uniqs

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Nothing new on this earth!

This is done already by wifi hotspot companies ... enter any page in your browser and you're either hijacked off to their page or they inject stuff to open a new page or some do exactly this and inject content into a loaded page.

This is nothing new.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by sbrook:

This is done already by wifi hotspot companies ... enter any page in your browser and you're either hijacked off to their page or they inject stuff to open a new page or some do exactly this and inject content into a loaded page.

This is nothing new.
A case can be made for this while accessing a free wifi hotspot.

But I reject the notion that it's legitimate communications over my paid-for service.

The ISP has not delivered what I asked for.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

And paid hotspots.

This is only a notification that you're approaching your cap. It's how they can get away with ensuring that you're notified and can't pull the "I didn't know" trick.

I think it would be better if they did it like the hotspot folks do and bring up a separate intercept page rather than injecting code into the page.

Lets be real
@lariat.net

Lets be real to birdfeedr

Anon

to birdfeedr
Why does it make a difference how much you're paying?

To quote an old joke:

A man approaches an attractive woman in a bar, and asks, "Would you sleep with me for $10 million?"

The woman considers the offer for a second and says, "Yes, I would."

"Well, then, how about $10?" asks the man.

"No way," says the woman. "What do you think I am?"

"We've already established what you are," says the man. "Now we're talking price."

In other words, if it's OK for hotspots or "free" services to do it, it's OK for paid services to do it. You do get ads on cable TV, don't you?
popper
join:2006-05-30
Baton Rouge,

popper

quote:
You do get ads on cable TV, don't you?
I've accepted the ads.
It's the constant logo and/or using the lower 25-30% of the screen to run spam during the actual program. This area should be reserved for close caption use only.
This practice has left me no other option than to watch local news only. If something else is worth watching I'll pick it up when it comes out on DVD.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

This is the same essentially the same problem as verio's DNS hijacking throwing up pages you don't want.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Lets be real

MVM

to Lets be real
said by Lets be real :

Why does it make a difference how much you're paying?

In other words, if it's OK for hotspots or "free" services to do it, it's OK for paid services to do it. You do get ads on cable TV, don't you?
Actually, I didn't say it was ok for paid hotspots. You probably mean hotspots at the airport where you pay $8 for the day. Nope, don't use them.

And I do not have cable. I do have FiosTV, but only the local channels. There, I am paying for the delivery of what already has ads in it.

If VZ starts to enhance that delivery, I'll cancel it.

My protest has a lot to do with the creeping acceptance of intrusive advertising.

Like someone posted earlier, I hate it when captions are overlaid by the channel bugs. Makes it hard to read.

Intrusive.