uniqs
khonjo
join:2002-02-16
Palo Alto/CA

1 edit

khonjo

Motolora modem - how to set for bridge mode

The modem is Motorola 2210-02-1006.
BS tech support said just press the reset button for five seconds to set it for bridge mode. I did just that and to test this modem I replaced an existing Westell 6100 being used as ethernet bridge but it did not work.
Could anyone help me set it for bridge mode?

Edit: Despite what was said by the tech support, I attempted to access the modem by 192.168.1.254, but what was displayed was prompting to enter ID and password. If I enter those then it says the installation is complete. I pressed reset button many times but it always ended as above.
clint50
join:2004-02-17
Suwanee, GA

clint50

When you get to the ID part try typing in Admin. Then use the serial number for the password. Go to the Motorola and Westell FAQs here. They have a lot of great info on how to set up your modem.
said by khonjo:

The modem is Motorola 2210-02-1006.
BS tech support said just press the reset button for five seconds to set it for bridge mode. I did just that and to test this modem I replaced an existing Westell 6100 being used as ethernet bridge but it did not work.
Could anyone help me set it for bridge mode?

Edit: Despite what was said by the tech support, I attempted to access the modem by 192.168.1.254, but what was displayed was prompting to enter ID and password. If I enter those then it says the installation is complete. I pressed reset button many times but it always ended as above.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

1 edit

khonjo

said by clint50:

When you get to the ID part try typing in Admin and ser # for password.

I did that and the first display was "Auto Calender Update Configuration". I clicked on "Next", then "Installation Completing. Waiting for DSL Sync....".
So, I still could not get where I could do change of operational mode(router or bridge).

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

DeltaElite to khonjo

to khonjo
Put you user name and password in Because if you dont it will confuse the simple mind of the poor little Motorola and it will not let you past this point untill you do....

Set it to update once a month and let it gain sync....

Go to expert mode then knock yourself pout....
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

said by DeltaElite:

Put you user name and password in
That is exactly what I originally did as mentioned in my original post. I tried it again but the same results were repeated which are also the same when admin and serial # are used instead.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

don't go anywhere because I'm typing up the answer to your question with pictures.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

said by Airwolf7:

don't go anywhere because I'm typing up the answer to your question with pictures.
OK, I will wait for your response with great interest.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

I'm typing it up now, but I'm long winded so it will be a minute.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Please take your time.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

3 edits

Airwolf7 to khonjo

Premium Member

to khonjo

AT&T Southeast Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernet"

Edit.

Duplicate post please delete.
Airwolf7

3 edits

Airwolf7 to khonjo

Premium Member

to khonjo

AT&T Southeast Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernet"

Click for full size
Change to Bridged Ethernet.
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

The Help Desk was telling you how to put your modem into "PPP Passthrough" mode for use with an aftermarket router. This procedure is to be done with the modem's ethernet LAN port connected to the aftermarket router's Ethernet WAN port. The procedure that they were trying to get you to do does not put your modem into "Bridged Ethernet" mode.

"PPP Passthrough" mode is not what you want, what you want is "Bridged Ethernet" mode.

This is what you need to do with the Motorola connected to your computer.

1. Press and hold the reset button on the back of your modem for 10 seconds to fully reset your modem to initial factory defaults.

2. Wait for the modem's Power and DSL LEDs to turn solid green.

3. Open your computer's Internet browser and your modem should launch a mini-setup routine. Enter your FastAccess DSL username in the format of yourusername@bellsouth.net, enter your FastAccess DSL password and confirm your FastAccess DSL password and click next, then there will be an "Auto Calender Update Configuration" page where you will set the auto update info and timezone info so just enter the info and click next.

4. Your browser will refresh the page and say everything is ready to go, this may take a few moments. When this is complete type 192.168.1.254 into your browser's address bar and click on the "Broadband DSL Line" tab then on the right click on Connection configuration. Now refer to the picture labeled "Change to Bridged Ethernet".

This hits the high spots of what you need to do.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Re: AT&T Southeast version Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethern

That is a great response. I confirmed that it is now in bridge mode.

Now, just for future reference purepose, how can I switch it back to router mode? I attempted to access it by 192.168.1.254 but I could no longer.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

2 edits

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Re: AT&T Southeast Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernet"

Click for full size
Change back to PPPoE.
Disconnect the aftermarket router and connect the modem directly to you computer.

There are two options that you can do.

1. Press and hold the reset button for ten seconds and the modem will be reset to initial factory defaults and now you can re-enter your setup info.

2. Manually set your computers IP address to an IP address in the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 and set the subnet mask for 255.255.255.0 and type 192.168.1.254 into your browser's address bar and follow the same steps and change it back to "PPPoE".
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Re: AT&T Southeast ver. Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernnet

2) in your post made me realize that I forgot to do that when I attempted to access it again after setting it for bridge mode. But I wonder how come I could access it previously to set it for bridge mode.
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806

Because DHCP was on and your comp had a routable address.

Airwolf nailed it 100%

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

1 edit

Airwolf7 to khonjo

Premium Member

to khonjo

Re: AT&T Southeast Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernet"

If your modem is in factory default mode then it is a NAT router and it is handing out IP address with it's built-in DHCP server.

If your modem is set to "Bridged Ethernet" mode then the NAT routing and DHCP server is disabled and is not handing out IP addresses and this is why you must reset it or manually assign an IP address to your computer to access the modem at 192.168.1.254.

If you have changed from the default mode to bridged mode and have not yet disconnected your computer from the from the modem then you might still be able to access the modem because your computer has not lost it's IP address that was handed out to it when the modem was acting as a DHCP server.

Edit: Corrected spelling in Subject Line.
Airwolf7

1 edit

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Sorry about the duplicate post and the large delays in my replies. For some reason Broadband Reports has been acting crazy for me today. It after I had typed up my reply and tried to post it, it said that it had received to many requests from my IP address in to short of an amount of time and it would not let my do anything and I lost what I had typed. Then when I came back to the site it said the same thing and told me that I was going to have to wait for a while, or maybe it said it was going to temporally ban me for a while because it had received to many request from my IP address.

I do not know why it is doing this to me because I'm not doing anything that I don't normally do when I'm on this site and my computer has a standard default setup. It had said that one of the reasons it was doing might be because I had some type of software that was trying to download the site or some craziness like that.

Maybe it just does not like my IP address that I have so I'm going to reboot my router and get another WAN IP address.

kanon88
@comcast.net

kanon88 to khonjo

Anon

to khonjo

Re: Motolora modem - how to set for bridge mode

To set any of the ATT/BS modems in bridged mode, you hold the reset button in for 5 seconds; what you were told is absolutely correct.
If you notice....when your modem is authenticated (meaning you surf into the GUI...those 192.168.1.254 numbers and enter your user ID and password...which is by default your primary username and password on your BS account..AKA your BS email address and password)the internet light is on.
That means that the modem is set to PPPoE (point to point protocol over ethernet)and will be assigning an IP address to your computer. When you reset (AKA put in bridged mode) your internet light will either be off or may turn red...meaning that it is in bridged ethernet mode and will pass the IP responsibilities to your router.

The only reason you should then surf into the GUI by typing in the default gateway is if you do not want it in bridged mode anymore. If you don't want to hold the reset button for 5 seconds but want to still put it in bridged mode, you can just surf into the GUI and manually select 'bridged ethernet' as opposed to PPPoE. Please note that you can only do this if the internet light is green, otherwise it will ask you for customer information and you'll be right back where you started.

I don't know why you switched the two modems out, but if you do that I would recommend connecting your router to whichever modem you choose to use, make sure the modem is reset (so that the internet light is off remember?), then powercycle modem, router, then surf into the router IP (it varies by brand, same with username and password for connecting to their IP...you're right though, it usually is admin and password).

Check your routers manual/info....linksys uses 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1, etc. (You can also double check what you should surf to by doing an ipconfig with the Start>>Run>>cmd>>ipconfig and look at the default gateway there) Surf to those numbers, configure the WAN settings, set the protocol to PPPoE and enter the same information that you would for authenticating the modem. Good luck.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

1 edit

Airwolf7

Premium Member

said by kanon88 :

To set any of the ATT/BS modems in bridged mode, you hold the reset button in for 5 seconds; what you were told is absolutely correct.
No you are wrong. To set the modem to "Bridged Ethernet" mode you do what I told the OP to do.

What you and the AT&T Southeast/BellSouth Help Desk tell their customers to do enables "PPP Passthrough" mode this is not "Bridged Ethernet" mode.
-
-
-
Edit: If the Motorola Netopia AT&T Southeast version 2210-02-1006 even has the same "PPP Passthrough" mode as the BellSouth version Westells, and it probably does to keep things uniform across the product line so as not to confuse the Help Desk or customers, then pushing and holding the reset button does not enable "Bridged Ethernet" mode it enables "PPP Passthrough" mode.

Refer to this FAQ below for more info.
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Does resetting the Westell put it into bridged ethernet mode ?

There are two reset modes for the BellSouth version Westells, for the BellSouth version Netopias, and for the AT&T Southeast version Motorola Netopias. This may also be true for the 2WIRE models as well but I have never owned one so I don't know.

These resets should not be judged by the amount of time the reset button is pressed but should be judged by the Power status indicator LED on the modem.

Please note that this is a general description because I don't feel like resetting my Netopia Gateway right now because I don't want to. Some day I might dig out all of my AT&T Southeast/BellSouth version modems/routers/wireless routers/gateways/wireless gateways or what ever people want to call them(they are ADSL Gateways and some of them are wireless also) and document the exact procedure but for now I don't feel like fooling with it.

Mode #1-Reset to initial factory defaults while retaining the users FastAccess DSL login credentials:

While looking at the power LED press and hold the reset button on the back on the modem, the power light will be green, then it will turn amber, then it will turn red, now let off of the reset button when the power light turns red and in a short while it will turn solid green and will be reset back to initial factory defaults while preserving the users FastAccess DSL login credentials. This takes about five seconds.

Mode #2-Reset fully to initial factory defaults deleting all settings including the users FastAccess DSL login credentials.

While looking at the power status LED press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem, the power light will be green, then it will turn amber, then it will turn red, then it will turn amber, then it will turn red, now let off of the reset button when the power light turns red for the second time and in a short while it will turn solid green and will be fully reset back to initial factory defaults and will not preserve any settings. This takes about ten seconds.
Airwolf7

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Bump.
Claybraker
join:2002-04-13
none

Claybraker to kanon88

to kanon88
said by kanon88 :

No No No No No!!!!!!

Advising someone to press the reset button in the back is criminal impersonation of a technician.

Do you know how the network is configured in the first place? What other equipment is connected? How about static ip addresses with pinholes, etc? All that is erased when you press the reset button.

I've lost count of the number of times a minor network glitch has been escalated to a major problem because someone at the help desk instructed the subscriber to press the reset button.

Power cycling is fine, but resetting the modem is a big no-no.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo to Airwolf7

to Airwolf7

Re: AT&T Southeast Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernnet"

said by Airwolf7:

If your modem is in factory default mode then it is a NAT router and it is handing out IP address with it's built-in DHCP server.
Thanks for the explanation.

attstruggle
@bellsouth.net

attstruggle to Airwolf7

Anon

to Airwolf7

Re: AT&T Southeast ver. Motorola 2210-02-1006 "Bridged Ethernnet

you are on point, you even helped me and I just signed up for dsl w/at&t w/ the motorola modem. The at&t guy could not get it into bridge mode(he kept telling me to reset the modem) so I couldn't use my router. But after goign directly to the modem it works now...and I've spent hours working on this. Thanks for your unintended help...you should inform AT&t so they can relay the message to their tech guys who are probably just reading from a sheet of paper.

kanon88
@bellsouth.net

kanon88 to Airwolf7

Anon

to Airwolf7

Re: Motolora modem - how to set for bridge mode

Whether you hold it for 5 or 10 seconds, it will still be reset to factory default. When that internet light stays off after the DSL stops blinking...that means that is is not assigning IP, no matter what you want to call it. When that internet light is off.... you can connect a router and surf into the router's IP and configure its settings. It's as simple as that. Put aside from the dozens of names you can call it, it's simple as long as you don't over complicate it.
kanon88

kanon88 to Airwolf7

Anon

to Airwolf7
Correction: I completely forgot Khonjo, and I do apologize. All Westell and Netopia modems are made to go into bridged mode after resetting (holding the reset button for 5 seconds). Motorola must be done manually after surfing into the gui after being authenticated. You can also do it manually with the modems listed above as well. The reason why when you swapped out the two modems and the motorola didn't work is because the westell, once reset, is in bridged mode, but the motorola wasn't. To whoever as replying to me before, it isn't that complicated...no need to know about the whole history of the manufacturer's instructions to get online. Khonjo, surf into your motorola's gui at 192.168.1.254, switch the protocol to bridged, and you should be good to go. (Don't forget to surf into the router gui after connecting it to make sure the settings are correct and the protocol for the router is at PPPoE.) Sorry for the confusion, hope this helps.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

said by kanon88 :

Khonjo, surf into your motorola's gui at 192.168.1.254, switch the protocol to bridged, and you should be good to go.
You say "surf into gui...". Yes, I exactly attempted to do just that the way I did with other modems(Efficient, Westell,Netopia). The problem was that how to surf into gui with Motolora modem is quite different from any other I know of. Wrong answer from BellSouth's tech support complicated the issue.
I think the Motolora modem should be added to the FAQ since I am sure there are many who are having difficulty setting it for Bridged mode.
FAQFixer
Premium Member
join:2004-06-28
Powder Springs, GA

1 edit

FAQFixer to kanon88

Premium Member

to kanon88
said by kanon88 :

Correction: All Westell and Netopia modems are made to go into bridged mode after resetting (holding the reset button for 5 seconds).
That is not correct...please quit saying it. Default mode is not Bridged Ethernet. That is such a big misconception that there is even an FAQ specifically devoted to it. »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Does resetting the Westell put it into bridged ethernet mode ?
insta_gator
join:2004-05-31
Tucker, GA

insta_gator to khonjo

to khonjo
Why is it necessary to put the modem in bridge mode when using a router anyway? Is it not the same to just leave the modem in the default, non-bridged PPPoE mode and then tell your router to use DHCP? What benefit is there in letting the router provide the PPPoE vs. letting the modem provide the PPPoE? Is it just a matter of which device provides DHCP?

I had the Westell 6100 until yesterday when ATT switched it out for the new Motorola 2200. I noticed that there are 2 modes of bridged Ethernet on the Motorola. Regular "Bridged Ethernet" and "Routed Ethernet" (or something like that). Can someone explain the difference and tell me which I should use for connecting my Linksys router to the Motorola modem?

Thanks,
-Gator
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

If you do not know the difference then there is most probably no benefit for you to use the Motorola 2200 in Bridge Ethernet mode. Please review what your linksys router can do and decide in what mode you want to use the Motorola 2200.
FAQFixer
Premium Member
join:2004-06-28
Powder Springs, GA

FAQFixer

Premium Member

Customers should check out the supplied Motorola 2210 modems a little more in depth. You will find that it has a lot more features then previous modems.