All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
licky
join:2001-01-16
Silver Spring, MD

licky

[Connection Sharing] Simple/fast firewall wired router?

I'm currently using a Netgear FVS318 as the firewall router between my cable modem and my LAN. I don't use the VPN but I do use firewall/port forwarding/DHCP server. This is an 8-port router, and I use all the ports; I don't need wireless support.

This is a great router in all respects except one: the LAN-to-WAN throughput is only about 9Mbs. This sucks because I have 20Mbs/2Mbs service. I was pretty confused as to why my upload speeds were very close to rated but my download speeds were 1/2 until I plugged a machine directly into the modem and saw the full download speeds.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a fairly simple firewall/dhcp/port forwarding router with fast LAN-to-WAN speeds. No VPN needed, no dual-WAN or wireless. 8 ports or more would be nice. And inexpensive if possible

I'm thinking about the FVS328 or 338 as I've had good experience with Netgear. Both have higher throughput. Any other recommendations?

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

1 edit

ironwalker

MVM

You need at least a 100mb wan port.
The Linksys BEFSR41 v.2.0 has 100mb wan port, but, I and others got random disconnects.
So, back in the day I went SMC via threads here, and purchased the Barricade SMC7004ABR great speed, ease of setting up and useage made my year.100mb wan port no disconnects.
Not pricey at all and probably under 50bucks now.

I am on OOL with top tier boost, I recently went with Linksys RVS4000 router/firewall/vpn with 4port gigaswitch, large wan port and handles full boost speeds. Large amount of options although may be overkill for you, may not.Definately a router/firewall that will last you at least 8yrs.
It does have VPN option off by default.
licky
join:2001-01-16
Silver Spring, MD

licky

Thanks for the recommendation ironwalker. I'll definitely take a look at this router. BTW, did you mean the SMC7004VBR? (no SMC7004ABR on the SMC site that I can tell).

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

ironwalker to licky

MVM

to licky
They may not make that one anymore.Mine is the ABR. I would have to check the smc site or if we have an smc forum here to get info on it.

Just keep in mind, you want a 100mb wan port.
After finding one you like, do some research of reviews and forums for owner's perspective of the router.