Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
reply to rv65

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

ODN v3.1.0_7 now has series priority.

»hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/2/···27215351

Some good info. This time they fixed bugs and added features.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!

1 edit
reply to cypherstream
ODN also has guide data that rivals passport now. It now shows the actors when it highlights a movie. Not all movies have that data. So far it's getting there. They did a bad thing though in 3.1.0_7. It broke the eSATA integration. I was planning to by an apricorn drive. Maybe I will wait until they improve it. The new colors look better now.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
They must have done the same to MDN v2.4.4-14. If you guys/gals have this new version then let us know. San Diego must be the launch market for ODN v3.1.0_7.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to cypherstream
Also expect next year to be the end of SARA in SARA areas. Some SARA areas are getting Navigator but later next year. Some Navigator features are very much like SARA. It might be another year or 2 before SARA can be replaced.

xtreem2

join:2001-06-22
Cary, NC
I just want the function back in passport that when I search shows, I can see what's on now. If i'm searching for movies, I can care less what's on in two days. I'm there to find out what's on now!
You listening TWC????

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
They removed that from Passport?

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to cypherstream
San Diego was recently upgraded to 3.1.0_11 and the eSATA integration is still broken as usual.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to rv65
said by rv65:

Someday you will be able to buy a TV and then have ODN installed on it.
the funny part is when they Brick your tv when doing a upgrade

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by Anonymous_:

said by rv65:

Someday you will be able to buy a TV and then have ODN installed on it.
the funny part is when they Brick your tv when doing a upgrade
Brick your TV or brick the cable box?
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
RV65 says "TV"

see quote

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to Anonymous_
That would be very bad but the future is tru2way/OCAP. OCAP on a TV won't be out right away. Maybe Tivo will have it. They need to get OCAP working right which requires next generation boxes like the Samsung SMT-H3090. The Samsung SMT-H3090 is going to replace OCAP/tru2way still has it's issues though. It's getting better though. The 8300HDC is ok with OCAP but a better box will probably solve some of it.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
SARA areas in NC most likely Durham are getting Navigator sometime next week.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
Sorry for the confusion. Looks like the Triad area is indeed getting Navigator next week.

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC
said by rv65:

Sorry for the confusion. Looks like the Triad area is indeed getting Navigator next week.
Looks like there was a delay. The inside plant maintenance tech I talked to earlier in December was expecting Triad to go Navigator around this week but wasn't solid on a date. I think they were trying to hit around the same time as U-Verse in Raleigh. Looks like for whatever reason it hasn't happened just yet.

}Davoice

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to cypherstream
New version of ODN has just popped up. Version number is 3.1.1_3 and it's from February 5th. Hopefully San Diego should get it along with the latest MDN.

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL
Mid ohio should be seeing 3.1.1_3 on both MDN and ODN soon if they dont have it already.

I like the tweaked color scheme!

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to cypherstream
Still waiting on an update here in NEO. Still running off 2.4.10_11. Though I suspect they're primarily focused and still working on getting SARA people over to MDN and getting the Tivo tuning adapters and SDV resolved before anything else.

I'm still crossing my fingers these days that at some point they slip and one of these updates re-enables the firewire support on these damn boxes but I doubt I'd be so lucky.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
The SARA boxes will likely stay SARA for a while. There are a few Passport areas. NYC is one of them but they also have ODN. One tech in NYC says they will be the last division to get MDN since they can't afford to have all the problems.

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to cypherstream
Well, in our area we've had the Passport equipment converted to MDN for ages now. Was actually the first thing to go last April before the Navigator ODN boxes even got stocked in the warehouses. And on another forum we have been debating this and I found a particular service on my 8300HDC which reads something similar to SARA_TO_ODN so it's assumed they are at least working on the specific change in some fashion. FWIW, the SARA boxes in our area are largely from the Adelphia and Comcast areas that were 'acquired' years ago. The legacy TWC areas have always been Passport/SA equipment.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to rv65
I kind of like Passport, it works without any headaches. Just my 2 cents.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to Vchat20
San Diego is a former Passport/SA system and they have a Moto division in the northern part of town. San Diego used to be Southwestern Cable TV. TWC acquired them in the late 90s to early 2000's. San Diego also runs TWC Desert Cities which is the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to Rook008
Navigator has gotten much better. It still has it's little problems. They are working on Keyword search and remote scheduling. Maybe they will add some cool new apps. The new Samsung HD-DVR's can't come fast enough. Those boxes have much better hardware than those 8300/8240HDC's. I know some of you like the HDC boxes but those fans are using SARA and not Navigator. My HDC is the one probably causing all these issues. SARA could use a better interface, and a good search function. Now if TWC makes something that will rival a 2009 version of Passport then Navigator might actually be worth it. Right now we are at a 2006 version of Passport feature wise with some unique features.

NY111024

join:2008-02-27
Astoria, NY
reply to cypherstream
TWC rolled out a new version of Navigator ( Mystro) yesterday.
It seems to be slower though. *sigh!

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH

1 edit
reply to cypherstream
One thing that has to be realized with the HDC boxes is that with the software being Java based, it'll take whatever cpu and memory resources you can give it, chew it up, and spit it back out. Not sure of the cpu power, but the 8300HDC only has like 128MB of ram and it's the top dog of OCAP boxes currently outside of the new Samsung units (Which come with 400MHZ dual core RISC processors and 384MB ram standard upgradable to 512MB). Navigator isn't the direct culprit (though could use some optimising), but rather SA/Cisco for underpowering these boxes so much.

Try out an older non-OCAP box that has Navigator MDN loaded. Particular models being the 8000, 8300, 8000HD, 8300HD, and some others. These have it running the Navigator code built for the specific hardware and not generic cross-platform like OCAP. On those boxes, Navigator runs particularly well and leaps and bounds ahead of Navigator ODN. So it's not really the software at fault here.
--

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to NY111024
I guess you have ODN 3.1 then. If it has a different color scheme then you have ODN-3.

Vchat20,

I totally agree. MDN is better since it's optimized for the LCM boxes. The LCM boxes are those old POS SA and Pioneer boxes. The 8300HDC has 2 CPU's. Both of them are Sparc variants running at 250 MHz. MDN is also written in C and not Java. The thing with MDN is that it uses the same techniques on a Pioneer BD-V1100 as does a 8300HD. My 8300HDC is much faster in the guide when you compare it to my 3250HDC. The 8300HDC is basically a hackjob. It's a box that was rushed into market for the July seperable security ban. However MDN on an old Pioneer box is not a fun experience.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to cypherstream
You know.... I received a letter in December 2008 about Time Warner Navigator. The letter stated that "By the end of January" they would start installing Navigator to our digital tuners and DVR's. It included a little handout to what is different, etc.

I can't remember exactly, as I didn't really see a reason to KEEP the letter, I just kept the leaflet, that the letter stated that the rollout would happen "over a time period of a number of weeks" or something like that.

At the same time, they seemed to stop updating the Programming Alerts (nothing new since January) and the HD Channel additions still say "Available in January in these cities" where in the past they were updated pretty regulary.

It would almost seems TWC has been "gagged" as of somewhere in January, and aren't providing anyone with updates.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
I have the 2nd latest version of ODN and it's ok. Some people prefer Passport over Navigator. They might be testing ODN version 3.1.1_3 and MDN 2.4.4-16. San Diego has ODN v3.1.0_11 and MDN 2.4.4-14.

mike_f

join:2007-01-10
Hawthorne, CA

2 edits
I'm definitely one of those people who prefer Passport. I'm a non-DVR user and I agree with previous posters about the missing features in ODN compared with Passport. FYI I'm in the Los Angeles - South Bay area and ODN is at version 2.4.10_11 on my brand new (mfg 1/2009) SA 4250HDC.

My review of Navigator: »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···=1130814

To previous posters having frequent reboots, I feel your pain. After exchanging at least eight STBs (mostly using Passport) with the same symptom this latest one seems stable. IMO the TWC 'repair' staff can't or isn't allowed to fix STBs properly.

Stockholders should be incensed at top management incompetence - TWC reportedly has spent (tens? hundreds? of) millions of $$ to develop Navigator in house when they could have *bought* Aptiv as Gemstar (now part of Macrovision) did for a measly $16 million.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
"TWC reportedly has spent (tens? hundreds? of) millions of $$ to develop Navigator in house "

Links?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Queens Customer

@74.10.138.x
reply to cypherstream
Hello,
I recently moved and subscribed to Time Warner Cable.
I was deeply disappointed to receive a cable box that has NO VCR Timer.
Time Warner boasts that they have given me an HDCable BOX. Quite frankly I find this disgusting.
My friend is an older Time Warner customer and has her cable box with a VCR Timer.
From what I understand its an older version of the "Scientific Atlanta" Cable BOx.

Then Time Warner proceeds to tell me , that I have to go in person to ask for that older box and then on top of that, will be billed $5 extra dollars a month. What sense does that make when its an older box to begin with. There was all this talk about being unable to swap out the box without having the price go higher.

This is absolutely ridiculous. All I want is to be able to tape shows using my VCR, and currently TIME Warner Cable does not allow you to do so.

Customers need to stand up to this idiot-ocracy!!!

And yes, I do hate that new menu. Wish I could customize the colors.