share rss forum feed

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to OZO

Re: CCleaner vs. Eraser - Is one better than the other?

said by OZO:

I do not use CCleaner or other similar programs on a regular basis. I use another (more personalized) approach instead. I run a BAT file that does its job when I shutdown computer. It contains a collection of all keys/values in registry and folders/files on HD that must be removed as a part of regular cleanup process. It took some time to prepare it, but it's working well. This way I can fine tune keeping or removing every MRU or log file on my computer.
Thanks, OZO.
Excellent suggestion, except I rarely reboot my machine-- once every 7-10 days or so.
So MRU-Blaster comes in quite handy for me.

said by OZO:

said by AB:

. . Just because I don't currently have any .ogg files on my computer doesn't mean I want that file association removed from the media player I have it associated with-- thereby necessitating my re-associating it the next time I open an .ogg file.
A minor annoyance, yet an annoyance nonetheless.
Here is a simple trick to avoid this problem. Create a folder that contains lot of empty files with extensions that you want to keep associations with. Registry cleaners won't even try to remove those associations from registry.
And here's an even simpler trick, from my point of view-- don't run Registry cleaners.

Again-- not that I have any specific axe to grind with CCleaner at all, it's just that that's the way I prefer to play it.
I used Regseeker for a long time, and loved it. And it has a permanent 'ignore' option for any file it finds.
But even that app I finally quit using and uninstalled.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice, however. Those are both good suggestions.

spy1
Welcome to Amerika
Premium
join:2002-06-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

jaykaykay - "The Snowman" hit the nail on the head with his post.

CCleaner is excellent for cleaning all manner of things - even over-writing - or "erasing" - them up to seven times if you set it to do so. (See screenshots).

If you use/run MRU-Blaster, that's fine, too (I do here).

One program I use that sticks out due to the fact that it does NOT over-write/"erase" what it deletes is Index.dat Suite - »support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Prod···datsuite - and since I don't consider something "gone" until it's irretrievable forensically, that's why I do exactly what Snowman said - I run a three-pass wipe on free-space with Eraser after "cleaning up" with CCleaner (and the like).

Trying to set up Eraser to "clean" like CCleaner does would be a very time-consuming, hit-or-miss process - when you could do that part much more easily by checking the applicable boxes in CCleaner, then let Eraser "erase" the previously deleted stuff.

Happy cleaning - but beware, it can turn into a totally useless obsession (present company excepted, of course! ). Pete

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to jaykaykay

I'm confused. You need Eraser (or something like it) to erase everything on your old computer's drive? And you need CCleaner to clean your new drive. Do I have that right? Then why are you asking for comparsions? They do two different things.

I would never use either of those. When I wipe my old drive (so I can use it for True Images now that I have a much larger main hard drive), I will just use SeaTools for DOS which anyone can download for free. It is outstanding and free to anyone. You don't have to have Seagate drives to use it.»www.seagate.com/www/en-us/suppor···seatools

With my old XP Dell that I had to send back to Dell, I used a trial of Acronis Drive Cleanser. »www.acronis.com/enterprise/produ···dex.html
It is outstanding also and offers a variety of standards for obliterating the data on the drive.

As for cleaning my current drives, I don't do that. If I ever think about it (maybe twice a year) I run the best and safest registry cleaner ever created. I use the last free version of RegCleaner, but you can buy a newer version. Far superior to CCleaner which borked my Windows once. I think CCleaner is a total waste of one's money. Most of what it does, you can do yourself easily or use free programs to do those things and the registry cleaning it does is dangerous. Use RegCleaner instead ...either the last free version or a current paid version (jv16PowerTools commercial version »www.macecraft.com/).

RegCleaner (last free version) is the only registry cleaner advised for use by Avira support techs in the Avira forums which I found noteworthy. I'm not sure it will work on Vista though but you are using XP currently and it will work on XP (the free version) in compatibility mode. I'm sure the current paid version needs no compatibility mode.

»www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

2 recommendations

quote:
I think CCleaner is a total waste of one's money.
I think you are confused again because CCleaner is freeware.

Funny how running CCleaner and Regseeker have not caused any issues over the years on my computers. Sure there has been a software bug on occasion but those are fixed pretty quickly by either vendor from what I have seen.

quote:
If I ever think about it (maybe twice a year) I run the best and safest registry cleaner ever created. I use the last free version of RegCleaner, but you can buy a newer version.
The best IN YOUR OPINION which just may not be the opinion of others.

Personally I like the manual cleaning approach and use Regseeker for deep cleaning.

Edit* Eraser BTW can be used for just general cleaning Mele.

Right-click any file and select "Erase" and it is overwritten as many times as you have it set for. Seven times is how I have it set.

If data is very sensitive you should encrypt it first then erase it. If on the outside chance the file was ever recovered it would still be encrypted.

Edit* Correct spelling of; first

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to The Snowman

quote:
Before I do a harddrive "wipe" I will use no less than four cleaners....never less... but sometimes more....then and only then would I use a program such as Eraser.
A hard drive wipe infers you are wiping the entire hard drive so why clean it first?

Did you mean that when you are doing routine cleaning (after uninstalls, tmp fils, logs, mrus etc) you run the 4 cleaning programs then run eraser free space eraser utility?

Thanks
--
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to jaykaykay

CrapCleaner and Registry Cleaner are the only things I use regularly.

I also have a program called Resplendent Registrar for removing those tough to remove registry files.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

I do not believe one is better then the other and used in conjunction with one another are very powerful.

CCleaner is IMO for general purpose cleaning. You know what CCleaner is capable of doing already.

Take that to the next level with Eraser. Any files you may have created (.docs, money backups, quicken backups, email, attachments, images etc)can be best handled IMO with Eraser.

Right-click erase (Seven times myself). Eraser is great IMO for hard drive data security be it wiping the free space or disposal of a hard drive or prepping it for reuse.

When I perform a full cleanup session I run Regseeker, CCleaner, MRU Blaster, Eraser Free Space Wipe, then defrag.

Everyday use I run CCleaner & MRU Blaster. Sensitive files I have created I encrypt using Axcrypt then eras. (Banking, personal email etc...)
--
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

The Snowman
Premium
join:2007-05-20
kudos:4

"Did you mean that when you are doing routine cleaning (after uninstalls, tmp fils, logs, mrus etc) you run the 4 cleaning programs then run eraser free space eraser utility?"

GK, yes, to your question. About the same as you stated that you are doing.

An by the way:

WISHING EVERYONE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla

Thanks.

I thought that was what you meant but did not want to guess your intent.

Happy Holidays yourself.

Bubba17
Less is More
Premium
join:2006-09-21

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

As for cleaning my current drives, I don't do that. If I ever think about it (maybe twice a year) I run the best and safest registry cleaner ever created. I use the last free version of RegCleaner, but you can buy a newer version. Use RegCleaner instead ...either the last free version or a current paid version (jv16PowerTools commercial version »www.macecraft.com/).
I too used RegCleaner for a goodly spell and agree with your quality assessment. Now, the paid version is being called "RegSupreme". I wasn't aware of Avira's forum endorsement but know it is probably the most suggested registry utility by Don, and others, at KL's forum also.

I bought access to jv16PowerTools, which is a tremendous utility suite.

Reliably safe usage of either MaceCraft product simply entails 3 steps:

1) Selecting "Normal" scanning, instead of "Aggressive" (which adds MRU/Data scan and ActiveX/COM/DCOM/OLE/DDE scan).

2) Allow the program to "select all" suggested cleaning instances it discovers from the scan, via pull-down selection.

3) Select "Fix", instead of "Custom Fix" or "Delete", which allows the cleaner to repair/or delete, where applicable.

It is, virtually, bullet proof. Course, I always select, and would suggest to anyone using such utils, to allow the program to make a backup prior to cleaning.

Other cleaners I regularly use in conjunction with jv16's are "Registry Mechanic", which is also very safe and I can highly recommend .. and, CCleaner.
--
HN7000s | Horizons 1 (127W) | Gateway: 1110Mhz | Dish: .98m 2 Watt | Pro+

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything" --Wyatt Earp

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

Thank for the tips. If I ever decide (and I will have to if I get a computer with Vista or Windows 7) to purchase a registry cleaning program, I have always felt I would purchase the current jv16PowerTools so it is very good to know how to run the current regcleaner in the best and safest manner.

I got RegCleaner long before I got broadband and came to this site. It was a friend who is the longtime webmaster of »www.modemsite.com/56k/index.asp
who told me that RegCleaner was the finest registry cleaner and the safest. I was a newbie all those years ago and scared of stuff like that but he said it was very safe unlike most other registry cleaners.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

bcruze

join:2006-03-03
USA
reply to jaykaykay

i've used ccleaner for a while now.

first i've heard of "eraser"

i'll give it a try

ccleaner has been a great tool to speedup deleting stuff at once

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to jaykaykay

Yes. I am still reading and am still taking in everything that has been said. I appreciate everyone's attention to my question and have picked up more education in this one thread than I have in most of late. Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.

jansson_mark
Markus Jansson
Premium
join:2001-08-05
Finland
reply to jaykaykay

I use both. I think its hard to compare, since they are really two different kind of products.

I trust Eraser for wiping not-wanted-files (because its proven that it actually does this very good) and free space on hdd every now and then. CCleaner I use just to get rid of usage logs etc.
--
My computer security & privacy related homepage »www.markusjansson.net
Use HushTools or GnuPG/PGP to encrypt any email before sending it to me to protect our privacy.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Grail Knight

quote:
Funny how running CCleaner and Regseeker have not caused any issues over the years on my computers.
Been running the same 2 apps for years with no problems whatsoever,too.

And I install it on any computer I fix for friends and they love it.
--
~~Get our troops home...now!!~~

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

I consider CCleaner and Regseeker to be essential and are included in any software toolkits I install for others. Be they novice or intermediate users they are easy to use and work.

I will however set certain defaults for both and backup the registry before letting a person have at it so to speak.
--

margag

join:2003-09-26
Quebec, QC

1 edit
reply to ZZZZZZZ

SAme here, I used it (CCleaner) for years now with blind confidence !

Never had any problems.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
kudos:2
reply to Grail Knight

said by Grail Knight:

I consider CCleaner and Regseeker to be essential and are included in any software toolkits I install for others. Be they novice or intermediate users they are easy to use and work.
I will however set certain defaults for both and backup the registry before letting a person have at it so to speak.
Rather than only using the native backup in CCleaner I also always run ERUNT first.
»www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
--
Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink. - Suzuki Roshi

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla

Nice program.

I have used their NTREGOPT before.

These programs have been around for some years and are very reliable IMO.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
reply to Pentangle

said by Pentangle:

. . I also always run ERUNT first.
»www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
said by Grail Knight:

Nice program.
ERUNT roolz, doods!

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
reply to The Snowman

(topic move) CCleaner vs. Eraser - Is one better than the other?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 6 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »CCleaner vs. Eraser - Is one better than the other?