Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

AVG Free Antivirus Conflicting with iTunes

I hope that this is the right forum to post this in.....I have a PC and am running XP Home, SP2. I have iTunes installed and also have AVG Free Antivirus installed. Every night when my AVG does it's regular virus scan, the next morning, my iTunes is messed up. I get the following error message upon opening it:

"The file iTunes Library.itl does not appear to be a valid iTunes Library File. iTunes has created a new iTunes Library and renamed this file to iTunes Library (Damaged).itl"

Every morning, when this happens, when I open iTunes, I have lost all of my album art and have to delete the damaged file, import the iTunes Library back to iTunes (which I have backed up on my desktop), and download all of the album art again. I contacted Apple and they told me that AVG does have a known conflict with iTunes and they have no fix. I really like my AVG and do not want to get rid of it. Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Thanks.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

we tend to be better equipped to handle MacOS X problems than windows problems. I hey modded you over to the Microsoft forum, or perhaps Security, where you can get better help.

leXicon5
Pelosi, SHUT YOUR Fing Pie Hole
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Saint Louis, MO

leXicon5 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Thanks.
Yes, stop scanning that folder. Add it to the "Don't Look In Here" list.
AFAIK, all AV programs allow you to add items that are not to be scanned.
Expand your moderator at work

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to leXicon5

Premium Member

to leXicon5

Re: AVG Free Antivirus Conflicting with iTunes

said by leXicon5:

said by lordpuffer:

Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Thanks.
Yes, stop scanning that folder. Add it to the "Don't Look In Here" list.
AFAIK, all AV programs allow you to add items that are not to be scanned.
Thanks....But I have looked and I don't think that the free version of AVG gives you the option of not scanning certain folders.

leXicon5
Pelosi, SHUT YOUR Fing Pie Hole
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

leXicon5

Premium Member

said by lordpuffer:

But I have looked and I don't think that the free version of AVG gives you the option of not scanning certain folders.
Well I'd go crazy and spend the $29.99 to keep my files from being hosed.
lhamp
Premium Member
join:2000-02-20
Stone Mountain, GA

lhamp to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I have no issues with iTunes and AVG Free on my PC. On my Mac with BootCamp I use Avast for Windows. You might give that a try. Also free.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to leXicon5

Premium Member

to leXicon5
said by leXicon5:

said by lordpuffer:

But I have looked and I don't think that the free version of AVG gives you the option of not scanning certain folders.
leXicon5.....I take exception to your implication that I am too cheap to pay for an antivirus program. I use a free version because I had a stroke and am on disability can barely even pay my bills. Merry Christmas.

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca

Premium Member

said by lordpuffer:
said by leXicon5:
said by lordpuffer:

leXicon5.....I take exception to your implication that I am too cheap to pay for an antivirus program. I use a free version because I had a stroke and am on disability can barely even pay my bills. Merry Christmas.
If your antivirus is actually corrupting/damaging important files on your system, I wouldn't trust it any further. There are other free AVs available for Windows that (IMHO) are better than AVG - Avira AntiVir PE Classic is excellent, and many people like Avast! as well.
Expand your moderator at work

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer

Re: AVG Free Antivirus Conflicting with iTunes

said by lordpuffer:
said by leXicon5:
said by lordpuffer:

I don't think Lex was implying you are cheap.

I know several people who use iTunes and the free version of AVG. But, I don't think they do forced scans.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks everyone....I went into AVG and disabled the "Test" Scan that is run every night. I'll wait until tomorrow morning and see how iTunes works.

I like AVG and am going to try to keep it. It doesn't affect anything else. I just took exception to the post that assumed everyone has the money to purchase things. Maybe leX should have asked first if I could afford to purchase the pay version. I'm sorry, I've had a bad day. I didn't mean to jump to any wrong conclusions.
PentiumIII
join:2002-06-28

PentiumIII

Been running AVG free and iTunes with many scans in between with no issue. I had my AVG to scan all files. Sorry I don't have any insight to your issue but wish you luck in finding the solution.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

1 edit

Cronk to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I would suggest running some tests to try to isolate the source of the problem.

For example, I would try leaving the new library file that is created each day, and see if that is corrupted the next day. If it is not, then that seems to imply there is something wrong with your original library file.

Then I would try putting your library file in, but do not download the album art. If there is no problem the next day, then it would seem to say that there is some problem with the album art you are downloading. If so, try to determine which art is the problem.

Also, are you shutting down iTunes before the scan is run each night?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I have left the new library file each day and it is corrupted the next day. I even had a good backup of all of my iTunes files and deleted all of iTunes and moved the good files to my main hard drive. I still have the problem each day. so it has nothing to do with any of the iTunes files.

I disabled my AVG scan that runs every night and I am still having the problem. The only thing I can think of is when AVG updates every night, that is causing the conflict.
Cronk

1 edit

Cronk to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Have you tried disabling the update to confirm that?
I'd disable it for a day, then run it manually to see if it corrupts the file.

Also is iTunes closed down overnight?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I just found out that the same problem is happening when I restart my computer. So it may or may not be AVG causing the problem.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

You might try uninstalling and reinstallling itunes in case the installation is couurpted.

I don't use itunes myself, so can't speak for its necessity. I use Winamp to play media files. It's free, so can fit any budget.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks....But I have already done that.
Cronk

Cronk to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I would try a selective startup, unchecking everything, and reboot a couple of times. If the problem does not reappear, add things in one at a time to find what is causing it.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks Cronk...That's true, that should isolate it. That was my last resort. I'll have to find the time to do that. I still think it is an AVG program conflicting with it, either the antivirus or antispyare. I really like those programs. If I find out that one of those is the culprit, I will have to get new protection. I guess that I am dreading finding that out.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer

Premium Member

If it's not AVG, the only other program I installed lately is MemTurbo. That program works great freeing memory and I would never get rid of that. Can I uninstall iTunes and re-install it on my internal "slave" drive and run it from there? If so, where would I place my iTunes folder on that drive so that the program recognizes it?
Cronk

Cronk to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I don't know enough about iTunes to answer that.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

If it's not AVG, the only other program I installed lately is MemTurbo. That program works great freeing memory and I would never get rid of that. Can I uninstall iTunes and re-install it on my internal "slave" drive and run it from there? If so, where would I place my iTunes folder on that drive so that the program recognizes it?
Memory optimizers are a waste of time and money. I strongly suggest you get rid of MemTurbo.

There are a few very good articles on the web discussing how memory optimizers are worthless, but here's an article from a Microsoft employee who knows the Windows kernel very well. To read the whole article you need to subscribe, but this sentence is all you need to know: "These utilities [memory optimizers] appear to do useful work, but at best, RAM optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance."

Article by Mark Russinovich (currently working at Microsoft):
»www.windowsitpro.com/Art ··· tml?Ad=1

I would trust Mark Russinovich before I trust some memory optimizer. Mark Russinovich is one of the men that made the Sysinternals software for Windows, and is the man that discovered the Sony Rootkit (using his own software) found on music CDs a while back. He knows what he is talking about.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I believe 100% in what you said, but I do see a performance increase when using MemTurbo. When I use the "Deep Scrub" feature, which I do every two weeks (their tech support instructed me to do it every two weeks), I notice a huge boost in performance. Could MemTurbo be different than the other memory optimizers?

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme

MVM

To me it sounds like it's "Scrubbing" so deep that it's corrupting memory that applications are using.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

The only application that I am having a problem with is iTunes. I do not believe that it could be MemTurbo that is causing the problem, for the problem with iTunes happens overnight, and MemTurbo does nothing overnight. Also, when I restart my computer, all MemTurbo does is load up but does nothing else. The only application on my computer that runs every night is both AVG Antivirus and Antispyware.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Trust me, I am not saying that MemTurbo is the greatest invention by man, and if I saw that it was giving me any problems I would uninstall it in an instant. But right now, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

Try disabling MemTurbo for a while and then see if iTunes still has issues.