share rss forum feed

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Comcast email address without Comcast service

I am migrating to FIOS and am curious if anyone knows if there is a way to maintain a Comcast email address for a period of time? I realize I could keep the account open, and even drop to an internet only service. But is there a cheaper alternative?

shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD

Consider getting a gmail account - Comcast won't be too kind about letting you keep your address once you drop the service I suspect. I do not use an ISP address much just because of that.
--
Simple rules - no offsides, no intent to maim, everything else is all good!

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

I already have gmail and yahoo. Other family members don't and went thru this when Adelphia became Comcast. And now they will go through it again.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I don't suppose any of them have access to free forwarding services? I use Comcast mail (to avoid the 10-15 min delay on mail going in or out of Gmail), but it all goes through an @alum.xyz.edu address, which will stick around for the remainder of my university's lifetime, regardless of my ISP.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

ComcastOne

@comcast.net
reply to amarryat

said by amarryat:

I am migrating to FIOS and am curious if anyone knows if there is a way to maintain a Comcast email address for a period of time? I realize I could keep the account open, and even drop to an internet only service. But is there a cheaper alternative?
Sorry but there is no way to do that unless you keep your service with comcast active.

nonamessorry

@aliant.net
reply to amarryat

Unfortunately, your email will stay active for a bit, but the system puts in it Delete status after a timeframe, different in each markets. The billing system which disconnects the accounts is linked to the provisioning system which is where your email actually is. Sooo, once your in hard (or even soft) disco, your email will go into deleted status. Now, deleted status doesn't mean gone, its almost like suspending it. it doesn't get purged for a while. If you know a CAE or someone from comcast, they can turn on the transfer flag toggle, which keeps it active.

dot_null
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA
reply to amarryat

I canceled Comcast HSI in May, and I am still able to access my @comcast.net email account (Atlanta market).

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by dot_null:

I canceled Comcast HSI in May, and I am still able to access my @comcast.net email account (Atlanta market).
It seems to sort of be hit or miss whether or not email and web storage gets deleted immediately when you cancel Comcast HSI. I have activated and canceled Comcast HSI several times (I guess I am an optimist, I keep hoping that it will magically work better than the last time). About half the time the email/web storage was deleted immediately (while I was still on the phone with the CSR), and other times it remained active. Perhaps if the CSR who does the disconnect thinks that you may return, the email is left in an active state?
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.
Test your firewall.

nonamessorry

@aliant.net
reply to amarryat

quote:
Perhaps if the CSR who does the disconnect thinks that you may return, the email is left in an active state?

I wish this was the case. Like i said, once the disconnect workorder is made, the billing system tells the email to go deleted, once completed. hypothetically, if the tech never completes the disconnect workorder, it'll never go into Deleted status.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to NetFixer

I moved out of Comcast territory in 2003 to an Adelphia market. In 2006 I was being transitioned to Comcast. For the heck of it, I tried to pick my old Comcast user names. Of course they came back as taken. One of my user names was quite unique, so it made me wonder how someone would have it. On a hunch, I tried to sign in on the Comcast.net home page with it. To my surprise, it signed on. I then tried my other 3 user names with success. So, these 4 user names remained for 3 years after cancellation. With some help from a friend who works for Comcast, I was able to get my old user names back associated with my new transitioned account.
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 edit

Johkal-
I haven't had Comcast HSI since May 06', and my email address is still active.

In fact, I added it as an account on Thunderbird and download emails from it every day, granted it's all spam or emails from websites, etc.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"