spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to DotMac4

to DotMac4

Re: Give them an inch, they take a mile.

said by DotMac4:

They should be legislated into not pissing with other peoples' works. What is next, telcos going to have every call you make start only after a 10 second ad spot?
Good idea, quick, someone get a business patent.
netposer
join:2003-02-06
Nashville, NC

netposer to openbox9

to openbox9
That's not a frame or outside the browser. I bet if you looked at the source for that google page the JavaScript would be embedded into the HTML page served to you from google.com.

So what they did is intercept what google sent to you, injected the JS into the source and then gave it to you. So by any definition that is changing the content without google's consent.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to Robert

to Robert
There are better ways to do this. When you connect to WiFi hot spots, they redirect your request to a login page. After you login, you proceed to your original destination.

The bandwidth limit warning could be handled in exactly the same manner without any net neutrality objections.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
They should probably just use a DNS redirect or a temporary port 80 filter to do this sort of thing (much like a Wifi hotspot provider intercepts traffic until authentication or payment is made). That method seeems to be just about as effective, and far less panic-inducing to neutrality purists. Alerting users to their bandwidth use is a good thing for sure, but they should make it disableable and also offer email alerts and an online status page.

DotMac4
Shill H8r
Premium Member
join:2007-10-26
Huntington Beach, CA

DotMac4

Premium Member

Then they wouldn't get to test their new ad revenue mechanism.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
Go away, shill.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

I want to say that the idea of displaying a warning to the user that they are reaching their quota for the month is a great idea ...
Why not just provide the information via a periodic email to the user?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by RARPSL:

said by Robert:

I want to say that the idea of displaying a warning to the user that they are reaching their quota for the month is a great idea ...
That would work, except you would have the folks say "I never got the email" like they do in the Comcast forum "I never got a call".

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by Robert:

said by RARPSL:

said by Robert:

That would work, except you would have the folks say "I never got the email" like they do in the Comcast forum "I never got a call".
There is a SMTP Server log to show that the message was retrieved (although there is no way to insure that the message will actually be viewed or to acknowledge its viewing [DNT can be turned off or bypassed]). On second thought, the suggestion of the WiFi Hotspot intercept might be a better way. The first time you connect to the Web each day, present it (or maybe on some other timed basis so long as it is NOT every new first connect).