spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zimbabwe

@anonymouse.org

do you pay for incoming calls?

Somebody told me that in the US, you do not pay for calls coming in to your cellphone, and that in Canada you do.

Can anyone fill me in?

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast

On my plan with at&t, an incoming call uses plan minutes just like an outgoing call. So, in a sense, yes, you do pay for them. But the way the plans work, you effectively pay a flat rate for your monthly service, anyway. Unless you go over your monthly allowance of minutes.

Tim
--
"Love consists in overestimating the difference between one woman and another" - George Bernard Shaw
~ Project Hope ~

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to zimbabwe

Ditto on my Verizon plan.

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA
reply to zimbabwe

In the U.S., yes, you do pay for incoming calls as it uses up your minutes the same as if you placed the calls. But since plans offer lots of anytime minutes, and literally unlimited night and weekend minutes, it's OK with me.

Also, since I usually set call forwarding from my home phone to my cellphone when I'm not home, so I can get calls and/or use my cellphone's voicemail, I'm perfectly happy with the way calls are paid for in the U.S. Since it's a local call to my cellphone, all this forwarding does not add one cent to my home phone bill.

zimbabwe

@anonymouse.org

Thanks for the replies. Just after I sent the question I found a good faq for bell mobility charges: »www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=927201

One thing I did not realize is that if you are out of your local area, any calls to the local area you *are* in are treated as local for your cellphone. That is useful when on vacation and calling ahead to a store for hours, etc.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by zimbabwe :

Thanks for the replies. Just after I sent the question I found a good faq for bell mobility charges: »www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=927201

One thing I did not realize is that if you are out of your local area, any calls to the local area you *are* in are treated as local for your cellphone. That is useful when on vacation and calling ahead to a store for hours, etc.
I don't know about other carriers in the USA, but AT&T has done away with "local" plans. All their plans are "nation" plans, so it doesn't matter where you are or where you're calling to within the USA. Calling from anywhere in the USA to anywhere in the USA is a local call as far as AT&T is concerned. Also, it depends on which plan you have but most AT&T plans have unlimited calling between all AT&T wireless customers. They also have "Unity" plans which add on unlimited calling with AT&T landlines as well. And then there's the unlimited calling on nights and weekends, which pretty much all carriers in the USA have.

As far as the free incoming call thing, Nextel used to have a plan where all incoming calls were free. I'm not aware of any other carriers in the USA who had a plan like that, and I don't know if Nextel still offers that plan.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

Incoming is still free on Nextel, and can be added on a Sprint line for free. There's another carrier (maybe TMo or US Cellular?) that has free incoming as well.

If you travel overseas, the caller pays for both their outbound and the recipient's inbound usage for cell calls. Pretty crazy if you call cell numbers from a hotel phone.

K.U. Sweet 16
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Wichita, KS
reply to zimbabwe

As stated Nextel still has free incoming. USCC has free incoming as well as regional plans. Alltel has regional plans as well, but no free incoming.
--
Join #dslr unofficial chat!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to zimbabwe

I pay a monthly fee for a set amount of minutes (1500 minutes). When I make a call or receive a call, they deduct my minutes from the 1500. However, I also have mobile to mobile, so it doesn't up my minutes since most of my friends/family are also on the cingular network.

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

Incoming is still free on Nextel, and can be added on a Sprint line for free. There's another carrier (maybe TMo or US Cellular?) that has free incoming as well.

If you travel overseas, the caller pays for both their outbound and the recipient's inbound usage for cell calls. Pretty crazy if you call cell numbers from a hotel phone.
I'm unsure of this, if I understand this correctly. If I take my AT&T phone to France and use it to answer a call, I think I must pay 99 cents a minute. The person calling me pays whatever he has to for calling my 818-xxx-xxxx number, no matter where I am.

Another thing to be aware of, is if you leave your cellphone on while traveling overseas, and let the phone ring until it's answered by voicemail, you will be charged as if you answered it from there. This has happened to me. I've heard you may be charged for two calls. One to your phone, and another for the forward to voicemail.

To avoid this, leave the phone off when you don't need it, or atleast set it to airplane mode if you need the phone for other purposes (like to take pictures).

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

I was specifically referring to foreigners in their home country, not someone from the US taking their calling plan into another country.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
reply to zimbabwe

US Cellular has free incoming on all National plans. Free incoming minutes are available on all Regional and Prepaid plans except the lowest price plans. Incoming text and picture messaging is free on every plan.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the router, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

2 edits
reply to 60127178

said by 60127178:

As stated Nextel still has free incoming. USCC has free incoming as well as regional plans. Alltel has regional plans as well, but no free incoming.
AT&T Affiliate, Edge Wireless has some unlimited local plans here, where all calls, inbound and outbound are unlimited. Though with AT&T purchasing the 64% they didn't own (Google AT&T purchases Edge Wireless), and will be merging them into AT&T I doubt those plans will be around much longer, though those with existing plans going into the merger will have them grandfathered. US Cellular also offers free incoming here too, though like Edge Wireless's Unlimited plans the unlimited part is ONLY good on their native network, not while roaming. The Third carrier here with service, Verizon, doesn't offer anything like that, and we don't have service from Nextel (or Sprint, or T-Mobile).
--
»www.gorail.org
See MAJOR freight&passenger action@ the Galesburg, IL RailCam! »205.245.189.161:1100/
My soon to be employer,as an Asst.Conductor-
»www.amtrak.com
»www.modocrailroadacademy.com -Grad,Class of 2-07,woohoo!