how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tnlandsailor

join:2007-12-15
Knoxville, TN

Warning about Leafguard Gutters

For anyone considering Leafguard gutters, I would NOT recommend them. The design is alright, but the company has changed hands and their service and workmanship is terrible. I've had nothing but trouble with them for the last year with no resolution. I'm about ready to have them removed as they are causing damage to the house. Too bad, they were expensive.

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN

Nate425
Premium
join:2005-02-03
Charlottesville, VA

That sucks, those things are expensive. I was looking at them when I needed gutter guards, but ended up going with »www.leaffilter.com/ . They're expensive too, but I live in the woods and can't get on the roof to clean them out, so I needed something and those work really well. You could always take them to court to try to get some sort of resolution, but that could end up costing more than it's worth, not sure.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

1 edit

There is also a new type of "leaf guard" it is a veryu open foam that is inserted in your common gutters and pervents items from getting in. But water can pass through.

Pretty interesting... »www.thegutterstuff.com/

maxpower90

join:2006-10-09
Providence, RI

said by Warzau:

There is also a new type of "leaf guard" it is a veryu open foam that is inserted in your common gutters and pervents items from getting in. But water can pass through.

That is very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Warzau

said by Warzau:

Interesting idea, but I see one big problem. That stuff reminds me of the foam that is inside my aquarium filter. The foam in my aquarium is there as a medium to grow the "good" bacteria in for the tank. I can see this gutter product being real good at growing mold and clogging up during the hot humid summer.
--
Business: MerrittConstruction.com | Personal: KenMerritt.com | Xbox Live:KENMERRITT COM

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

You know you are right. I just shot off a email asking that question. We'll see what response thy have.

maxpower90

join:2006-10-09
Providence, RI

I googled gutterstuff+mold and the sites that sell it state "Gutterstuff’s® inherent properties prevents fungus, mold, or mildew from forming."

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Nate425

I had LeafFilter installed on my place this summer. We looked at LeafGuard but my problem is not so much leaves as it is maple seeds and oak pollen "pods" in the spring. LeafGuard should work, in principle, with leaves, but I just didn't trust it for small debris. So far, so good! I couldn't believe just how fine the screen mesh is on the LeafFilter. They claim even shingle "grit" wont get through it... and I believe them.
--
Every time I think I've hit bottom, somebody throws me a shovel!

Expand your moderator at work

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to tnlandsailor

Re: Warning about Leafguard Gutters

My Leafguard gutters have been great! Maple seeds no problem.
Leafguard is a franchise, so poor service in one city should not be inductive of another city.
I suspect Dennis Collins post is all BS. This is his only post. He makes no specific complaint about the product. He does not ask any help or suggestions. Only offers cheap scare tactics.
If I am wrong Dennis please contact the headquarters I am sure that any real issues will be handled. And tell us about your problems.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here

1 edit

The hit and run thing happens a lot here.

No explanation of the problem(s).
No details of attempted fixes by the person or the company.
No explanation of the "damages" caused by them.

--
Looking for fly shit in pepper.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to tnlandsailor

Pics or it didn't happen.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to walta

I'm glad you had good luck with yours. I shied away from them because a neighbor a few doors down from me had Leafguard installed and he has had to have them come out three times to clean them out (which they did do under the warranty, and at no cost).
--
Every time I think I've hit bottom, somebody throws me a shovel!

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit

As for experience, I happen to have GutterCap, which is one of the several types that cover the cutter and rely on surface tension to pull the water in. I've had them for around 3 years now. Problem here is pine needles with some leaves and some maple "helicopter" seeds from next door. Most everything seems to stay out. I did have one clog which and the installing company came and cleaned out the gutter (which is supposed to be covered for lifetime). (The cause of that one was that the workers failed to remove a strainer in the downspout hole that I had installed years before and also probably failed to clean out the gutter during installation. Their mistake. They paid for it in labor.)

I notice on their website that they appear to also have a sister company that makes a heated version of the cap for cold climates to prevent ice dams. I know nothing of this problem since I live in Georgia. Thought I would mention it in case it was useful to anybody.

I still have to get up on my roof occasionally to blow off pine needles that collect in certain areas where the wind does not seem to blow them away. (Lots of angles in my roof.) But that has nothing to do with the gutters.

(Edit: messed up the url.)
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to tnlandsailor

Got a prompt response re Gutterstuff

Thank you for your inquiry. "Gutterstuff" is similar to aquarium filter, however, our product is manufactured using a coating that contains a Biocide that prevents the growth of Moss and Mildew.
The coating also contains a UV Stabilizer to prevent breakdown from Sunlight

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

Next question about Gutterstuff is how much does it cost? I checked out a couple sites, but I couldn't find one that stated the price.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to tnlandsailor

Could you give us more details regarding the damage this has caused to your home? Pics?

Seems a bit suspicious you sign up and make only one post which is giving a warning about a specific companies product damaging your home.

Details and pics of the damage if you would.

This is your website, right?

»sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

Next question about Gutterstuff is how much does it cost? I checked out a couple sites, but I couldn't find one that stated the price.
The rest of the email asked if I needed nfo for local installer. It seems you can't buy it on your own...

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

That's kind of what I've been finding, which is sorta BS. I can't imagine a more DIY friendly product to install. I'm all for hiring a professional when one is needed, but this is about as easy as it gets.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Buy it here

»www.acehardware.com/product/inde···=2721827

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

Wow, that comes out to $4 a linear foot. That's pretty expensive I think for foam. I can buy the actual metal gutter cover stuff for about that price.
--
Business: MerrittConstruction.com | Personal: KenMerritt.com | Xbox Live:KENMERRITT COM

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Actually I found a gutter place selling it for $8 per foot or $10 installed so that's a deal at $4!

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

I guess that is a deal then, but I still think it's way to much. I'm actually planning on putting up some type of gutter cover next spring. My house has 214 linear feet of gutter, so that foam system would set me back $856. I think that's way to much money considering that amount of foam probably cost them less than $50 to manufacture and ship.
--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

1 edit
reply to tnlandsailor

Here's another idea, a brush (about $3/ft) that lies in the gutter.

I'm in the market for SOMETHING to keep those things clean, too. Maybe I'll try the brush next spring.

ETA: The link! »www.thegutterbrush.com/index.php···ge=index

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to robbin

That's $4/foot. My only concern would be what's 4-5 years of direct sunlight going to do to that material?

JimmySask

join:2004-06-24
Regina, SK

From their website, it looks like a 5 year warranty for the regular, and 25 years for the "Pro" version of their product.
--
I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me too....

lev
Smells better here without the monkey
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL

I was planning on putting this in to my new place. I've had a sample for a while, but had no idea of the cost.

I'll keep y'all posted after the thaw in the spring.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

Wow, that comes out to $4 a linear foot. That's pretty expensive I think for foam. I can buy the actual metal gutter cover stuff for about that price.
For that price I can get mine cleaned for 20 years at $40 a pop. Who buys this stuff?
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

TGFHI

@comcast.net
reply to tnlandsailor

Click for full size
I too have a Englert leafguard gutter system. They just caused some really bad ice dams on my house that led to a huge amount of internal water damage. I know this because the old regular gutters didn't do this. Don't know if I'm going to remove them or look for other corrective action, will have to wait for spring to repair either way.

Thank god for homeowners insurance.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21

said by TGFHI :

homeowners insurance.

homeowners insurance Does not Cover Ice floods