortly have the UVERSE option... and may go there.
--
Microwave and RF Components at www.ohiomicrowave.com

scurvycapn

@rr.com
I'm in Kettering and I can't stand the thing either. It just rebooted on me a few minutes ago when I tried to view the list of recorded programs.

The pamphlet they mailed about the upgrade says it has two weeks of program listings. So far, I haven't been able to view more than six days into the future. And when I do go forward, it takes about fifteen seconds to load the data each time I hit the day forward button. Oh, and can't forget how the video/audio feed cuts out while you do this.

I also noticed the screensaver that appears when you pause a program does not work with HD tvs. It just makes a black 4:3 box in the middle with a bouncing "press play to continue" while the "sidebars" continue to display the paused image. Go go, burn in!

This thing is garbage.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·ProLog
said by scurvycapn :

I also noticed the screensaver that appears when you pause a program does not work with HD tvs. It just makes a black 4:3 box in the middle with a bouncing "press play to continue" while the "sidebars" continue to display the paused image. Go go, burn in!

I-Guide on Motorola boxes do the same thing. I have a feeling that currently deployed cable boxes cannot generate menus in HD resolution. If they could, not only would the menus look sharper on HDTV's, but the graphics would fill the screen 16:9 including the screen saver.

scurvycapn

@rr.com
It just makes no sense to me. You'd think that they would make the software work properly with HD boxes. It still puts sidebars on the guide (why not fullscreen and show us an extra half hour of listings). At least it no longer puts up the sidebars when you hit info a second time. But too bad they get their guide info from TV Guide now and it's only half as informative as what we had before. At least the old screensaver had the pulsing gray bars on the sides.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
I agree. The Guide needs to be streched or something like Direct TV's is.

robotron2084

join:2008-01-10
Chapel Hill, NC

1 edit
My understanding has been that this is a hardware issue. The extra width for the graphics isn't "enabled" until you get to the SA8550 box. You'd have to ask Scientific Atlanta why their previous HD boxes didn't have a larger graphics area. Maybe a lowest common denominator implementation?

What type of box does Direct TV use?

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
They use several manu. to make theres all branded the same

PWB

@rr.com

I'm going to try not paying for Navigator

When I send in my payment this month, I'm going to withhold payment for the "DVR function" since, IMHO, the DVR is not functioning. I'm going to include a note that goes something like this:

Dear Time Warner:

You'll notice that the payment I've made this month is for $9.95 less than what you billed. That's because I withheld the $9.95 part of my bill that's for "DVR FUNCTION". I am not paying for "DVR FUNCTION" because my DVR is no longer functional after being "upgraded" to Navigator. Your support agent suggested that I be patient while Time Warner programmers fix all the problems with the Navigator software. $9.95 is a small price for Time Warner to pay for my patience.

I'll continue to withhold the $9.95 every month until the Navigator software gets all or most of the functions the Passport software had and is as reliable as the Passport software was.

Sincerely,

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
You may wanna do this by going to your local office and discussing this. If you withhold payment, they may decide to "withhold" cable service to you.
--
Usenet Accounts

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rombus

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

said by Rombus:

Also with mystro, to get all the HD channels, all you have to do is hit the yellow triangle A button, and hit the left arrow once, one of the menu items is "HTDV Now" and it lists every HD channel and whats on it, pick one, hit select and you tune right to it.

@ K Patterson:

Simply because they have to, TWC needs Mystro completely launched in an area before they can roll out SDV. The good news is that every bug we have been reporting has been, albet slowly, getting fixed. Things have gotten alot better since they FIRST Rolled it out.
they need to fix the bug when

messages to the box are set to disable but you get the spam anyways

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL
Care to clarify what "messages" you are talking about? Ive lived in NEO and Mid Ohio for over 2 years and have yet to ever see the box get a "message"

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

they need to fix the bug when

messages to the box are set to disable but you get the spam anyways
You have a Moto box with iGuide, not Mystro. The message indicator "disable" option is to turn off the red indicator light on the front of the box when you get a message, nothing more. It's doesn't keep the box from receiving messages.

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA
I think he is still whining about the Emergency Alert System which the cable company has no control over

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
Click for full size
Click for full size
no i am talking about sytem wide meeages

about boxing

it's spam

Rombus
Premium
Goodwater, AL
AFAIK Mystro has no provisions for those sorts of messages

reply to cypherstream
this new software is crap. they rolled this software in cincinnati about a year ago. since then I have went through 3 dvr boxes. the first two I guess it wrecked the hard drive because I couldn't record or watch anything I had recorded in the past. the third one was stuck on an endless rebooting loop. every time I would take one back it would have the old passport on there then I would wake up a few weeks later angry because they upgraded while I was sleep. my brother works in a time warner call center and he said that he spends most of his time answering calls about the software. they should have waited till the got all the bugs out to release it. I guess it makes to much sense to make sense to them.

reply to cypherstream
My TWC DVR and digital box both went into an endless rebooting loop today. I suspect they downloaded a bad firmware, but now there is nothing I can do but swap the boxes. They were absolutely no help on the phone. They blamed it on the switch to DTV and said to expect this for the next few months!

Xrac

join:2008-07-20
united state
reply to cypherstream
Well Welcome Navigator to Central Florida, they have been doing the push here, it started in Orlando and made its way east. I'm in the Daytona Area and Navigator Sucks!! I called in a service call the guy came out and said "ohh its the software sorry nothing I can do for you there's no boxes that work so sorry", "Bye" .. and left.
Its just ridiculous I am spamming this everywhere from here out and doing everything I can to bad mouth TWC until they fix this. this is ridiculous and it needs to be fixed, they are just trying to gather more information about our TV habits and gather statistics, they're not improving the service, nothing about navigator is better than the old guide NOTHING! in actuality the old guide was superior in every way. I was told they will be fixing the bugs in future patches expected out early 2009!! WTF ??

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rombus
said by Rombus:

AFAIK Mystro has no provisions for those sorts of messages
iGuide sucks also

records old an New WHEN set to NEW ONLY

Crashs On demand

endless loop in the on demand menu (on baisc box)

on demand endless number of Purchase Errors

randomley might Purchase premium channels such as cmax etc.. etc..

lacks Auto video output switching

exmanple: the show is in 720p but the box is outputing 1080i It Degrades image Quality

hard drive space might fill up after 4 or 5 recordings

Rombus
Premium
Goodwater, AL
But this thread is not about iguide, its about mystro punker

CARY NC

@rr.com
We were upgraded to this MYSTRO garbage approximately 3 months ago. Since then nothing but problems. Slow, forgets to record, etc. The list is endless compared to how much better passport works. The answer I get from Time Warner is you will get used to it. It has been 3 months and I cannot get used to the slowness, the missing programs, etc. The other day I DVR'd a show. It got stuck in the middle. It wouldnt go any further. I had to get rid of the show. For approx 180.00 a month I should not have to get used to anything!

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to Rombus
Still shows you that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Can't wait until these companies get a clue about how to write good software for these boxes.

Rombus
Premium
Goodwater, AL
said by cypherstream:

Still shows you that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Can't wait until these companies get a clue about how to write good software for these boxes.
Oh i agree, I would be interested in seeing a guide developed by TiVo.