uniqs

adisor19
join:2004-10-11

adisor19 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: WOW

said by FFH5:

said by japimp102:

All I can say is WOW these ISP's will do anything for extra money.
Rogers was sending bandwidth account usage messages to their subscribers. They aren't making any MONEY doing that.
They aren't doing any money YET. Give it a few months and you'll see ads in no time.

Adi

swhx7
Premium Member
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

swhx7

Premium Member

How do you know they aren't making money at this?

The example we have an image of is pretty egregious, but using the same technology the ISP could be inserting its own ads alongside the legitimate ads that the website owners have been paid for. Can you tell which ads are inserted at which point as the page travels to you?

What is far worse, this same tech also enables alteration of news stories, search results, and other content, and it would be hard to tell whether we're getting what the publisher intended, or edited or rewritten text instead.

This has to be outlawed before it goes any further. I'm going to write to Congresspeople here in USA. Anyone else who cares about freedom of communication, please do the same.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya

Premium Member

I actually see something done similar to AdBlock etc...

But instead of replacing Ads with 'nothing' you replace them with your own Ads.

Now Rogers Cable (Part of Rogers) does this already through perfectly legal means for TV ads. They will replace a chunk of Ads on a US Station with Canadian based Ads or Public Service time.

Soon, they will be putting in "Ads" between clicks perhaps... just a Commercial Break. You know, the Internet is replacing TV...